IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

16 minutes ago, Super said:

We look a shambles.

Not sure we look a shambles!  We were sloppy though

We just tried to keep forcing it through the eye of a needle.  Patience, or a bit of something different.  As a CB or DM, if you know they are gonna play along the deck into feet…then you can go tight.  What you need occasionally is to mix it, turn one around the corner.

Got to realise teams aren’t mugs at this level, so it sometimes takes a bit of skill.

And that’s what happened, Foden flick…was all it took.  Bellingham-Gerrard bursting through and a good finish with his wrong foot from Henderson.  Then it’s all us, and Bellingham again…what a boy…and it’s 2-0.

At this level we need to care for the ball, not worry about trying to force it.  Even if it’s not pretty.  It’s about winning.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Can’t believe the moans 20 mins in

at this level in WC you have to earn your right to play , to work out how to overcome any problems

I thought except for odd moment we were controlled and found some unreal quality / goals to top it off

We could have been 2-0 down tbf and weren’t in control. The two centre halves were raging. Now we’ve woken up it’s chalk and cheese. It’s like the goal reminded the players we have a game to win.

• Like 1

Just now, Numero Uno said:

WHEN we play at pace we are too good for these. Nobody can justify that first 35 minutes. Since then we’ve shown what we are about.

You have to find your feet though , to find some rhythm , for players to fight and work out their individual duels 

When we reached the semis in 90 we were Poor in the group , outplayed by Belgium , somewhat fortunate against  Cameroon and ironically played our best in the semi but went out

Neutrals watching us would be impressed overall

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Two of the matches so far have had late goals back and it’s got a bit tense, but since the goal we have carved them open three or four times. As long as we just do not sit back stupidly deep we should now have this..but you do never know.

Exactly.

Remember they have nothing to lose but go for it and as we've seen they can be dangerous.

Edited by BigTone

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Can’t believe the moans 20 mins in

at this level in WC you have to earn your right to play , to work out how to overcome any problems

I thought except for odd moment we were controlled and found some unreal quality / goals to top it off

We were poor up until the goal sure even Southgate will agree.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Agree with @Sheltons Army, we were in control opening 20, flashed a couple of balls across the 6 yards box.  Got into good situations.  Before the Senegal spell, it was them going long from deep, because they couldn’t get out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

You have to find your feet though , to find some rhythm , for players to fight and work out their individual duels 

When we reached the semis in 90 we were Poor in the group , outplayed by Belgium , somewhat fortunate against  Cameroon and ironically played our best in the semi but went out

We will need to be on it from the start against France assuming we don’t lose the plot second half. Tbf in this game I can see more chances for us as Senegal get more desperate.

1 minute ago, Super said:

That are a decent side , and very athletic , pressing extremely hard man for man

Not easy to click straight into a touch and rhythm under that pressure and was always going to be that sort of opening 

Was important we didn’t concede , found some touch and rhythm , and exploited any holes in their press when they did come , which we did ....brilliantly

Im not sure what some expected tbh 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

Wow.....one shot one goal....

Completely against the run of play.

Great awareness from Bellingham

What? It’s been quite an even game. The other team are the African champs you know, they are allowed to compete in the game.

They’ve made it very difficult for us, but hey we’ve scored 2 clinical goals. If we don’t score 8 more second half then new manager for the quarters I’d say

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A month older than Alex Scott.  He’s “proper” this boy…different level.  He won’t be brilliant every game (e.g. USA), but for a 19 year old to be influencing WC games is something else.

Euro 2028, in England (hopefully). A 25 year old Bellingham lifts the trophy as England beat Haaland's Norway in the final.

Edited by ExiledAjax

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with @Sheltons Army, we were in control opening 20, flashed a couple of balls across the 6 yards box.  Got into good situations.  Before the Senegal spell, it was them going long from deep, because they couldn’t get out.

We never had a shot until we scored. Since then it’s been men against boys.

7 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I don't disagree about 1990 Shelts but this is so obvious. Slow England are quite poor while a quick England could win the whole bloody thing! I dread to think what France will do to slow England.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

I don't disagree about 1990 Shelts but this is so obvious. Slow England are quite poor while a speedy England could win the whole bloody thing! I dread to think what France will do to slow England.

See my comments about finding touch and rhythm Ska , though the quicker we find it the better

The concerns v France (Assuming we don’t blow this !) are fair , but they won’t press like Senegal  

• Like 1

I thought that was a decent half from England. Patient, managed the game reasonably well - and where we didn’t it was more down to silly mistakes than anything else. Senegal are a good side and we were under more sustained and demanding pressure than in other games. 

The last 10 we really showed how to take chances. 

And Bellingham……..something else. He’s starting to look like the outstanding player that every team needs and at only 19 that’s astonishing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

I thought that was a decent half from England. Patient, managed the game reasonably well - and where we didn’t it was more down to silly mistakes than anything else. Senegal are a good side and we were under more sustained and demanding pressure than in other games. 

The last 10 we really showed how to take chances. 

And Bellingham……..something else. He’s starting to look like the outstanding player that every team needs and at only 19 that’s astonishing. 

He’s got the attributes of a Gerrard , the frame of Emile Heskey , the bursts of skill to challenge Gascogne , all with a silky smooth elegance , and a bit of attitude ...astonishing , as you say

Always said Gascogne by far the best and unique English player I’ve seen ,but Bellingham is already threatening that 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Malago said:

Stating the bleedin obvious, but next goal huge.

3-0 walk in the park.

2-1 squeaky bum time 

It's squeeky bum time

Squeeky bum time

We're Bristol City

We do squeeky bum time