IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We seem to be in the same sort of situation as Man City are with the Champions league. 

France are like Real Madrid. They just somehow find a way to win. 

England are like City in the Champions league, always just falling short. 

I'm not sure you can really compare France to Real Madrid

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

That's a fair reading of it. I still find it odd the way he's painted France and some kind of footballing superpower, when they achieved very little at the Euros last year

But even ‘superpowers’ don’t win everything! You’ll always be able to point to a match or a competition where things didn’t go to plan. That’s football, and it’s surprises.

But over the course of the past 25 years they’ve won the WC twice and been losing finalists once. They’ve won the Euros, and been losing finalists once. They’ve won the Confederations Cup twice and the UEFA nations league. They are the only European team to have won every possible FIFA competition.

I’d say they are up there with the best. 

• Like 4

That's a fair reading of it. I still find it odd the way he's painted France and some kind of footballing superpower, when they achieved very little at the Euros last year

France are heading for their fourth world cup final in the past seven tournaments. If that doesn't qualify them as a footballing superpower, then not sure what does.

• Like 11

The players they've produced and the Tournaments they have won would suggest they definitely are a Footballing superpower. We're not on their level, sadly. We're probably more similar to Denmark than France and that's the sad truth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Saka was done, he ran himself into the ground (and took some kickings) he had to come off. I agree Sterling was the wrong choose though as was Mount

I couldn't help thinking with that free kick at the end that is was perfect for Trent.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

My reading of it is that it's quite a long-winded way of saying "success breeds success". He's saying, in flowery journalistic language, that France won because they won the moments, and they won the moments because they knew they would, and they knew they would because they've done it before and it is just what they do.

England are getting there but we need that one win, that little bit of luck that just gets us that trophy, and gives us that innate, concrete knowledge that we are good. Not belief, knowledge.

Good to hear a logical assessment, instead of pretentious journalistic egotism.  You are spot on.

40 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

France are heading for their fourth world cup final in the past seven tournaments. If that doesn't qualify them as a footballing superpower, then not sure what does.

Plus a Euros win in 2000 and reaching the 2016 final of that tournament as well.

Bar the Spanish team of the late 2000's and early 2010's they are pretty comfortably the dominant European football team of the last thirty years.

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Although Mount earned us the penalty.

He made a run into the box, have another 20 caps. The French lad did the rest. Me and you could (still, just about) do what Mount did there.

When Mount had the ball 25 yards out and needed to hit it, with everything right, his momentum, his central position etc he hit it like a bobbins Championship or L1 player. 

Mount is Southgate on the pitch. No opponent worries about facing Mason bloody Mount.

Not having a pop at you, Fevs, just singling Mount out for some flak!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, BigTone said:

You are obviously ITK. Some of the regular ITK' ers on here will be feeling a tad uneasy right now at your level of ITK-ness. However, as a means of self preservation they will respond with a conspiracy theory of some kind fuelled by a contact they have who is ITK.

Some of us are visited by angels, some of us just know a bloke that knows a bloke that locks up the HPC at night .... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Plus a Euros win in 2000 and reaching the 2016 final of that tournament as well.

Bar the Spanish team of the late 2000's and early 2010's they are pretty comfortably the dominant European football team of the last thirty years.

Indeed. I think people just need to accept where we are as a nation, we have come a long way since the disgraceful night against Iceland in Euro 2016.

As Southgate said yesterday we are finally dining at the top table of European and World football. Belows is Germany’s world cup record - it just shows how consistently you need to keep getting to semi - finals and finals…

Germany record in World Cup

4 time Champion (second same with Italy).

4 time runner up (record).

4 time third place (record).

13 time semi-finalists appearance (record).

8 time finals appearance (record).

As @spudski has said France are heading to their fourth final in seven tournaments, as a nation we still have a long way to go to replicate them or the Germans but we do seem to be heading in the right direction for the first time in my life time..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

He made a run into the box, have another 20 caps. The French lad did the rest. Me and you could (still, just about) do what Mount did there.

