IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, decent performance that. We didn’t need to go gung-ho…controlled performance.  Tournament football in the group stages is often a bit like this, sussing your opponent out, not leaving yourself a mountain to climb…which we’ve done so often.  First two games / results allows us to play how we want.

Well done….now onto Sunday and onto FDS (Famara Diedhiou’s Senegal).

And , why did we need to charge around full throttle - we were all but through 

Safe the legs for Sunday

I thought we looked several levels above and long time since I’ve seen such a one sided game control wise

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I appreciate the respect.

But it is silly that we have four FAs and four teams for one sovereign state. Might as well let Spain enter a Spanish team, a Basque team and a Catalan team, or let Bavaria, Prussia, Hanover and Swabia all form an FA and get involved.

I'll leave it there and let everyone enjoy the 3-0, but it's a stupid, divisive, archaic system.

Good luck taking your proposals to the Welsh and Scottish!

Well done to England. I thought they'd struggle to get out of the group (I expected more from Iran) but they eased through. After a so so 1st half where Rashford missed a great chance and made 3 really sloppy passes, they improved much in the 2nd period. Had much to do with switching Rashford and Foden who for me plays much better coming in from the left (and the reason Grealish gets little game time). I know Rashford scored twice but MOTM for me was Bellingham. He really does help this England side tick. Senegal next which will be far from easy. 

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I can't help thinking that a lot of the moaning about the first half was people who'd decided in advance that it was going to be shit, regardless of what might actually happen on the pitch.

It was the same people saying England would struggle to get through the group. 

Yet here we are... 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I can't help thinking that a lot of the moaning about the first half was people who'd decided in advance that it was going to be shit, regardless of what might actually happen on the pitch.

Bit like our match day threads where if the balls not hitting the back of the oppositions net every 15 mins 

......we are poor , it’s s**t .......

• Like 2

Just back from my flu jab, did I miss anything?

Only joking, I went early. Very solid performance, nice to see some snappy passing, it doesn't always work but is key.

Wales - very poor, never even had a spell of possession. Will they fade in the future without the Bale/Ramsey era? Good singing though.

USA could well cause a surprise.

2 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Just back from my flu jab, did I miss anything?

Only joking, I went early. Very solid performance, nice to see some snappy passing, it doesn't always work but is key.

Wales - very poor, never even had a spell of possession. Will they fade in the future without the Bale/Ramsey era? Good singing though.

USA could well cause a surprise.

I expect your mind was taken to the game though.....

I bet when the nurse said ‘Just a small pri*k ‘ ..........your thoughts immediately  turned to Joe Allen 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It was the same people saying England would struggle to get through the group. 

Yet here we are... 

Always felt QFs were par for us this time round. Thought France, Spain, Brazil, Argentina were best coming in and we would do well to beat any of them. Not entirely worked out that way. Got to get past Senegal first, but assuming that likely to be France. No disgrace to go out then if that is the outcome, but we are capable of good matches. Get there first and then who knows.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

USA Netherlands will be a very interesting game

Van Gaal didn't take kindly to Dutch journalists saying how boring his team are but they have looked pretty pedestrian. Luckily for them Gakpo is in great form.

Imagine the response though if England only beat Qatar 2-0. Instead this is the first England team to score 9 goals in the group stage. Southgate out!?