IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

I'm glad the penalty was saved as it was a poor decision to award it, and even for the ref to be asked to review. I do hope however that Argentina can score first as it would hopefully  change Poland's outlook to this game. 

For all his absolute brilliance, which is undeniable, penalties are Messi's weakness. He has missed a lot during his career and has openly admitted that he gets very nervous when taking them. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Was it because it was on Messi? 

Yes. See also the one Ronaldo was given in Portugal's first game and the identical, though much clearer, one not given to Qatar in their second game.

Note also that a member of FIFA's technical committee praised Ronaldo for being so clever in winning his penalty.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I agree there are pros and cons but my concern, apart from the fact that Bale can't put in anything like a 90 minute shift, is that younger players might feel they have to defer to him. Their natural game might be inhibited if they are thinking they have to give the ball to Bale all the time in the hope he might do something special.

By way of comparison, Marcus Smith at no.10 for the England Rugby Union team is inhibited by having Owen Farrell next to him dictating what he does. The only time he expressed himself was against New Zealand when Farrell was playing with an injury and Smith took control.

Bale may be able to make a difference in qualifying games if he is still capable of moments but I'd grasp the nettle asap. Looks like he will dictate when he retires rather than the manager though so it's a bit academic.

I agree with a lot of that, my thoughts that I didn't explain but should have, was they might have Bale as a squad member, mostly on the bench maybe. I really don't like him and his hair cut but has huge experience that would be useful to them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Note also that a member of FIFA's technical committee praised Ronaldo for being so clever in winning his penalty.

yes, this grinds my gears so much. it's just wrong. the wrong way to think about the game. you shouldn't praise somebody being deceitful and cheating. it should be called out for what it is. cheating.

• Like 3

Just now, Open End Numb Legs said:

I agree with a lot of that, my thoughts that I didn't explain but should have, was they might have Bale as a squad member, mostly on the bench maybe. I really don't like him and his hair cut but has huge experience that would be useful to them.

Exactly my thoughts but would his ego accept that I wonder?

And he should get rid of the ridiculous hair and embrace his encroaching baldness!