IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Where's all the Ronaldo fanboys at this evening then? 

Genuinely shocked by this result

I’m not - Morocco have already beaten Spain and are no mugs. The have a very simple way of playing - defend, defend and carry on defending and hit the opposition on the break.

As I posted just now - if Morocco had a decent striker they’d be even more difficult to beat.

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Whoever wins ronight is overwhelming favourite talking at least 40% chance

I think England will struggle against them if they play like that.

Would be much more comfortable game against Portugal.

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think England will struggle against them if they play like that.

Would be much more comfortable game against Portugal.

What you've got to try and do against that opposition is start quickly and get an early goal. Throws the game plan out of the window a bit and as they come out pick them off. Games against teams like that go one of two ways, incredibly difficult if their game plan holds or a lot easier than you thought it would be if it doesn't.

• Like 2

Clean sheets win tournaments. Morocco have 4 in their 5 games. Conceded just once - an own goal against Canada. 

They've shut out Croatia, Belgium, Spain and now Portugal.

So that's Perisic, de Bruyne, Lukaku, Gavi, Ronaldo, Felix, Ramos, and all the rest. Nothing.

They didn't even concede in the penalty shootout!

Edited by ExiledAjax

This is without any exception the worst the  poorest World cup in living memory the standard of football has been absolutely atrocious they're going to have a real challenge putting a montage of highlights of this rubbish  together, club football is so much better and more interesting than the dross served up at these International tournaments maybe make them every 10 years now.

• Like 1

Despite all the ITV hype............whoever gets through, hopefully England, but maybe France.....will defeat a very ordinary Morocco, who are are a boring Anti-Football side, who are good at defending, but have not much else going for them IMHO.   I would put my current bank balance (Ha!!) on Morocco not getting to the final!?

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Despite all the ITV hype............whoever gets through, hopefully England, but maybe France.....will defeat a very ordinary Morocco, who are are a boring Anti-Football side, who are good at defending, but have not much else going for them IMHO.   I would put my current bank balance (Ha!!) on Morocco not getting to the final!?

Uhmmmm..... breaking news ...defending is very much part of the game of football.....

Brilliantly organised, brilliant intensity in their defending and in the pace of their counter attacks

Something to recognise , and enjoy

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ORANGE500 said:

This is without any exception the worst the  poorest World cup in living memory the standard of football has been absolutely atrocious they're going to have a real challenge putting a montage of highlights of this rubbish  together, club football is so much better and more interesting than the dross served up at these International tournaments maybe make them every 10 years now.

There have been some dramatic and surprising games......but you are right, the level of football is generally  of a very poor standard.  Where are the  sides playing exciting absorbing football?................As far as I can see, they are Back in the Premiership?

5 minutes ago, maxjak said:

So your not a fan of so called Boring Anti Football

Sorry but cup football is ALL about results

If you dont believe me Ask any Brazil Spain Portugal fan

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Uhmmmm..... breaking news ...defending is very much part of the game of football.....

Brilliantly organised, brilliant intensity in their defending and in the pace of their counter attacks

Something to recognise , and enjoy

At least it makes a change from you bashing and decrying everything Argentinian?  Well Done ?

14 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

You must have a ridiculously short ‘living memory’. 
Nowhere near 

It’s been a ‘different’ tournament with the counter attacking , breathtaking at times , reflecting the trend in the modern game

England alone have already scored the best set of goals , in their execution , in any WC

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

At least it makes a change from you bashing and decrying everything Argentinian?  Well Done ?

Your view and understanding of football is very shallow isn’t it

Whoooooop whoooooooop

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

I think for the sake of Paris, FIFA should ensure we win against the French.

I have had my issues with Southgate being too negative at critical times, but difficult to argue against the teams that are over achieving this World Cup have been based on a red hot defence. Organisation is beating flair at the moment.

Edited by cityexile

I didn't see much "anti-football" (whatever that really is) from Morocco tonight. 9 shots, 3 on target, xG of more than 1.0. Not really grinding it out. They're tough, defensively savvy, but also have some talent on the counter attack, and I also was impressed with the variety with which they were able to attack.

I parroted a comparison to Greece in 2004, but having now watched them I think they're far more positive than that team was.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

You must have a ridiculously short ‘living memory’. 
Nowhere near 

It’s been a ‘different’ tournament with the counter attacking , breathtaking at times , reflecting the trend in the modern game

England alone have already scored the best set of goals , in their execution , in any WC

Your view of football is very shallow isn’t it

Glib is between.......Fatuous and Inconsequential, in a Dictionary.?.........That is spelt.......  D i c t i o n a r y

14 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Really?

God, I’ve seen tonnes of turgid group games in previous world cups, 0-0’s playing for pens in knock-out stages.  We’ve seen some classics this World Cup.  I’ve seen some of the best headed goals too.

We’ve seen that world football doesn’t have the gap it has in the past too.  Morocco might be defensively structured, but they attack with pace on the break.  More than one way to play football, more than one way to win.  Why set up to suit your opponent?

Been a very good World Cup for excitement imho.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I didn't see much "anti-football" (whatever that really is) from Morocco tonight. 9 shots, 3 on target, xG of more than 1.0. Not really grinding it out. They're tough, defensively savvy, but also have some talent on the counter attack, and I also was impressed with the variety with which they were able to attack.

I parroted a comparison to Greece in 2004, but having now watched them I think they're far more positive than that team was.

I also thought back to Greece earlier, but that is unfair on Morocco…more Atletico Madrid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Glib is between.......Fatuous and Inconsequential, in a Dictionary.?.........That is spelt.......  D i c t i o n a r y

With due respect , considering your babbling posts , and their assembly

You are absolutely the last person on here who should be making points about anything in English language , including a dictionary 

Lay off the meths eh 

• Haha 1