IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

4 minutes ago, !james said:

Tin hat time. Whilst I appreciate this was a good piece of skill I'm not sure it deserves the absolute wankfest it's received on social media. I mean if it wasn't Messi would it be getting the same praise?! A big lumbering centre back getting out run then having a Cruyff turn and turned inside... (Yes yes I know he is 35 and a goat)

Really? Gvardiol is what 8/9 inches taller than Messi who runs at full speed with the ball at his feet and just pushes him aside like its nothing. He's been doing this sort of stuff consistently his whole career.

• Flames 2

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I agree with the last bit. It was an accidental collision with no intent on either side.

I think that last bit is what I disagree with though. There was very clear intent on both sides. Alvarez was intent on getting it past Livakovic. Livakovic was intent on stopping him. You can’t just ignore all of that the moment that the ball is flicked past Livakovic. 

In that final milli-second the French defender on Saturday had no intent on bringing Saka down. But you wouldn’t argue that was just a collision would you? 

25 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Argentina fantastic

Of course they only won because FIFA wanted them to ??

Wasn't all that impressed by then to be fair.

They were solid, competent in possession not saying poor but not dazzling either.

They had an X Factor in Messi and a fine support act in Alvarez but certainly wasn't blown away or anything like that.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wasn't all that impressed by then to b4 fair.

They were solid, competent in possession not saying poor but not dazzling either.

They had an X Factor in Messi and a fine support act in Alvarez but certainly wasn't blown away or anything like that.

I’m a fan of the art of defending. Any team will find it hard to break them down when they play like that. 

29 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Croatia have won 1 game out of 6 in 90 minutes. Their gameplan relies on them being resilient and hanging in, so conceding 2 in quick succession did for them tonight.

To an extent I agree although their big problem appears to be the lack of a truly high end striker. In 2018, they were quite different- had both strong possession and created quite a lot of chances too.

Vs Brazil their final ball left a fair bit to be desired, ball didn't exactly stick well either.

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

I’m a fan of the art of defending. Any team will find it hard to break them down when they play like that. 

Agreed,.rather difficult to break down. Rather compact for sure.

1 hour ago, DolmanGaz said:

So, after a third Argie goal, back to England, as I can't get excited about this match now... what happened against France makes me just angry and disappointed about the 2020 final v Italy. THAT was our chance, despite the England team, squad, manager, tactics, etc, being better in 2022, we had such an easy run to the final in the Euro's, against an aging Italy team, and even took the lead. THAT is why I think Southgate has to go. He messed up the best chance this squad will ever get. France will be stronger in 2024...

I sort of agree but at same time in some ways dismissing both Italy and some of our opponents.

Italy were aging in places but very good midfield. Possibly we scored top early, a bit like v Croatia in 2018, but we showed some excellent discipline in that final but they took strong control in midfield. Coming into the tournament 25 unbeaten I believe it was and quite free scoring made them a contender IMO.

One last trip to the well and they got everything out- then setting up 4-3-3 helped them to control midfield too.

As for us...

Rice-Foden-Bellingham central 3 potentially.

Perm depending on opposition 2 from Mount, Sterling, Saka, Grealish, Maddison to be up there- Kane still?

It's far from doom and gloom.

Re: whether it was a penalty, obstruction, the goalie stood there and the striker ran into him etc. etc

There's a few of my age who will remember the days when we were playing when you could get kicked six feet in the air without the ball anywhere near you and the ref would shout " get on with it, it's a mans game"!

I'm not advocating a return to those days, the tackle from behind straight through you and when many tackles were downright gbh, but in recent years the laudable attempts to better protect players and prevent serious injuries have led to increasingly prescriptive refereeing on the laws and and a sanitisation of the game by the gradual removal of, it seems, almost any level of physical contact.

The issue is made worse by the fact the during the same period of time, players have become ever more adapt at various forms of cheating by kidding referees by diving, falling over when there is little or no contact, simulating injuries and making innocuous challenges appear far worse than they are by ridiculous amounts of play acting   ( Neymar , you know we are talking about you!).

