IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Clean sheets win tournaments. Morocco have 4 in their 5 games. Conceded just once - an own goal against Canada. 

They've shut out Croatia, Belgium, Spain and now Portugal.

So that's Perisic, de Bruyne, Lukaku, Gavi, Ronaldo, Felix, Ramos, and all the rest. Nothing.

They didn't even concede in the penalty shootout!

They are like Greece that won the Euros.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Really?

God, I’ve seen tonnes of turgid group games in previous world cups, 0-0’s playing for pens in knock-out stages.  We’ve seen some classics this World Cup.  I’ve seen some of the best headed goals too.

We’ve seen that world football doesn’t have the gap it has in the past too.  Morocco might be defensively structured, but they attack with pace on the break.  More than one way to play football, more than one way to win.  Why set up to suit your opponent?

Been a very good World Cup for excitement imho.

Ironic that those claiming ....? ....’Anti Football’ ....would have been knocking one out about our performance at Man City in th Semi Final 

Soaking up pressure , defending resolutely and as a team , ready to spring on the break.....

I don’t recall many claiming we were ‘anti football’

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Really?

God, I’ve seen tonnes of turgid group games in previous world cups, 0-0’s playing for pens in knock-out stages.  We’ve seen some classics this World Cup.  I’ve seen some of the best headed goals too.

We’ve seen that world football doesn’t have the gap it has in the past too.  Morocco might be defensively structured, but they attack with pace on the break.  More than one way to play football, more than one way to win.  Why set up to suit your opponent?

Is Rashford's free kick goal (direct) still the only one in the tournament so far if so that has to be some sort of record in itself.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Really?

It's just my opinion I've watched every World cup since 1978 attending some games in USA and France  and this for me is the poorest one I've seen but if you've enjoyed it fair enough. I guess when you've seen Brazil 82 and Maradona in 86 you can set the bar a little too high.

28 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

This is without any exception the worst the  poorest World cup in living memory the standard of football has been absolutely atrocious they're going to have a real challenge putting a montage of highlights of this rubbish  together, club football is so much better and more interesting than the dross served up at these International tournaments maybe make them every 10 years now.

However, and notwithstanding the morality of it being held in Qatar in the first place.

The last round of group stage matches and the last 16 and quarter finals have given us some of the most thrilling, nailbiting, edge of the seat entertainment I can remember for a long time at a world cup. Upsets left right and centre some new stars and a genuine feeling that lesser nations can nowproperly compete with the established big guns.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Nice of Ronaldo to stay on the pitch, congratulate the Moroccans, console the younger Portuguese players and to thanks the fans. Self centred *****. Now **** off to Saudi

With CR7 it's all me, me , me.

Just like those two entitled whingers on Netflix.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pillred said:

Is Rashford's free kick goal (direct) still the only one in the tournament so far if so that has to be some sort of record in itself.

I think I read there had been two, but can’t recall the first.

2 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

It's just my opinion I've watched every World cup since 1978 attending some games in USA and France  and this for me is the poorest one I've seen but if you've enjoyed it fair enough. I guess when you've seen Brazil 82 and Maradona in 86 you can set the bar a little too high.

Same here, 78 my first…although I was born during the Italy / Sweden game of Mexico 70 WC.

1982…Germany / Austria ??? the second group stage was flawed too, led to some really poor games, although Rossi v Brazil was great, as was the semi between Germany and France.

1986…was a good World Cup, granted.  Apart from those effin shadows on the pitch.

18 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Argentina has such a tangled history with Britain, a history that extends far beyond Falklands jingoism and the "Hand of God". The silver land is a grand country in which there remain native Welsh speakers and gentlemen's clubs reminiscent of the RAC. Polo, rugby, and yes their footballing tradition stem from our own. A fascinating history from a fine country.

England should never get to enter a team in the world cup, but as the closest approximation to a UK team I'd enjoy an England v Argentina final.

Interestingly our potential semi-final opponents Portugal are the other participants in the oldest continuous international alliance - Britain (or it's predecessor nations) and Portugal have been formally allied since the mid-1300's.

I think it is important to distinguish between Argentina, the country; magnificent, including Patagonia, to which you alluded in your post, the Argentinian people; the ones I have met have been extremely warm and friendly and Argentinian football.

Whilst Maradona was a fantastic footballer, and Messi still is, I watched the 1966 World Cup and well remember England’s match against Argentina.

I was only a young boy at the time, but I have never forgotten the disgusting behaviour and cheating antics of Antonio Rattin and his teammates.

It is perhaps unfortunate that, when I think of Argentinian football, it is the 1966 team that I remember most, rather than the numerous magnificent players they have produced since.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Super said:

They are like Greece that won the Euros.

I think they're similar, and there's definitely an echo of Greece in the results, but in performance and style it's more complex than just being a repeat.

I see it more as though they're a modern Greece '04. Prioritising the clean sheet is their game but they've got more counter-attacking flair. I recall Greece scoring from set pieces (I was 15 so apologies if that's wrong). Whereas this Morocco team are more of an open play outfit.

So yes they are similar teams, but Morocco have the modern play out from the back and counter attack aspect.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Despite all the ITV hype............whoever gets through, hopefully England, but maybe France.....will defeat a very ordinary Morocco, who are are a boring Anti-Football side, who are good at defending, but have not much else going for them IMHO.   I would put my current bank balance (Ha!!) on Morocco not getting to the final!?

Very harsh. You make them sound like Pulis’ Stoke. Morocco have some very skilful players and so quick on the break. 

• Like 2

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Can only assume that anyone who thinks this is the poorest World Cup is lucky enough to have not sat through South Africa 2010.

I'd say its the polar o, mediocre teams have closed the gap on the top sides 

With so many players playing worldwide, they are much cleverer footballers 

It's a shame such a great footballing tournament has sad a sour tasting undertone to it

• Like 3