IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

Random thoughts:

- I don’t know what game Lee Dixon is watching. Allegedly we’ve not “got at the French” despite two quality saves from Lloris, the corner scramble and the penalty shout

- It’s a pen. No doubt. But you have to wonder why it’s not given…

- Conversely, it’s not a free kick on Saka

- I wouldn’t take Saka off. He’s being kicked and can get behind them.

- We have been the better team overall IMO

- The refs a ***** 

• Like 1

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

Haven’t followed the thread. Can VAR give a free kick on Kane or only a pen? Because it’s absolutely nuts that it was neither. 

Can only give a pen. Only got limited reply here in US, but looked outside the box - so ref missed the foul, but VAR correctly implemented. Althjought there may be an angle I did't see. 

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Random thoughts:

- I don’t know what game Lee Dixon is watching. Allegedly we’ve not “got at the French” despite two quality saves from Lloris, the corner scramble and the penalty shout

- It’s a pen. No doubt. But you have to wonder why it’s not given…

- Conversely, it’s not a free kick on Saka

- I wouldn’t take Saka off. He’s being kicked and can get behind them.

- We have been the better team overall IMO

- The refs a ***** 

So, agree, text my dad the same.  His obsession with Griezmann is based on pre-game bias.  He hasn’t done anything tonight yet Dixon is tossing himself silly over him.

3 minutes ago, TomF said:

Saka is doing a decent job tracking back.   Not sure Marcus would. But we have to change something as we’re not really fluid at moment 

Got to get the ball to Kane in shooting positions rather than Kane being the playmaker. Plays far too deep and whilst it works with Spurs England are too passive in their play for it to work IMO

Just now, sh1t_ref_again said:

Said the ref is South American, Argentinan by any chance or some French speaking decendent

No Brazilian. Portuguese speaker. Decent tight game for me and I've no real complaints but it's being spoiled by the ITV coverage. What's his face really is the worst commentator in British football, and I use the term commentator with caution as really he witters and jabbers but rarely commentates. On top of that we've got the most miserable sod in Lee Dixon alongside him. 

We are still very much in the game though so let's hope we can turn it around second half. 

Just now, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Not in pressure games, and this is a real pressure game. Could Saka have scored the free kick like Rashford did?

Wouldn’t say Saka is a free kick taker. Marcus been a shadow of his former self for years. Saka been thriving. Wouldn’t swap them but that’s my opinion. 

ITV debating there was 25 seconds to deal with the attack is bollox

If they give the foul those 25 seconds are spent attacking.

ITV debating if the foul was on the line is bollox.

If it's on the line it's still a foul and a free kick.

I don't blame the Ref for the Pen, they know they have cover with VAR if they make a mistake. Sadly VAR is ******* shit

• Like 1

French are fluid with the ball and play forward at pace. We’re the opposite.

I still struggle with the concept of two centre-backs as our play makers. Two players of limited ability passing square and pointing at each other while all our players in front of them are marked and all the spaces closed down by the opposition, ain’t going to win us this game. 

Southgate has to sort that conundrum out at h/t … we’ve no alternative centre backs, so it has to be tactical.