IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

1 minute ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

There are more of them in the cricket team than just Warner. They can't help rubbing it in when they have superiority and cheating when they don't have it.

Back to the football, last night when England won there was no gloating, just handshakes and pats on the back.

Helped by the fact that they all know each other from league football. Bit like France and Tunisia too. 

1 minute ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

There are more of them in the cricket team than just Warner. They can't help rubbing it in when they have superiority and cheating when they don't have it.

Back to the football, last night when England won there was no gloating, just handshakes and pats on the back.

Do you think we might gloat a bit if we win anything?

I would!

2 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Fair point if we were talking about England, in this case (Wales) their manager is less experienced and he doesn't have the relative luxury of the great depth of England U21 players that Southgate had already worked with previously.

I am not a Bale fan at all but I could see the point Rush was making. They could ditch the over 30s and still have a half decent go at qualifications but it might take a long time by which time Page would have left and they could be in a bit of turmoil.

I agree there are pros and cons but my concern, apart from the fact that Bale can't put in anything like a 90 minute shift, is that younger players might feel they have to defer to him. Their natural game might be inhibited if they are thinking they have to give the ball to Bale all the time in the hope he might do something special.

By way of comparison, Marcus Smith at no.10 for the England Rugby Union team is inhibited by having Owen Farrell next to him dictating what he does. The only time he expressed himself was against New Zealand when Farrell was playing with an injury and Smith took control.

Bale may be able to make a difference in qualifying games if he is still capable of moments but I'd grasp the nettle asap. Looks like he will dictate when he retires rather than the manager though so it's a bit academic.