IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

7 minutes ago, DolmanGaz said:

clearly southgate knows a damn sight more than me, but i'll be really upset if we go back to that 343  /  523 set up again. I think playing 3 in MF with somebody like Bellingham in a more advanced role was a nice balance between overly defensive and gung ho. But GS does love Mount, so imagine it'll be 343 with Mount taking one of the winger places when / if we face France, haha

I kind of get safety first in the groups, specially when you start with a good win. But his over cautious approach cost us in the final against Italy. I hope he's least his lesson. Our best players are forwards, we should try and make the most of them. 
Obviously not gung ho, but a bit more front foot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Think I can tell when a player is , or is likely to be , injured

And ......Thanks for your sarcasm re Gosling , and no , I wasn’t 

FWIW Henderson got fully studded in the side of the ankle , I thought he did really well , firstly not to make a meal of it and to get up - you can dismiss me but did you hear the pros comments on how those challenges hurt ?

Messi - I enjoy his ability , and as I stated I wouldn’t class him as a serial / recognised cheat , but your defence of him is through Messi clouded goggles

I don’t think I’m the one with Messi clouded goggles at all.

There was a comment earlier about the pen only being considered because it was Messi. Because things are looked at exceptionally when it’s Messi involved.

And I think that the reaction to Messi going to ground the way he did has had the same sort of ‘exceptionalist’ response.

He got hit in the face. He went down clutching his face. I didn’t see any Ronaldinho style triple rolls, I didn’t see him looking like he’d been shot, I didn’t see any over the top histrionics. If it had been anyone else no-one would have said anything. 

As has been said, it wasn’t him who decided to check VAR or who made the penalty decision. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I agreed with the thrust of your original post but I think the point applies more to the likes of Denmark, Netherlands, Poland and Germany, even Portugal. Even Deschamps is regarded in France as too pragmatic.

It's worth noting also that Tite spent time in Germany and, I think, Spain studying European tactics because he wanted Brazil to play in a more European way. For all their galaxy of talent who did he replace the injured Neymar with? Fred!

So the implication that Southgate is somehow particularly negative doesn't stand up for me, especially as his team has 9 goals, more then any previous England side in the group stage.

I'd add that against Wales 2 goals came from Foden and Rashford running at defenders and the other from Rashford pressing Davies and nicking the ball off him to set up Kane for the cross. Indeed the high press was excellent all round, especially in the second half. Not particularly shackled perhaps?

I agree with your views...however I feel we will come up against much stronger opposition now, and that playing cautiously will be the wrong tactic. To only release the reigns when we go behind or later in the game will give us less opportunity against better sides.

We have the players to really make a go of it from the off. I can't judge us against Iran and Wales who were both poor imo. 

Any team like the USA who play with freedom, aggression and press will give us problems if we sit back.

We have to give the opposition problems and play on the front foot from the off imo. 

13 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

So there was contact to his head.

Why does that make him go down and then roll over several times?

I don't think you would genuinely roll over and over if you had a head injury.

Because he wanted it known that there’d been contact. 

If that makes him a cheat then it makes 90% of players here a cheat. And I don’t believe they are. 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I kind of get safety first in the groups, specially when you start with a good win. But his over cautious approach cost us in the final against Italy. I hope he's least his lesson. Our best players are forwards, we should try and make the most of them. 
Obviously not gung ho, but a bit more front foot.

It's arguable. Italy steadily took control of CM, that was a tactical thing to some extent but they had 3 in there...Verratti, Jorginho, Barella. We were being pushed back somewhat- had we matched up with 4-3-3 might it have been different? Otoh do we have those who control a central midfield battle in the same way as that trio.

Who were the controllers in summer 2021?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous