IGNORED

You can't have your own facts

gornagain

That half our team is great and/or awful (sometimes at the same time). We have a very average team with a few players marginally better and some marginally worse. Scott/Semenyo may go on to play for a top 6-10th at best.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 5

(looks around nervously, ok, its close season, kinda...)

That "On February 3rd 1982, eight players selflessly tore up their contracts to save the club from financial ruin – an act which will never be forgotten".

It's much more nuanced than that. The real choice they faced at the time was either rip up their contracts, get nothing and save the club, or don't rip up your contracts, the club most likely folds...and you still get nothing. In any real sense their contracts at this stage were worthless.

All of them did and thank heavens for that. I was lucky to meet and have a chat with one of them about 20 years ago however who found the whole 'hero' thing a bit odd. No bad feelings as such, but more they were every bit as much victims as hero's.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, cityexile said:

(looks around nervously, ok, its close season, kinda...)

That "On February 3rd 1982, eight players selflessly tore up their contracts to save the club from financial ruin – an act which will never be forgotten".

It's much more nuanced than that. The real choice they faced at the time was either rip up their contracts, get nothing and save the club, or don't rip up your contracts, the club most likely folds...and you still get nothing. In any real sense their contracts at this stage were worthless.

All of them did and thank heavens for that. I was lucky to meet and have a chat with one of them about 20 years ago however who found the whole 'hero' thing a bit odd. No bad feelings as such, but more they were every bit as much victims as hero's.

Totally agree, it's worded to appear like the contracts they tore up were worth something. They would've been lucky to have received 5p in every pound they were owed as they would've been on a long list of those owed money. Thus if they had 20 months remaining on their contracts they'd have been fortunate to receive one month of that.

They were promised the proceeds of a testimonial game if they tore up their contracts. Therefore they were faced with the option of demanding their contracts be honoured and get very little but have supporters of Bristol City forever blame them for killing off their club or tearing up their contracts and also receiving very little but at least not being blamed for destroying Bristol City and, as it transpired, being elevated to hero status. 

I'm not saying that I don't appreciate the fact they tore up their contracts but I do think it should be put into perspective and not mythologised as them having a dream to save the club. It was nothing of the sort. It was more like a nightmare they experienced. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

That half our team is great and/or awful (sometimes at the same time). We have a very average team with a few players marginally better and some marginally worse. Scott/Semenyo may go on to play for a top 6-10th at best.

Am I reading this right, you genuinely think the ceiling for those two is 6th-10th in this league?

I understand Semenyo divides opinion a bit, but surely anyone can see that Scott will go on to play in the Prem. 

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Am I reading this right, you genuinely think the ceiling for those two is 6th-10th in this league?

I understand Semenyo divides opinion a bit, but surely anyone can see that Scott will go on to play in the Prem. 

6-10 Prem team

4 hours ago, cityexile said:

. The real choice they faced at the time was either rip up their contracts, get nothing and save the club,

Your own facts and wholly incorrect.

For 'ripping up' their contracts (technically a mutually agreed annulment,) they received their registrations such they could earn their living elsewhere, a cash payout & promises of future benefits. In total, from City, they received about half of that owed under the balance of their very long contracts. They also signed for new clubs and continued plying their trade (unsuccessfully.) Far from 'nothing'.

You're correct though that had they not so done they would have received nothing, plus wouldn't have been able to sign for other clubs until the administrators had sold or released their registrations.

Dream my a**e.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

When people say without Steve lansdown we’d be ruined .

I actually think we would of done what every other club our size has done and at least have a few years in the prem . 

I’ll get ready for the lansdown cult with their confused emojis ?

Truth is, it's impossible to prove either way.

Could have led to triumph, could have led to disaster, much the same or anything in between.

Had he rolled the dice bigger in January 2008 though, pre FFP- well maybe we do go up that year. A missed opportunity perhaps.

Otoh the Championship costs a lot so technically speaking without the cash he puts in, we'd either have to spend less or be insolvent. Then again for that, read most Championship clubs!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

"We deserve to be/should be higher, because delete as appropriate big city, fans who keep turning out etc etc".

While context of course is everything and we have wasted opportunities, factually speaking this is the longest unbroken stint in the 2nd tier since the 1960s/1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bristol_City_F.C._seasons

Check for yourself..

It's probably also one if the highest ratios of 2nd to 3rd tier in our history  

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Totally agree, it's worded to appear like the contracts they tore up were worth something. They would've been lucky to have received 5p in every pound they were owed as they would've been on a long list of those owed money. Thus if they had 20 months remaining on their contracts they'd have been fortunate to receive one month of that.

They were promised the proceeds of a testimonial game if they tore up their contracts. Therefore they were faced with the option of demanding their contracts be honoured and get very little but have supporters of Bristol City forever blame them for killing off their club or tearing up their contracts and also receiving very little but at least not being blamed for destroying Bristol City and, as it transpired, being elevated to hero status. 

I'm not saying that I don't appreciate the fact they tore up their contracts but I do think it should be put into perspective and not mythologised as them having a dream to save the club. It was nothing of the sort. It was more like a nightmare they experienced. 

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Your own facts and wholly incorrect.

For 'ripping up' their contracts (technically a mutually agreed annulment,) they received their registrations such they could earn their living elsewhere, a cash payout & promises of future benefits. In total, from City, they received about half of that owed under the balance of their very long contracts. They also signed for new clubs and continued plying their trade (unsuccessfully.) Far from 'nothing'.

You're correct though that had they not so done they would have received nothing, plus wouldn't have been able to sign for other clubs until the administrators had sold or released their registrations.

Dream my a**e.

I'm pretty sure everyone is fully aware it wasn't a "dream" - it just fits the bloody song ?

- Moving the home or away fans around in the ground will magically improve the atmosphere

- "Football back in my day something something atmosphere and passion something something modern santised experience"... sorry, but you've just got older, that's the primary thing that's happened.

- Williams and James won't/don't work as a midfield paring because they're too slow or something - that was accepted wisdom on here for quite a while

• Like 1