IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

Iran chased the ball up the pitch and left gaps for us to play through, the US have given Wales a blue print of how to not over commit, mark well and frustrate us.

My guess is Wales will try to copy the US in the 1st half and go for a late goal to sneak it. Long free kicks into the box at Moore or a Bale set piece. I can't see it being pretty and could be a tense finish. Hope I am wrong, an early England goal would change it around.

Glad I am not in Tenerife....

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Last 16 game will be either Saturday 3pm if we finish 2nd, or Sunday at 7pm if we top the group.

I have a work do on Sat 10th evening  which if we win the group win the last 16 game is on that sat night. I would prefer us to finish 2nd!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Iran chased the ball up the pitch and left gaps for us to play through, the US have given Wales a blue print of how to not over commit, mark well and frustrate us.

My guess is Wales will try to copy the US in the 1st half and go for a late goal to sneak it. Long free kicks into the box at Moore or a Bale set piece. I can't see it being pretty and could be a tense finish. Hope I am wrong, an early England goal would change it around.

Condensed Version 

Tenerife 

Shit hole way down south ish

23 minutes ago, Super said:

I have a work do on Sat 10th evening  which if we win the group win the last 16 game is on that sat night. I would prefer us to finish 2nd!

I'm in hospital for 3 or 4 days from 4th Dec having my knee replaced so will miss a few games which is a right royal pisser.

1 hour ago, SinéadB said:

He will, he's on press duties. Think Bellingham might be dropped as he looked shattered the other day.

According to Sky Sports News Henderson is starting, but so is Bellingham.

They claim that Walker also starts, with Foden and Rashford up front with Kane.

Edited by Stortz

18 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Is it? We've played 78 games in major tournaments in that time. 15 0-0 out of 78 doesn't feel embarrassing.

How do other "top" nations compare?

Since 1980 when Group stages were introduced at European Championships England have had 15 0-0 draws in 81 games.

Below is the comparable record for the other 'top' European Nations.
Portugal - 65 games, 6 0-0 draws.
Italy - 89 games, 10 0-0 draws.
Germany - 113 games. 7 0-0 draws.
Netherlands - 73 games. 10 0-0 draws.
Belgium - 61 games, 2 0-0 draws.
Spain - 89 Matches, 9 0-0 draws.
France - 89 Matches, 11 0-0 draws.

All bar one of those Nations have won major tournaments in that time. England are and have been too defensive and have had a negative approach in many many major tournament matches.
It feels like every tournament we will have a dull 0-0 draw. USA 2022, Scotland 2020, Slovakia 2016, Algeria 2010, Nigeria 2002.

It aint good enough

Edited by 2015

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

See, I just think US are well structured, know when to trigger, etc.  it’s not like we walked the ball into their half, we struggled to get it over the half-way line.  I didn’t think Iran pressed up up the bitch, just that they were poor, pressing as individuals, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Now that was pathetic. I was hoping all that sort of carry on was firmly in the past but there are a new breed of idiot that seem to have sprung up. 

2 hours ago, Super said:

I think Henderson might play. Midfield was weak the other night.

And how will Henderson strengthen it?  He just runs around aimlessly pointing at people and making the wrong decision - passes when he should shoot and shoots wildly when he should pass.  If he didn't play for Liverpool he would be nowhere near the squad.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

And how will Henderson strengthen it?  He just runs around aimlessly pointing at people and making the wrong decision - passes when he should shoot and shoots wildly when he should pass.  If he didn't play for Liverpool he would be nowhere near the squad.

Guessing Klopp and Southgate know a little more than you......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

Surely the fact he does play for Liverpool says something.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Below is the comparable record for the other 'top' European Nations.
Portugal - 65 games, 6 0-0 draws. 9.2%
Italy - 89 games, 10 0-0 draws. 11.2%
Germany - 113 games. 7 0-0 draws. 6.2%
Netherlands - 73 games. 10 0-0 draws. 13.7%
Belgium - 61 games, 2 0-0 draws. 3.2%
Spain - 89 Matches, 9 0-0 draws. 10.1%
France - 89 Matches, 11 0-0 draws. 12.4%

Ok, so our 0-0 rate is 18.5%, these other countries are as I post above. So yes we have had proportionally more 0-0s than all of these.

I guess my question then is why does the rate of 0-0s constitute embarrassment? a 0-0 gives you exactly the same result as a 5-5 - you get 1 point and neutral goal difference in a group game, and you get extra time plus possible penalties in a knockout game. Is it just entertainment value you're concerned with?

Personally, I think the general number of games played and the number of trophies won is the bigger embarrassment. Looking at your figures we are far closer to Netherlands, Belgium and Portugal than to France, Germany or Spain in that regard, and I know that most of us and those at the FA would think England are more in the category of those last three countries than the first three.

• Like 1