IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

8 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

No can't say I have. But I do know the Anglo-Welsh rugby rivalry is consistently more bitter than football.  I think the only place you'll get potentially anti-English remarks in Anglophonic Wales is Cardiff. Been met with friendliness elsewhere. 

Try walking in Glasgow with an England shirt on to see just how "ace" your reception is.  Numerous folk will testify to how it isn't a good idea.

As for the Heddlu, they're a problem force, like West Midlands, the Met and other English cops I could mention. 

my friend took me for around the valley towns north of Port Talbot, she advised me not to get out of the car as I wouldn't be welcome because of my accent

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree with your views...however I feel we will come up against much stronger opposition now, and that playing cautiously will be the wrong tactic. To only release the reigns when we go behind or later in the game will give us less opportunity against better sides.

We have the players to really make a go of it from the off. I can't judge us against Iran and Wales who were both poor imo. 

Any team like the USA who play with freedom, aggression and press will give us problems if we sit back.

We have to give the opposition problems and play on the front foot from the off imo. 

Judging from what Rashford said Southgate told them at half time that they weren't moving the ball fast enough so it seems unlikely he sent them out at the start to do otherwise.

We'll see how he sets up from now on but Germany eventually showed against Spain for instance that it's best to press the good teams high rather than sit back. I hope we continue that but time will tell.

I loved the media narrative about Iran btw which went:

•Good side, England will struggle to beat them.

•England only beat Iran because they're crap.

•Wales couldn't be expected to beat a side as good as Iran.

Agenda or what??

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's arguable. Italy steadily took control of CM, that was a tactical thing to some extent but they had 3 in there...Verratti, Jorginho, Barella. We were being pushed back somewhat- had we matched up with 4-3-3 might it have been different? Otoh do we have those who control a central midfield battle in the same way as that trio.

I just felt Italy weren't trying to get forward in the later stages. The Subs for Penalties that Southgate made could have been given 15/20 minutes to have a go, instead he settled for the lottery of Pens.
Just my opinion , but at that time I did not think playing it safe was right . I'd rather lose trying to win, than lose on Pens playing for Pens. 

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Judging from what Rashford said Southgate told them at half time that they weren't moving the ball fast enough so it seems unlikely he sent them out at the start to do otherwise.

We'll see how he sets up from now on but Germany eventually showed against Spain for instance that it's best to press the good teams high rather than sit back. I hope we continue that but time will tell.

I loved the media narrative about Iran btw which went:

•Good side, England will struggle to beat them.

•England only beat Iran because they're crap.

•Wales couldn't be expected to beat a side as good as Iran.

Agenda or what??

Fingers crossed  we don't sit back, and we play free flowing, fearless football. I think we have the ability to take advantage.

Just now, 1960maaan said:

I just felt Italy weren't trying to get forward in the later stages. The Subs for Penalties that Southgate made could have been given 15/20 minutes to have a go, instead he settled for the lottery of Pens.
Just my opinion , but at that time I did not think playing it safe was right . I'd rather lose trying to win, than lose on Pens playing for Pens. 

Perhaps later on yeah, but playing without the ball as we did for good chunks can be draining.

Agree on your last bit, think both side were playing for pens a bit.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Because he wanted it known that there’d been contact. 

If that makes him a cheat then it makes 90% of players here a cheat. And I don’t believe they are. 

How does rolling over and over make it known that there had been contact to his head???

5 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

how does the draw look like now?

i know it's France in the quarters should we get there, and Brazil and Argentina are in the other half, but where do Spain and Portugal sit in the draw?

I can see some sizeable upsets in this competition so wouldn't assume anything at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

how does the draw look like now?

i know it's France in the quarters should we get there, and Brazil and Argentina are in the other half, but where do Spain and Portugal sit in the draw?

We can't play Spain, Brazil, Netherlands til the final. Assuming the first two win their group

Semi final opponents likely to Germany Croatia or Portugal

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Super said:

Joke of a team pathetic.

Thought they played alright or at least cohesively us in qualifying. Had a different coach then of course.

Looked very poor tonight though. Zielinski, Lewandowski to name 2, a side who probably should be better than they've shown.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

If that was a penalty for the keepers late contact on Messi, then surely the same rule applies at the very end of the match, when the keeper slid in and took the Argentine player out after he’d shot. 
Was it purely the fact that the shot was on target that it’s not deemed a penalty (ie, the chance was given and not taken?) 

• Like 1

And how come the deciding factor was going to come down to yellow cards! 
Why not make it something more positive, like shots on target? Surely that’s a better way of deciding which team was the better and more positive one, rather than something that could have been down to a refs interpretation.
Mexico had 16 shots on target vs Poland’s 5. 
5 on target in 3 games! Who do they think they are - the 2020 version of Bristol City??!! 

• Like 4