IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

I think we too easily expect players to have the same devotion to their clubs that we do, and we expect a commitment to their employer way beyond what the vast majority of us would even expect of ourselves.

Yes, he could have signed a deal: he could have agreed to play for nothing if he'd wanted to. But why would he, or why should he do something that he doesn't think is going to be in his best interests career wise and financially. 

It's not like clubs - generally - show any such loyalty to players. They are ruthlessly ditched at early stages of most careers, they are loaned out, traded around, and very much secondary to the interests of any individual club. Players are seen by most clubs as a commodity. So it's hardly surprising that players in return don't feel the sort of loyalty that you're suggesting - to give something back.

Not always the case, I'd accept. But if you go back to the time Fam was with us then, at Bristol City, that was very much the case. Our esteemed former chief exec, whose word you hold so much store by (unlike most on here!) absolutely personified that approach that saw players as commodities. Buy cheap, sell at top price, they were more about the bottom line of his spreadsheet and of his financial targets than they were footballers with a career. 

And blaming Fam for our financial plight is grossly unfair. If you're going to point fingers at players there were plenty whose cost benefit analysis would look far far worse - but the bigger picture is that its not the players who run the clubs finances. He signed a contract with us and he honoured it. There will be different views about his performances (clearly, from the above) but that's the case with any player, and with 51 goals you'd be hard pushed to argue that his contribution overall was anywhere near poor. 

Glad he didn't score last night though!!

I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying. I don't blame the player for our financial plight, more so he typifies our current situation. We signed a player for £5M plus lucrative contract and offered him an even bigger contract to stay but that same player left for nothing. As far as that ex chief exec is concerned I think you'd be hard pressed to find an agreeable word for him by anyone on here. 

Right lads, it's war this Saturday. 

No baguettes from now on

No croissants

Don't even ****** dare look at macarons

Play waterloo full blast before the game

Hopefully we'll go quickly 3-0 up and they'll surrender at half time. If we're 1-0 down the Prussians will rock up. 

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Right lads, it's war this Saturday. 

No baguettes from now on

No croissants

Don't even ****** dare look at macarons

Play waterloo full blast before the game

Hopefully we'll go quickly 3-0 up and they'll surrender at half time. If we're 1-0 down the Prussians will rock up. 

@PHILINFRANCEwhich side are you on…need to prep myself!!!

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@PHILINFRANCEwhich side are you on…need to prep myself!!!

Most firmly for England.

I have sent messages to many French friends and business acquaintances bigging up next Saturday’s match, and received the expected responses.

I am currently over here in England, not returning to France until Monday, and am not sure whether I should return home singing loudly or sneaking in via the back door.

Fingers Crossed.

Où est le papier?

• Like 1

Continuing to enjoy this tournament, particularly its timing.

Shout out to the officials, think most have been excellent and a special mention for the women, with the extra pressure on them, performed exceptionally imo.

The players have helped as I’m sure there has there been less play-acting and professional fouling this time thankfully.

Come on Japan!

7 minutes ago, Malago said:

Don’t know what it is, but I love watching Japan play.

Whenever they get the ball, their first thought is to go forward. The play at pace and press and harry the opposition all over the pitch.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Whenever they get the ball, their first thought is to go forward. The play at pace and press and harry the opposition all over the pitch.

I think it’s also the lack of cynicism.  No pulling back, no throwing yourself to the floor, no holding of the face etc

• Like 2