IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Seriously. I really don’t get the love in with him. This is the same player who downed tools last 6 months of his contract . Bollocks to him , hope he gets sent off 

He's also scored 51 goals for our club over the prior 3.5 seasons. For me that's more important than 6 months at the end of his contract.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

6 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think Fam does a lot to help poor folks in his home country (as do a lot of African players who have made it) so it wouldn`t surprise me if he sent a load of end-of-season unsold stock out there.

You could be right. City fans in the crowd on the BBC this morning , who'd of thought it, must have mixed emotions about tonight. ? COYR, COE

Screenshot_20221204-140758.png

Edited by jaydee=inspiration
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, redkev said:

Watching the England games on tv & interviewing the fans , a very different brand of England fans than usual , 

a lot of prawn sandwich brigade type fans . I wonder how many of these go to the likes of Lithuania / Poland / Andorra away etc 

Absolutely none …

one England fan I term the word loosely who was interviewed this morning was a yank 

a lot of ex pats living over there are doing the games which makes sense if it so close to where you live 

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Seriously. I really don’t get the love in with him. This is the same player who downed tools last 6 months of his contract . Bollocks to him , hope he gets sent off 

It’s the player who played 169 games for the club, 51 goals (only 25 players have ever scored more for the club), who slogged his guts out for us for 3.5 years and often in a pretty thankless role up front, and whose mind (like many players or other employees in a similar, situation) was elsewhere when it became apparent he wasn’t wanted. 

I’ll always think of him fondly and hope he does well (not tonight obviously). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

It’s the player who played 169 games for the club, 51 goals (only 25 players have ever scored more for the club), who slogged his guts out for us for 3.5 years and often in a pretty thankless role up front, and whose mind (like many players or other employees in a similar, situation) was elsewhere when it became apparent he wasn’t wanted. 

I’ll always think of him fondly and hope he does well (not tonight obviously). 

‘Slogged his guts out’  Dave ?

.......Occasionally.....sometimes .....

Reason he was often so isolated was he appeared incapable of playing with or forming a partnership 

I thought we should have moved him on 12-18 months in 

His goals cost us around £200k each

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

and whose mind (like many players or other employees in a similar, situation) was elsewhere when it became apparent he wasn’t wanted. 

He was the only player offered a contract…not sure he wasn’t wanted!

FWIW I totally get the bit about how hard it can be to play up top, but there were many games before those last 6 months where I thought Fam went through the motions.  For me he was a player who played differently when his place was under threat.

• Like 2

Poland have played wirh more positivity today than the last couple of games IMO. Little flurry there.

Decent supporting cast to Lewandowski and Zielinski on paper. They'll lose of course but I wondered if they needed to be quite so negative in the Group Stage. I guess that getting through the Group at a WC for the first time since 1986 can help- hoodoo resolved, pressure off a bit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

‘Slogged his guts out’  Dave ?

.......Occasionally.....sometimes .....

Reason he was often so isolated was he appeared incapable of playing with or forming a partnership 

I thought we should have moved him on 12-18 months in 

His goals cost us around £200k each

For me, yes. 

I know we had these debates at the time, but it was often away from home that he was playing the most thankless role, put in a real shift, got battered, and grabbed some vital goals for us.

I agree that he never played as part of a decent partnership or an effective formation. How much if that was down to him, and how much down to the club/coach/manager of the time is probably debateable. And a bit chicken and egg. Much of his time with us was a very unsettled time for the club generally. 

You may be right about moving him on: that would have been the Mark Ashton objective I’ve no doubt. Although we didn’t really have a plan B at the time.

Serious question: is £200k a goal exceptionally expensive for the Championship pre covid?

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He was the only player offered a contract…not sure he wasn’t wanted!

FWIW I totally get the bit about how hard it can be to play up top, but there were many games before those last 6 months where I thought Fam went through the motions.  For me he was a player who played differently when his place was under threat.

Should probably have phrased that differently Dave….felt he wasn’t wanted. 

We none of us really know what goes on behind the scenes in these situations, and what the truth behind the various versions is. But it was pretty clear (I felt) that he knew he was on his way and the club wasn’t bending over backwards to try to keep him, rightly or wrongly. 

For the rest, as above post! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DolmanGaz said:

France Poland... can't see beyond a France win here but fingers crossed.

Robyn Cowen commentating, so 5live it is. Here voice when anything exciting happens is like claws on a chalk board for me!!

Wow, I'm not on my own then! I also turned off the commentary!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Serious question: is £200k a goal exceptionally expensive for the Championship pre covid?

No, I just think there was more in him.

(for info, I watched him a fair bit for Angers in the season he replaced Kodjia and I thought he was someone we should be interested in, so I though he had different parts to his game that we didn’t see)

His goals record (individually) was decent enough, but I also thought the lack of partnership meant his goals were a bit solitary, unlike say last season where WSM all contributed.

I also think that with a crosser like Eliasson, he really should have benefitted more.  That reluctance to get across his man was frustrating…especially when you see the quality of his header in the World Cup.

My no means do I think he was crap, but I thought we could’ve got more out of him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Should probably have phrased that differently Dave….felt he wasn’t wanted. 

We none of us really know what goes on behind the scenes in these situations, and what the truth behind the various versions is. But it was pretty clear (I felt) that he knew he was on his way and the club wasn’t bending over backwards to try to keep him, rightly or wrongly. 

For the rest, as above post! 

I certainly don’t believe we offered him £30k p.w.

According to someone I know the club knew in summer of 2019 that he wouldn’t extend his 4 year deal (he was halfway through at that point).  Combo of us wanted too much to get other clubs to nibble.  We ended up getting bugger all.  That part is a fault of the club not the player

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1