40-50 years ago there were divers ( people like Francis Lee for example) but bearing in mind the types of tackling that was allowed back then it was amazing that so many players could ride very heavy challenges - ones that would be penalised these days - without falling over and asking the referee to brandish a card. Through this world cup many matches have featured a dozen players who would struggle to ride a tackle by my 7 year old grandson, let alone the likes of Ron Harris, Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith  and the like in their prime.

With the rule makers apparently wanting to protect the best and most skilful players, and to do so increasingly with more and more directives to referees ( and thereby the VAR teams!), I think it will not be too long before a debate as there is about today's penalty, i.e. was it a penalty, obstruction, did the striker run into the goal, will be academic, as the directives from the rule makers will have eliminated pretty well any physical contact, so that we will be seeing the round ball equivalent of touch rugby.

:mellow:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I still don’t forgive them for 86 so for me it’s now anyone but them

I don't forgive France for last week :laugh:

I hear their celebrations went on long into the night.

Nah, Messi deserves the WC imo

If on the other hand Morocco get there .....

Edited by AppyDAZE

57 minutes ago, !james said:

Tin hat time. Whilst I appreciate this was a good piece of skill I'm not sure it deserves the absolute wankfest it's received on social media. I mean if it wasn't Messi would it be getting the same praise?! A big lumbering centre back getting out run then having a Cruyff turn and turned inside... (Yes yes I know he is 35 and a goat)

Sort of similar to when Nicky Maynard scored "that" goal at QPR.

Not only one of the best I've seen by a City player, but one of the best I've ever seen, for pure individual skill and brilliance, but there was little to no wider coverage of the goal at the time. Many City fans commented that, had the goal been scored by Messi, Ronaldo or Rooney, we'd never hear the end of it. As it happens, Rooney scored his famous overhead goal against City at around the same time and, as we all well know,  it received wall to wall coverage and euphoric praise from commentators and pundits alike.

Yes Messi is one of the greatest of all time, but why, when he has played in the world cup, do commentators voices raise a couple of tones and decibels whenever he touches the ball? You sense they have a notebook full of hyperbole, ready to  be used whenever the great man produces a moment of brilliance and can equally sense their disappointment when that fails to materialise, or, heaven forbid, the opposition do something spectacular - like beat Argentina!

On a similar basis, and regarding the commentators " wankfest" syndrome. In one of Brazil's group matches I was doing some work, so was listening to, rather than watching, the tv coverage. I could clearly hear the commentators enthusing energetically while Brazil had possession, but then the sound went. Then the sound came back to yet another almost verbal orgasm while Brazil attacked, only for the sound to disappear. I thought it was an intermittent fault with the tv, but when I watched for a while, I realised that the commentators were giving it full beans while Brazil had the ball, but fell virtually silent, with little to say,  while the opposition were in possession!

Perhaps we just have to accept that this is a by product of the culture of celebrity we now live with, albeit, unlike the z listers with no talent  or achievements, that pass for celebs these days, Messi actually has talent, skill and brilliance in abundance and is deserving of his status as one of the greatest players of all time.

• Confused 1
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Don't start me on them. The real 'gold' in there was Scholes, but all the focus was on Gerrard and Lampard. And Captain Moneybags.

Where was Carrick in that equation? HE was the answer to the "Gerrard and Lampard" question: instead it should have been "Gerrard OR Lampard plus Carrick"

Or Hargreaves- either might have acted as a vital counter balance, a ying to the yang of Gerrard and Lampard bombing on. We sort of tried it in 2006 a bit, he had some injuries too iirc and we looked stable or he looked one of our more important players at times.

What is the CM 3 from that period then?

One or both of Gerrard and Lampard?

Carrick, Hargreaves or treat as a nice issue to have?

Scholes- underused, underappreciated, misused and eventually lost Scholes.

Hargreaves or Carrick

Lampard or Gerrard

Scholes

Central 3, 4-1-4-1 perhaps.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Sort of similar to when Nicky Maynard scored "that" goal at QPR.

