IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Wales shouldn't even be a team. Neither should England. It's mad that the UK gets to enter 4 teams just because of a quirk of history.

On a separate point I reckon continental champions should automatically qualify for the WC.

What about the old Soviet Union or Yugoslavia.

All the four Great Britain are separate countries

4 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

The old Soviet Union and Yugoslavia no longer exist.

The UK (not GB) components are not countries according to the UN, don't have their own governments or leaders. Each is as much a country as Catalonia. I.e. Not.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Hilarious. Won’t have a bad word said about this team mind ?

They are absolutely trash but this whole ‘proud to even be here’ stuff is a little wide of the mark no? Pretty much most of tonight’s starting line up either play or have played in the prem. 

It’s just the typical, hackneyed “brave plucky Celts” trope that is always trotted out. That and “gave their all” - by no stretch of the imagination could you say Wales showed pride at this WC or even gave their all. They were dreadful. Euro 2016 they did superbly well but here? No.

21 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

A better example, I think, would be the Faroe Islands - clearly a proud nation distinct from Denmark but not with complete sovereignty. Yugoslavia and USSR obviously competed under one banner.

I’d never support a United UK team and I suspect the overwhelming majority of football fans in the four Home Nations would concur.

To me, as unpalatable as us merging with the Rent Boys from the P*sspoorial Mound to form Bristol United. Would it make us more successful? Arguably. Would that be a price worth paying? Absolutely not.

Edited by WessexPest
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I appreciate the respect.

But it is silly that we have four FAs and four teams for one sovereign state. Might as well let Spain enter a Spanish team, a Basque team and a Catalan team, or let Bavaria, Prussia, Hanover and Swabia all form an FA and get involved.

I'll leave it there and let everyone enjoy the 3-0, but it's a stupid, divisive, archaic system.

The trouble is a UK team would probably have to have Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish players in it to keep everyone happy, and then we'd be shit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

?

Screenshot_20221129-222708_Facebook.jpg

Thornbury Town ?

5 minutes ago, Calculus said:

The old Soviet Union and Yugoslavia no longer exist.

The UK (not GB) components are not countries according to the UN, don't have their own governments or leaders. Each is as much a country as Catalonia. I.e. Not.

The ISO recognises Wales as a country. Let's be honest; of course it's a ******* country. 

1 minute ago, WessexPest said:

Indeed. Centuries of being a nation. Unlike Italy and Germany which are relatively very recent constructs.

If my history serves me correct the Welsh formed part of the original Britains along with the Bretons and Celts too. They were on these islands long before the Normans and Anglo Saxons (what became England/English). 

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If my history serves me correct the Welsh formed part of the original Britains along with the Bretons and Celts too. They were on these islands long before the Normans and Anglo Saxons (what became England/English). 

proper Welsh women have dark hair or grey if they are older

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sort of. Everyone in Great Britain is of mixed genetic stock, though. The Welsh didnt sprout out of the ground from the Rhonda and were “comeovers” themselves albeit earlier (I think from Azerbaijan). The Scotti hopped over from the Emerald Isle and absorbed the Picts.  The “native” population of the island is a blend of Romano-British, Saxon, Angle, Norman, Jute, Viking. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, lenred said:

Even after defeat the Welsh love in continues on the beeb.  Goldie Looking Chain (!!) are on Newsnight discussing how the World Cup has changed the Welsh identity. I love the Beeb and will defend it to the hilt but FFS, what is going on with this coverage?!

The BBC are trying to promote equality - that’s why we see and hear so many female pundits and commentators these days.

Personally I find one particular female commentator extremely grating whenever there’s an exciting episode of play. Her high pitched excitable voice doesn’t sit right to me. 

I actually watch BBC far more than ITV. I find the absence of advertising a significant bonus.

As for the Welsh - well done for reaching the WC finals but unfortunately they were cruelly exposed.

Much like a City match day thread, I can't be bothered to work my way through the comments of those who know so much more about football than the professionals, so hopefully someone else has said....

That was as close to a perfect performance as you will see in modern day football. Wales are not a great side, but there was always a chance that they would ride in to the game on a wave of nationalism and emotion, so England took any chance of that away from them. 

They held on to the ball for about 30 minutes and stopped the Welsh from getting a foothold, then the rest off the first half they slowly turned the screw, tighter and tighter. In the 2nd half they put their foot on their neck and never let them off the floor, they were completely demolished and demoralised. It was beautiful to watch. 

The good news for the Welsh fans is, they can go back to watching rugby now. :)

The bad news for the England fans is that a 96th minute winner by Famara is now inevitable. :(

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, BigTone said:

You and me both

Not sure whether Holland or Senegal would be any easier having watched both games. I suppose it depends on which England turn up , have you ever thought that watching city seems to mirror our national team you never know which team will turn up?

3 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Easier said than done when the opposition is sticking ten men behind the ball and showing zero ambition. As the game goes on, we’ll have more chances because Wales will have to open up a bit.

Said exactly the same thing live, some people including my own brother expect miracles we were proved right in the end though.

3 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

It’s called the World Cup. Meaning the world, not just a few. 

And exactly how long should the tournament be? it's already nearly a month and already that seems an eternity, yes in the summer under a normal schedule we could fit it in but clubs are already complaining the season is too long. 

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The BBC are trying to promote equality - that’s why we see and hear so many female pundits and commentators these days.

Personally I find one particular female commentator extremely grating whenever there’s an exciting episode of play. Her high pitched excitable voice doesn’t sit right to me. 

I actually watch BBC far more than ITV. I find the absence of advertising a significant bonus.

As for the Welsh - well done for reaching the WC finals but unfortunately they were cruelly exposed.

Vickie Sparks by any chance?

1 hour ago, WessexPest said:

Sort of. Everyone in Great Britain is of mixed genetic stock, though. The Welsh didnt sprout out of the ground from the Rhonda and were “comeovers” themselves albeit earlier (I think from Azerbaijan). 

Their footballing decendents......

image.png.e8f54777ed540bb9329126d0869c3343.png

image.png.77731a6246fb769004c99c187cb34a84.png 

image.png.87d6293e3f657931fa6e9c7235fb9a11.png

Sorry Wessex. I thought you said combovers!:D

• Haha 4