IGNORED

David Baddiel and Jason Lee

Tinmans Love Child

4 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

In cricket a similar story with Indian cricketer Cheteshwar Pujara at Yorkshire was one of the incidents highlighted as being racist.

Jack Brooks, now at Somerset, was one of the players called out for calling him Steve.

I must admit I didn’t think for a second the Jason Lee thing was racist at the time, nor us calling Fam “Dave” but I guess it just shows your never too old to be educated.

You didnt find it racist at the time because it wasnt It was called taking the piss

Something that you can no longer do

unless it is aimed at a straight white male 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

You didnt find it racist at the time because it wasnt It was called taking the piss

I'd love to see an example of taking the piss out of a straight white male that couldn't be applied to just about anyone with no extra offense.

If it's taking the piss out of a black person that wouldn't work or make sense if applied to a white person, then it's not taking the piss, it's racism.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Trueredsupporter said:

People remember Gloria McGarvey wasnt a bad player but was slaughtered by City fans in the enclosure EE for his sun tan, hair and use of hair products?

Heading the ball caused an oil slick.

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I'd love to see an example of taking the piss out of a straight white male that couldn't be applied to just about anyone with no extra offense.

Gamon nazi fascist far right? you dont call these out in the politics section when chucked at those with parents who fought and were pows in the second world war. You didnt call out a poster using them against somebody with a mixed race family. Seems these cards only work one way.

Edited by Three Lions
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

If it's taking the piss out of a black person that wouldn't work or make sense if applied to a white person, then it's not taking the piss, it's racism.

One of my best mates is a straight white male with ginger hair - we have been in pubs where people we hardly know have taken the piss, he’s had it for 42 years, yet that’s apparently fine. 

4 minutes ago, Rob k said:

One of my best mates is a straight white male with ginger hair - we have been in pubs where people we hardly know have taken the piss, he’s had it for 42 years, yet that’s apparently fine. 

And if he was black with ginger hair then it would be equally as bad. Nothing to do with being a straight white male whatsoever.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Gamon nazi fascist far right? you dont call these out in the politics section when chucked at those with parents who fought and were pows in the second world war. You didnt call out a poster using them against somebody with a mixed race family. Seems these cards only work one way.

I'm sorry, do you view those terms as a form of taking the piss? If you don't then you are missing the point entirely. If you do then you do not understand the gravity of having those terms used against you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I'm sorry, do you view those terms as a form of taking the piss? 

No swerving. Answer the questions. 

27 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Heading the ball caused an oil slick.

Is it ok to call somebody a nazi when their Dad fought them and was a pow? 

51 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

What our fathers did matters and is precious. who are the fascists and nazis on otib? There are none. Its crap your part of and dont call out. 

To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever been called a nazi on OTIB so what is there to call out?

Yes, what our fathers did is precious, but in what way does it stop somebody becoming a nazi themselves?

50 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Think your tying yourself in knots here

please explain how?

20 hours ago, MarcusX said:

There was a lot that went on at that time that makes for some uncomfortable viewing now. A lot of "blacking up", Craig David's been critical of Bo Selecta and the impact it had on him, some of the sketches from Little Britain and Come Fly With Me are quite cringeworthy now. Even been re-watching The Office lately (US version) and some of the stuff isn't even borderline, it's just out and out racist.

I think we've come a long way in terms of what is acceptable humour. I always thought it was odd that lots of people referred to Fammy as "Dave" too

I find Come Fly With ME particularly weird in that it was 2010 it came out and, even by the time of Fantasy Football in the 1990s, it was widely accepted that blacking up was no longer acceptable. There was just somehow become this idea that, if you said you were an alternative comedian, overt racism was okay - as long as you said you were being ironic when you were doing it. 

• Like 2

So many threads on this forum descend into a finger pointing competition around being/not being a racist/homophobe/sexist etc etc.  

The constant caricaturing of each other based upon nothing but a post on a football forum gets a bit much! 

But I do appreciate that when there are no City games some have way to much time on their hands. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

People forget that all of this is a 2 way street for all concerned. It's those dogooders who take offence on behalf of others that need to wake up and get a life away from their keyboards.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

17 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Never said I had a problem but people are so easily offended nowadays whereas in my younger days (I'm 55) entertainment was clearly different.

As for the 'dishing out' comment, utter rubbish. I and my ilk may not be PC nowadays but don't look for reasons to be offended and, personally, I'm content with not being PC, which doesn't mean being offensive.

My comment wasn't aimed at you personally, I don't know you, although I'm not sure why anyone would be content with not being PC, if you know a term or joke or comment which you used to use back in the day is now deemed offensive, then to me it seems pretty strange to knowingly not care about that and continue to use it, just because you don't deem it offensive.  

I think the difference now is we have a much more diverse population than we did even 20/30 years ago let alone 50/60 years ago, so it's only natural that attitudes to certain things like race and religion will (and should) change.  

When I was in senior school 1990-95, in my whole school year there were 4 black kids and 0 Asian kids out of say 200 kids total.  My understanding is that minority groups make up closer to 50% of kids now.  Im sure those 4 kids in my year will have taken just as much offence to the causal racist comments, that will no doubt have been uttered from time to time, to kids from minority groups today, the difference now is to some extent strength in numbers, and those casual racist instances are getting called out more and more, and as the minority's increase, the awareness of what is or isn't racist is much more prevalent for all groups.  

It may seem like the millennials are too PC, although that's not really a bad thing is it, but actually they are more aware of what is or isn't acceptable in 2022.  I don't agree in cancel culture as I accept times have changed, but it's poor to knowingly not change your attitudes.  I would be sacked from my job if I referred to colleagues using terms from my youth, or made jokes that were deemed ok in my youth, and rightly so.  I'm not weak for having this attitude, far from it.

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

My comment wasn't aimed at you personally, I don't know you, although I'm not sure why anyone would be content with not being PC, if you know a term or joke or comment which you used to use back in the day is now deemed offensive, then to me it seems pretty strange to knowingly not care about that and continue to use it, just because you don't deem it offensive.  

I think the difference now is we have a much more diverse population than we did even 20/30 years ago let alone 50/60 years ago, so it's only natural that attitudes to certain things like race and religion will (and should) change.  

When I was in senior school 1990-95, in my whole school year there were 4 black kids and 0 Asian kids out of say 200 kids total.  My understanding is that minority groups make up closer to 50% of kids now.  Im sure those 4 kids in my year will have taken just as much offence to the causal racist comments, that will no doubt have been uttered from time to time, to kids from minority groups today, the difference now is to some extent strength in numbers, and those casual racist instances are getting called out more and more, and as the minority's increase, the awareness of what is or isn't racist is much more prevalent for all groups.  

It may seem like the millennials are too PC, although that's not really a bad thing is it, but actually they are more aware of what is or isn't acceptable in 2022.  I don't agree in cancel culture as I accept times have changed, but it's poor to knowingly not change your attitudes.  I would be sacked from my job if I referred to colleagues using terms from my youth, or made jokes that were deemed ok in my youth, and rightly so.  I'm not weak for having this attitude, far from it.

All fair comments TLC.

I'm blaming nobody but myself and I've tried to embrace the changes but, I believe it's gone too far nowadays. I wouldn't look to offend anyone but do believe some are looking to be offended, hence my too far' comment.

While I blame nobody but myself, neither will I apologise for holding a non PC outlook. Rest assured, I am certainly not alone.

As for work, until recently, I held quite a senior position before slowing down a bit, didn't suffer at all. If it's racial, I don't see anyone as a colour, just the person and have spent many a happy hour discussing, for example, Muslim beliefs with colleagues.

I am what I am and see no reason to change and most definitely not apologise.

No offence meant in any way, to your good self or anyone else.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I find Come Fly With ME particularly weird in that it was 2010 it came out and, even by the time of Fantasy Football in the 1990s, it was widely accepted that blacking up was no longer acceptable. There was just somehow become this idea that, if you said you were an alternative comedian, overt racism was okay - as long as you said you were being ironic when you were doing it. 

Not sure I agree with you there, LB. The territory where there had been the biggest controversy over blacking up was in the US, where, if you like, the original crime of mocking 'minstrel shows' and 'c**n songs' originated. Examining that sort of power structure and soft oppression began in a big way in US academia in the late 70s/early 80s when black rights got more sophisticated than the separatism/f- the police attitude of the late 60s/early 70s. 

In the much less conflicted UK, it wasn't unusual in the early 90s for people to black up for fancy dress parties, use the P- word when referring to South Asian run cornershops, call a Chinese takeaway a 'chinkie' or even tell racist jokes openly. When I worked for Virgin Megastores in the 80s, they even sold a couple of books called Racist Jokes and More Racist Jokes.

Such attitudes gradually waned and otherwise OK people who were carrying the linguistic baggage of the racist 60s and 70s began to realise that normal people didn't say stuff like "Do you want me to get anything from the P- shop?"

Now, only the elderly and fascistic openly use racist language and the connotations of blackface have become such that it's unthinkable now that a new comedy would be produced using it. 

I think if a white player had worn piled-up dreads in the way Jason Lee did, and white people do sometimes, he'd have been the subject of piss-taking. So, I don't think there was any intention to be racist, but how it looks in 2022 is an unfortunate legacy of a more naïve and clumsily offensive age. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not sure I agree with you there, LB. The territory where there had been the biggest controversy over blacking up was in the US, where, if you like, the original crime of mocking 'minstrel shows' and 'c**n songs' originated. Examining that sort of power structure and soft oppression began in a big way in US academia in the late 70s/early 80s when black rights got more sophisticated than the separatism/f- the police attitude of the late 60s/early 70s. 

In the much less conflicted UK, it wasn't unusual in the early 90s for people to black up for fancy dress parties, use the P- word when referring to South Asian run cornershops, call a Chinese takeaway a 'chinkie' or even tell racist jokes openly. When I worked for Virgin Megastores in the 80s, they even sold a couple of books called Racist Jokes and More Racist Jokes.

Such attitudes gradually waned and otherwise OK people who were carrying the linguistic baggage of the racist 60s and 70s began to realise that normal people didn't say stuff like "Do you want me to get anything from the P- shop?"

Now, only the elderly and fascistic openly use racist language and the connotations of blackface have become such that it's unthinkable now that a new comedy would be produced using it. 

I think if a white player had worn piled-up dreads in the way Jason Lee did, and white people do sometimes, he'd have been the subject of piss-taking. So, I don't think there was any intention to be racist, but how it looks in 2022 is an unfortunate legacy of a more naïve and clumsily offensive age. 

I agree with you RR. I also think that these days some who take offence with various issues are actually more racist because they allow their minds to think in such a manner instead if looking at humour or banter. I said in a previous thread it is a 2 way street. Many people of I know of different race take the michael out of us and why not. If I'd taken offence at every anti English comment made to me in my travels then I would be a basket case by now.

I know my thoughts on race etc and I dont need anyone that doesn't know me to be judge and jury. They are the ones with the racist problem.

Too many keyboard warriors these days who are frankly clueless.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

I agree with you RR. I also think that these days some who take offence with various issues are actually more racist because they allow their minds to think in such a manner instead if looking at humour or banter. I said in a previous thread it is a 2 way street. Many people of I know of different race take the michael out of us and why not. If I'd taken offence at every anti English comment made to me in my travels then I would be a basket case by now.

I know my thoughts on race etc and I dont need anyone that doesn't know me to be judge and jury. They are the ones with the racist problem.

Too many keyboard warriors these days who are frankly clueless.

The problem with this is that what you may think is banter and a bit of a laugh, might not be for someone else even when they are going along with it. I had a loose friend from school who was Asian, and we used to "banter" growing up and he said looking back that it actually made him feel quite shit. He went along with it, but it reinforced the difference he already felt as one of the few Asians in our school and also added to other everyday racism he experienced elsewhere which got particularly extreme post 9/11. 

I think if you've not grown up regularly experiencing Racism then it's not going to affect you in the same way it would someone who has. I remember being away and being targeted due to my nationality, it was still scary, but I hadn't had to experience that on a regular basis like my friend and didn't trigger all those trauma responses it could in someone else. We're also not all the same and some people will experience racism and it won't affect them in the same way it does their peers. 

You say you know your thoughts on Race, and I'm sure you do. I was brought up in a very racist household and my much older sibling was quite extreme. I know that had an impact on me, and I've had to reflect on that which wasn't comfortable at times, but was even more uncomfortable for those I hurt even if I felt it was unintentional. If you're using racism as banter you really need to ask yourself why you're doing it, and think about what is going underneath for both you and the person.

