IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Me too. I have Welsh relatives who have wished England well for the rest of the campaign. Most are switched on enough to realise that merely making the finals was their team's achievement. 

Maybe it's because I grew up well to the south of Bristol, but I don't share this loathing of all things Welsh that some Bristolians seem to have. There's a hell of a lot of Bristolians with Welsh surnames, suggesting quite a lot of south Walesians came over and were Anglicised in the past. 

Yes my dad was a city fan but born in Mountain Ash, grew up in WSM. 
I have a friend from Bristol who loves to belittle the Welsh, directly to my face, in a snidey kind of way, picking away (not crowing about English superiority or anything). I think her and her husband just like to make me feel small, they wouldn’t do it to any of my other friends, who have more direct Welsh heritage than me. 

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I know it's off topic but genuine question, why a UK team and not a GB team like the Olympics? I believe NI athletes can choose between GB or Eire (dont know the history behind that allowance though)

Because we live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, abbreviated to "UK". I just used that rather than GB. The Irish question would be tricky, but ultimately as you say probably solved by allowing NI footballers to choose between representing the UK/GB team or the RoI.

@W-S-M Seagull likewise I love Wales, and share none of this animosity towards it as a place or its people for celebrating their language or culture. It is a stunning part of Britain and I've had many a wonderful holiday there.

I do think though that insisting on each nation having it's own FA, its own leagues, its own national sides, is regressive and archaic. I'd rather Wales, England, Scotland, and NI (although appreciate the history there) could coalesce under one national banner so that we could be stronger together.

Edited by ExiledAjax

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But on the same premise, anyone who watched Wales v USA second half, might think that they’re capable of soaking up a bit of pressure and scoring from a set piece or a bit of magic from Bale.  How many of us were sat there last night at 45 mins, going into first half injury time with Conor Roberts, ball in hand level with our penalty area, about to take a long throw, thinking Wales might create something here, and for all our control, we could go in at h-t 0-1?  I did.  Although he didn’t hurl it into the area, they did create from it.

I agree that class tends to win out overall, but you are talking bigger sample sizes than one game!

FWIW I wasn’t nervous, never been so relaxed, because the objective was to get out of the group…and we weren’t gonna lose by 4 goals, so we’d achieved goal no1.  But would I have been surprised by a 0-0?  Nope.  Or even Wales getting dominated but scoring some show?  Nope.  

A good 25 minutes out of 180 minutes, with 135 of those being awful wasn’t enough to worry me one bit. Class nearly always shows and so it proved again.  Even as we approached half time. If anything I was even more confident at that point as Wales had not threatened at all. It was only a matter of time. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes my dad was a city fan but born in Mountain Ash, grew up in WSM. 
I have a friend from Bristol who loves to belittle the Welsh, directly to my face, in a snidey kind of way, picking away (not crowing about English superiority or anything). I think her and her husband just like to make me feel small, they wouldn’t do it to any of my other friends, who have more direct Welsh heritage than me. 

I guess there's banter and banter. I have a short friend of Welsh heritage who I occasionally remark was bred that way so he never hit his head on the roof of the mine. In fact, he's as posh as you like and it's my ancestors who worked in coal mines (in Bristol) - not his.

He lent his support to us on Friday night, but like many from the Principality, rugby's his main thing. 

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

A good 25 minutes out of 180 minutes, with 135 of those being awful wasn’t enough to worry me one bit. Class nearly always shows and so it proved again.  Even as we approached half time. If anything I was even more confident at that point as Wales had not threatened at all. It was only a matter of time. 

I thought it was a really complete and controlled game from England last night. The first half was slow, but it was England dictating the pace. Maybe it's frustrating that we took 40 minutes to test and probe and feel the game out, but that's what it took.

Then the shackles were let off in the second half and we went up a gear or two, at will and of our own volition. It was good.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I thought it was a really complete and controlled game from England last night. The first half was slow, but it was England dictating the pace. Maybe it's frustrating that we took 40 minutes to test and probe and feel the game out, but that's what it took.

Then the shackles were let off in the second half and we went up a gear or two, at will and of our own volition. It was good.

The second half was far better after Southgate had swapped the two wingers in Rashford and Foden to opposite sides and they both scored. SG deserves credit for that. It was a clever move.

