IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

How were Croatia ‘Lucky’

Good game plan , great application and bravery on the ball 

Defended really well and won , fairly and squarely...many ways to prevail

Lucky...... ?

One shot on goal. Never tried to win the game.

Just now, Maltshoveller said:

BBC saying this is a huge shock!!!

A team who has now reached the last 3 semi finals beat a team who has reached one semi in 20 years (how did that go for them)

So how is that a real shock

you're expecting honest, reasoned commentary from BBC pundits???

why don't they call out Brazil for their diving and play acting

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maltshoveller said:

BBC saying this is a huge shock!!!

A team who has now reached the last 3 semi finals beat a team who has reached one semi in 20 years (how did that go for them)

So how is that a real shock

That doesnt sound bitter

I'm only interested in tomorrow. If England play like that and win I couldn't care less.

• Like 1

The thing that irritates me about Brazil I reckon, some of it isn't even their fault.

Not so much Brazil themselves as their lackey pundits, media types- casual fans who like a reflex reaction swoon over them.

Yeah they can play beautiful football but can mix it too. 20 fouls today! Their style has become a bit more pragmatic this century, bit more European perhaps.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, DolmanGaz said:

you're expecting honest, reasoned commentary from BBC pundits???

why don't they call out Brazil for their diving and play acting

The superlatives they used for Brazil throughout the tournament was embarrassing. 

I often wondered if they were watching the same Brazil as me. Brazil were bang average this tournament. I think people give them praise based on what they used to be, and not what they are now. 

They described Neymars goal as a special goal, it really wasn't. He just rounded the keeper. Prior to that he did the square root of f all for the entire game. Not saying he's overhyped but he just doesn't deliver in the big games. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Be fair, Croatia's football was not good to watch. I guess we are back to whether football is supposed to be entertainment or just about the result. Watching a side stop the opposition by playing keep ball and having no shots on target doesn't exactly sell the game.

In normal circumstances I might agree but given the team on the receiving end are massively overrated and fawned over by pundits because they are called Brazil and given some of their antics at this tournament I think I might just let it slide on this occasion………

Croatia are serial achievers in tournaments whereas Brazil are cultivating a reputation of being serial bottlers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The superlatives they used for Brazil throughout the tournament was embarrassing. 

I often wondered if they were watching the same Brazil as me. Brazil were bang average this tournament. I think people give them praise based on what they used to be, and not what they are now. 

They described Neymars goal as a special goal, it really wasn't. He just rounded the keeper. Prior to that he did the square root of f all for the entire game. Not saying he's overhyped but he just doesn't deliver in the big games. 

It was , it really was

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

I was delighted to see Brazil lose. That one more big fish out of the WC and that has to be good for England. Next up Argentina and hopefully the Dutch can turn them over

One thing that surprised me tho was Brazil not getting Neymar to take a spot kick. Instead they used the two most inexperienced who both missed.

Oh well…………:rofl2br:

Edited by Robbored
  • Hmmm 1

14 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Not salty much 

Of course they tried to win , they went about it in the way that gave them their best chance  , and they were excellent

......   And they Won 

They only attacked when they needed a goal. Fair play then won all that matters.

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It was a well worked goal, and he showed great composure with rounding the keeper and finishing - Wouldnt necessarily  call it special either.  Problem is, he’s a global superstar so anything the guy does is hyped. 

8 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Be fair, Croatia's football was not good to watch. I guess we are back to whether football is supposed to be entertainment or just about the result. Watching a side stop the opposition by playing keep ball and having no shots on target doesn't exactly sell the game.

Agreed they are dire to watch.

25 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

You have to admire Croatia’s footballing pedigree, for a country of just under 4 million they punch above their weight time and time again at international level. Fair play to them , a beautiful country aswell ?

That can’t be right,knowing loads of Welsh mates they swear they can’t compete with a country of just under 4 million against the bigger nations 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was delighted to see Brazil lose. That one more big fish out of the WC and that has to be good for England. Next up Argentina and hopefully the Dutch can turn them over

One thing that surprised me tho was Brazil not getting Neymar to take a spot kick. Instead they used the two most inexperienced who both missed.

Oh well…………:rofl2br:

Bit like your ‘the pitch deteriorated’ ?

Yes that Marquinhos is inexperienced

Other than 300 career appearances at Club level including 250 at PSG

Ohhhh and the 75 International caps ....

Yep ......inexperienced .....????

13 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

But there’s no right or wrong way to play the game. South Korea tried going toe to toe with them & the game was over after half a hour. You have to play to your strengths . 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1