IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ok, so our 0-0 rate is 18.5%, these other countries are as I post above. So yes we have had proportionally more 0-0s than all of these.

I guess my question then is why does the rate of 0-0s constitute embarrassment? a 0-0 gives you exactly the same result as a 5-5 - you get 1 point and neutral goal difference in a group game, and you get extra time plus possible penalties in a knockout game. Is it just entertainment value you're concerned with?

Quite. Also, I'm struggling to think of a major tournament winner that hasn't been built on a very strong defensive unit. 

Also, it is very unusual for winners of the world cup to win all seven games. Last team to do that was Brazil in 2002 I think. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Quite. Also, I'm struggling to think of a major tournament winner that hasn't been built on a very strong defensive unit. 

Also, it is very unusual for winners of the world cup to win all seven games. Last team to do that was Brazil in 2002 I think. 

I think it is fair to say "England have too many 0-0s at tournaments, I don't find it entertaining". That's a reasonable criticism, and is in my opinion probably fair. Certainly in my lifetime I can think of a handful of truly entertaining England World Cup games, and they don't all end in a win. There's Netherlands in Euro 96, Germany Euro 2020(1), Panama in 2018, and maybe  Argentina 98 (which we drew then lost).

I wonder, if we drew every knockout game 0-0 and progressed on penalties each time, to win the final 0-0 and then again on penalties...would people complain? I suspect the answer is yes, it would certainly be commented on, we'd probably see reports and discussion similar to the Rugby win in 2003 which England won through relatively boring/attritional mauls and the kicking prowess of Wilkinson. It's a win, and England's name is on the trophy, but were those performances entertaining? Probably not if we are honest.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Was chatting to my mate the other day about this. Brazil, despite being famed for their flair, often had a great pair of defenders and a DM who never got enough praise. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I haven’t sat through countless boring, pass sideways, backwards friendlies and qualifying games for f*****g Handbrake Henderson to turn up and play 90 minutes in the actual tournament. 

We had more control the other night when he came on. We were in danger of losing that game.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was chatting to my mate the other day about this. Brazil, despite being famed for their flair, often had a great pair of defenders and a DM who never got enough praise. 

Solid defensive midfielders are always key. 

That brazil side had Gilberto Silva. A fantastic player who went so far under the radar in arsenal's invincible season, its unreal. 

As you say, for all the players in front of him like Ronaldo, Henry, Pires, Rivaldo etc, he was the reason they were allowed to play that way because of the safety net he provided. 

Same with Makelele with the teams he played for. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Super said:

We had more control the other night when he came on. We were in danger of losing that game.

Interesting debate though, pundit on the radio justifying Southgate’s slow, ponderous football by saying we haven’t got the players to deliver a winning side by playing the new, entertaining ‘basketball’ gung-ho style of play. 

I think we have, but Southgate has been stamping his mark on our national game for so long now, I suppose it’s difficult to switch to consistently deliver anything other than the slow-ball game during this tournament.

Let’s hope he has made the right call - he’s been given the time and a decent set of players - and this is the tournament we deliver the trophy.

10 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Interesting debate though, pundit on the radio justifying Southgate’s slow, ponderous football by saying we haven’t got the players to deliver a winning side by playing the new, entertaining ‘basketball’ gung-ho style of play. 

I think we have, but Southgate has been stamping his mark on our national game for so long now, I suppose it’s difficult to switch to consistently deliver anything other than the slow-ball game during this tournament.

Let’s hope he has made the right call - he’s been given the time and a decent set of players - and this is the tournament we deliver the trophy.

I'm somewhere in the middle on it.

I think for differing reasons vs Spain, Brazil, and maybe France we might be pushed back, outmanouvered in midfield if we took it to them. Not to say we can't be positive without the ball so to speak but vs several sides I think trying to dominate all areas would leave us with a problem.

However that's for deep into the tournament, I think a genuinely positive 4-3-3 would serve us well.

Pickford

Back 4

Foden Rice Bellingham

Kane

Then perhaps perm 2 of Saka, Grealish, Mount, Sterling and Maddison, maybe even keep the basic shape the same but just tweak it and the personnel a bit depending on opposition.

Whether we win the tournament hard to say.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm somewhere in the middle on it.

I think for differing reasons vs Spain, Brazil, and maybe France we might be pushed back, outmanouvered in midfield if we took it to them. Not to say we can't be positive without the ball so to speak but vs several sides I think trying to dominate all areas would leave us with a problem.

However that's for deep into the tournament, I think a genuinely positive 4-3-3 would serve us well.

Pickford

Back 4

Foden Rice Bellingham

Kane

Then perhaps perm 2 of Saka, Grealish, Mount, Sterling and Maddison, maybe even keep the basic shape the same but just tweak it and the personnel a bit depending on opposition.

Whether we win the tournament hard to say.

If you play Foden, surely it has to be at the expense of either Saka or Sterling not Mount. Can't remember him playing midfield for his club. He is more effective coming in from out wide.

Personally think the team will be

Pickford

Walker Stones.  Maguire

Phillips

Henderson.   Bellingham 

Rashford.                                         Grealish

Kane.           Sterling

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ok, so our 0-0 rate is 18.5%, these other countries are as I post above. So yes we have had proportionally more 0-0s than all of these.

I guess my question then is why does the rate of 0-0s constitute embarrassment? a 0-0 gives you exactly the same result as a 5-5 - you get 1 point and neutral goal difference in a group game, and you get extra time plus possible penalties in a knockout game. Is it just entertainment value you're concerned with?

Personally, I think the general number of games played and the number of trophies won is the bigger embarrassment. Looking at your figures we are far closer to Netherlands, Belgium and Portugal than to France, Germany or Spain in that regard, and I know that most of us and those at the FA would think England are more in the category of those last three countries than the first 

I was wrong about it being embarassing, but it's certainly not a great record and neither is the trophy tally.

What is true is that major tournaments are usually won by those who have a solid defence first, but i'm just correlating the fact in most major tournaments we have a very average 0-0 game in us which isn't exactly the most confidence boosting for the team. I just want to see England do well and not be let down time after time with drab performances like Friday's was and how the Nations League was.

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I was wrong about it being embarassing, but it's certainly not a great record and neither is the trophy tally.

What is true is that major tournaments are usually won by those who have a solid defence first, but i'm just correlating the fact in most major tournaments we have a very average 0-0 game in us which isn't exactly the most confidence boosting for the team. I just want to see England do well and not be let down time after time with drab performances like Friday's was and how the Nations League was.

That's all fair.

I guess I'd just say to focus on the 6-2 v Iran or the 6-1 v Panama rather than the 0-0s. I understand that as fans we focus on the most recent result, but there are bright spots of joy to be found in these tournaments, even if they are scattered amongst the drab beige of the 0-0.

For my two pence - I'll be surprised if England v Wales is 0-0.

Edited by ExiledAjax

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

That's all fair.

I guess I'd just say to focus on the 6-2 v Iran or the 6-1 v Panama rather than the 0-0s. I understand that as fans we focus on the most recent result, but there are bright spots of joy to be found in these tournaments, even if they are scattered amongst the drab beige of the 0-0.

For my two pence - I'll be surprised if England v Wales is 0-0.

Now you've said it ?

• Haha 1