35 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I missed a few games over the weekend, but was that the first goal from a direct free kick this tournament?

Lineker said in the post match that it is the first direct free kick goal this WC, with the last one being Trippiers against Croatia in the semi final in 2018

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought he was shocking all tournament, one penalty does not make a great player. I thought Ramsey was poor too, and spent the game going around kicking people, in an attempt to show "passion".

Kieffer Moore was shown to be nowhere near international quality along with many of their squad. 

There was a telling moment in the first half where they hit a long ball to Moore.  Maguire and Stones just stood off him, allowed him to flick it on and one of them just controlled the flick on in acres of space.  League 1 football at the world cup basically.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Me too. I have Welsh relatives who have wished England well for the rest of the campaign. Most are switched on enough to realise that merely making the finals was their team's achievement. 

Maybe it's because I grew up well to the south of Bristol, but I don't share this loathing of all things Welsh that some Bristolians seem to have. There's a hell of a lot of Bristolians with Welsh surnames, suggesting quite a lot of south Walesians came over and were Anglicised in the past. 

Maybe you've not been subjected to the consistent hatred of Bristol and England from a number of Welsh people I've had the misfortune to work with over the years.  Perhaps it's because I also like Rugby that I find them particularly irksome as they are vile around the England / Wales games.   The amount of funding going into Cardiff from Bristol.  Test matches etc.

Then there is the treatment we've received from Heddlu over the years.  

In contrast, Scottish people I've known in Bristol have been ace, whether they support Rangers, Celtic or another side.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

He’s barely played football for months and it showed so I would say he wasn’t match fit. Obviously was going to play in this World Cup but from here he needs to be dropped. 

One of the stranger things about Wales' fanbase has been to take the whole "Wales, Golf, Madrid" jokes a bit too literally. I laughed at that flag at the time tbf, but it went a bit far.

Some Wales fans don't  seem to think that their players never getting a game at club level and only turning up for international duty is a bad thing. In fact, some of them actively celebrate it.
Bale, Ramsey, Allen and Hennessey (to name a few) have hardly featured for their clubs at all in 2022. In cases like Bale and Hennessey they've hardly featured since about 2019. Bizarre that anyone can think this is good for their international careers.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Bard said:

There was a telling moment in the first half where they hit a long ball to Moore.  Maguire and Stones just stood off him, allowed him to flick it on and one of them just controlled the flick on in acres of space.  League 1 football at the world cup basically.

Yes, I noted that. Woeful defending, one can only hope we sort ourselves out very soon to avoid such naive stuff as, surely, we’ll get punished against top rank strikers. 

For me, despite having some decent players, we still look very ‘clunky’ with little fluency rhythm to our play. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Another strange thing has been the constant sharing of Michael Sheen's speech or talking about their national anthem.

I think the Welsh national anthem is a cracker. One of the best in the world. But that isn't as relevant to sporting competitions as people think it is. 'Passion' will only get you so far.

5 minutes ago, The Bard said:

the consistent hatred of Bristol and England from a number of Welsh people I've had the misfortune to work with

I'm sure you refer here in the main to "Valley Commandos"....indeed an irksome bunch.

Not to be confused with the vast majority of welcoming/friendly Welsh.

I spend a fair bit of time in Pembrokeshire & the natives are lovely.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The second half was far better after Southgate had swapped the two wingers in Rashford and Foden to opposite sides and they both scored. SG deserves credit for that. It was a clever move.

Getting Chesney Hawkes to perform was the clever move. Hopefully we can persuade him to do all our halftime shows.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Not sure if this has been covered in the previous 120 pages, but…

…how many players who’ve played for City have played in a World Cup at some point:

• Hunter (70)
  • Cooper (70)
  • Jordan (74, 78, 82)
  • Semenyo (22)
  • Diedhiou (22)
  • Morrell (22)
  • Odemwingie (10, 14)

any others?

David James

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure if this has been covered in the previous 120 pages, but…

…how many players who’ve played for City have played in a World Cup at some point:

• Hunter (70)
  • Cooper (70)
  • Jordan (74, 78, 82)
  • Semenyo (22)
  • Diedhiou (22)
  • Morrell (22)
  • Odemwingie (10, 14)

any others?

Luke Wilkshire.

• Like 2