When Mount had the ball 25 yards out and needed to hit it, with everything right, his momentum, his central position etc he hit it like a bobbins Championship or L1 player. 

Mount is Southgate on the pitch. No opponent worries about facing Mason bloody Mount.

Not having a pop at you, Fevs, just singling Mount out for some flak!

I’m no fan of Mount either, just pointing out he earned us a pen. Although I thought the fluidity of our attacking midfield three (which inc him) v Iran was good.  He needs to do more overall though.  You can see why Saka, Rashford and Foden have moved ahead of him though.

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We seem to be in the same sort of situation as Man City are with the Champions league. 

France are like Real Madrid. They just somehow find a way to win. 

England are like City in the Champions league, always just falling short. 

Shit, when did we qualify for the Champions League?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m no fan of Mount either, just pointing out he earned us a pen. Although I thought the fluidity of our attacking midfield three (which inc him) v Iran was good.  He needs to do more overall though.  You can see why Saka, Rashford and Foden have moved ahead of him though.

I think it worth saying is as well that he still 23. He certainly didn't have a great tournament, he needs to up his goals and/or assists and I don't think there is a case for him as a first choice starter for England at present but I think he is (deservedly) going to be part of the England set-up for a good many years to come. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Can someone explain to me what Mount is for? Lots rave about him. I just don't see it.

50 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Can someone explain to me what Mount is for? Lots rave about him. I just don't see it.

My feeling is he's someone who managers and players will like more than fans in that, based off the impression given by managers, what he does well is execute the manager's tactical plan is the way they want it implemented but without being especially spectacular in doing so. But you could say the same about Jordan Henderson, who was racked up over 300 Liverpool appearances, a Premier League and Champions League medal and an international cup final without most fans working out what he is good at. (Mount obviously has the Champions League win and tournament final appearance too).

In Bristol City terminology, I think he's a bit like Matty James. James' contribution during games isn't always obvious but it was very obvious how much worse we were tactically when he was injured. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

My feeling is he's someone who managers and players will like more than fans in that, based off the impression given by managers, what he does well is execute the manager's tactical plan is the way they want it implemented but without being especially spectacular in doing so. But you could say the same about Jordan Henderson, who was racked up over 300 Liverpool appearances, a Premier League and Champions League medal and an international cup final without most fans working out what he is good at. (Mount obviously has the Champions League win and tournament final appearance too).

In Bristol City terminology, I think he's a bit like Matty James. James' contribution during games isn't always obvious but it was very obvious how much worse we were tactically when he was injured. 

An 'engine room' player, then, like Carrick was?

23 hours ago, petehinton said:

Perfect summation, but probably a hard to accept pill to swallow for many a fair weather. 

976E9835-328E-4A17-8BCB-CE835E1C5E4E.jpeg

I get what the writer is trying to say but instinct and will can't control the officials or the opposition, or freak moments of play (like injuries). Or HK missing a penalty.

I would just say England gave France too much space to play, while France were on the England players whenever they had the ball. 

50 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Cole Skuse vibes, you don't make that many career appearances without being a valuable member of a team.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

44 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Getting on my nerves how people keep saying ‘well France scored twice from open play’…..so what? 
If they didn’t keep fouling our players then so might we have. 

Reminds me of the 2002 Rugby WC semi.  French moaning we only got our points from the boot of Wilkinson, and they scored the only try.  I’m no rugby officianado but easy to claim that if you concede a penalty instead of giving us the chance of a try.  24-7!!!!

15 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Cole Skuse vibes, you don't make that many career appearances without being a valuable member of a team.

Absolutely. Marlon Pack too. You don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone……as that well known football pundit Joni Mitchellput it! 

Edited by italian dave

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Absolutely. Marlon Pack too. You don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone……as that well known football pundit Joni Mitchellput it! 

A little known fact about that song is that it also has a reference to Eastville in it.

`They paved paradise and put up a parking lot`...................................................................

• Like 3