Not only one of the best I've seen by a City player, but one of the best I've ever seen, for pure individual skill and brilliance, but there was little to no wider coverage of the goal at the time. Many City fans commented that, had the goal been scored by Messi, Ronaldo or Rooney, we'd never hear the end of it. As it happens, Rooney scored his famous overhead goal against City at around the same time and, as we all well know,  it received wall to wall coverage and euphoric praise from commentators and pundits alike.

Yes Messi is one of the greatest of all time, but why, when he has played in the world cup, do commentators voices raise a couple of tones and decibels whenever he touches the ball? You sense they have a notebook full of hyperbole, ready to  be used whenever the great man produces a moment of brilliance and can equally sense their disappointment when that fails to materialise, or, heaven forbid, the opposition do something spectacular - like beat Argentina!

On a similar basis, and regarding the commentators " wankfest" syndrome. In one of Brazil's group matches I was doing some work, so was listening to, rather than watching, the tv coverage. I could clearly hear the commentators enthusing energetically while Brazil had possession, but then the sound went. Then the sound came back to yet another almost verbal orgasm while Brazil attacked, only for the sound to disappear. I thought it was an intermittent fault with the tv, but when I watched for a while, I realised that the commentators were giving it full beans while Brazil had the ball, but fell virtually silent, with little to say,  while the opposition were in possession!

Perhaps we just have to accept that this is a by product of the culture of celebrity we now live with, albeit, unlike the z listers with no talent  or achievements, that pass for celebs these days, Messi actually has talent, skill and brilliance in abundance and is deserving of his status as one of the greatest players of all time.

Oh how i love the celebrity culture, only thing that gets me out of bed each morning.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Oh how i love the celebrity culture, only thing that gets me out of bed each morning.

I bet you have the entire Love Island series on catch up! :)

Pointless Celebrities must be the show with the most apposite title ever!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Still can’t believe Croatia made it past Brazil to be honest..

I thought they looked absolutely finished as a team when we beat them in the Euro’s, never did i think in a million years we would see them get to another semi-final but credit to them, a very resilient footballing country that has a population the same as Wales, it is hugely impressive what they have done on the world stage.

As for Argentina i am sorry but i cannot stand them, i would love either Morocco or France to beat them in the final.

I can't believe I'm actually saying this but yes come on France, on a scale of one to ten on how much I wan't Argentina to lose as Len Goodman famously said most weeks on strictly "it's a ten from me"

2 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Still can’t believe Croatia made it past Brazil to be honest..

I thought they looked absolutely finished as a team when we beat them in the Euro’s, never did i think in a million years we would see them get to another semi-final but credit to them, a very resilient footballing country that has a population the same as Wales, it is hugely impressive what they have done on the world stage.

As for Argentina i am sorry but i cannot stand them, i would love either Morocco or France to beat them in the final.

Excellent midfield always gives you a chance. Brazil was a major shock but they got it tactically perfect and yes had some luck, great GK.

9 hours ago, pillred said:

I can't believe I'm actually saying this but yes come on France, on a scale of one to ten on how much I wan't Argentina to lose as Len Goodman famously said most weeks on strictly "it's a ten from me"

If it's an Argentina v France final, then the ideal result would be both to.lose!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If it's an Argentina v France final, then the ideal result would be both to.lose!

I dis like the Argies more than the French. Besides, if France win, we can say we lost to the winners, so it won't seem (quite) so bad.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

If it's an Argentina v France final, then the ideal result would be both to. Lose!

You gotta say though that the Argies have the momentum.  Getting better with every match after a terrible start.

France, well, they've been hit-or-miss and weren't even playing at their best when they beat us. Morocco - well, we all like a fairy tale, but I think pulling off two further shocks will be beyond them. 

31 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Anyone think if the Argies win it, Messi might retire?

I'm sure I read this morning that Messi has said that the WC final will be his last international.

I think he owns an apartment in Miami, so quite possible he could finish his club career with Golden Balls.

• Thanks 1