It's not about being a keyboard warrior, it's just reflecting on your behaviour and listening to what people who experienced racism are saying and trying to understand it without being defensive. Me and my mates rinse eachother all the time, but you do have to have some boundaries. A work in progress. 

Edit: I do get pissed off when people still use the word Chav though.  I fit the stereotype as a teenager and was labeled as such. That was backed up by the constant press attacks on youth at the time and the likes of Little Britain. It definitely had an impact on a sub conscious level. 

Edited by Rebounder

23 hours ago, REDOXO said:

The blackand white minstrel show was part of a tv culture that existed through the 60s 70s 80s followed by Love thy neighbor, the original till death us do part (Warren Mitchell being famously Jewish, some of his pontifications on the subject are good reading and if they are not part of Badiel’s show bloody well should be) on the busses and various tv shows characterized negatively black people in this country. (Although the lampooning was often at the expense of the racist white guy) However after Brixton St Paul’s etc etc etc there was a change in the tv culture. 

22 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

To give another example, as a kid, I loved 'love thy neighbour'. Imagine that on Tele today plus, the mighty only fools and horses would struggle to get on prime TV nowadays due to 'potentially offensive content'. My generation just found these programs funny and never even thought they were naughty at all.

I used to watch 'Love thy Neighbour' occasionally, although it certainly wasn't my favourite TV comedy of the time.

What sticks most in my mind, however, was how one of the stars, Nina Baden-Semper, was probably the first black person I ever got to chat to on a regular basis.

As a teenager back in the 1970s, I used to have a morning paper round and, unbeknown to me, Nina was one of the customers on my round - she had recently married a vicar and moved in to the neighbourhood.

I first happened upon her one morning during the school holidays, obviously starting my round later than during term time, and when, in my teenage embarrassment, I blurted out something along the lines of 'You're Barbie, aren't you?' - this was her character, and not the later partner of Ken - she smiled that lovely warm smile and told me that I should call her Nina. 

Thereafter, we would always say Hello and have a little chat.

What a beautiful lady - in the true sense of the word.  

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Rebounder said:

The problem with this is that what you may think is banter and a bit of a laugh, might not be for someone else even when they are going along with it. I had a loose friend from school who was Asian, and we used to "banter" growing up and he said looking back that it actually made him feel quite shit. He went along with it, but it reinforced the difference he already felt as one of the few Asians in our school and also added to other everyday racism he experienced elsewhere which got particularly extreme post 9/11. 

I think if you've not grown up regularly experiencing Racism then it's not going to affect you in the same way it would someone who has. I remember being away and being targeted due to my nationality, it was still scary, but I hadn't had to experience that on a regular basis like my friend and didn't trigger all those trauma responses it could in someone else. We're also not all the same and some people will experience racism and it won't affect them in the same way it does their peers. 

You say you know your thoughts on Race, and I'm sure you do. I was brought up in a very racist household and my much older sibling was quite extreme. I know that had an impact on me, and I've had to reflect on that which wasn't comfortable at times, but was even more uncomfortable for those I hurt even if I felt it was unintentional. If you're using racism as banter you really need to ask yourself why you're doing it, and think about what is going underneath for both you and the person.

It's not about being a keyboard warrior, it's just reflecting on your behaviour and listening to what people who experienced racism are saying and trying to understand it without being defensive. Me and my mates rinse eachother all the time, but you do have to have some boundaries. A work in progress. 

Edit: I do get pissed off when people still use the word Chav though.  I fit the stereotype as a teenager and was labeled as such. That was backed up by the constant press attacks on youth at the time and the likes of Little Britain. It definitely had an impact on a sub conscious level. 

We've all been subject to racism at some point. I left home aged 16 and moved to Australia on my own to stay with distant family.  My first job was working for a German run building company where 90% of the workers did not talk English or refused to do so.  I would cop all sorts of racist comments which you either allow to get to you or you grow a thick skin and get on with life. Mostly it was banter but some you could tell meant it.  Likewise, as an Englishman in Australia you were subject to a barrage of shite for being a Pommie. Again you either get on with life or let it get you down. You learn quickly to give as good as you get and they tend to appreciate when you do. Again most of the time it is banter and back then was acceptable. Times change I suppose.

I feel sorry for your Asian friend especially post 9/11 as I'm sure a good few of the comments were uncalled for and I understand why he felt down.  I was lucky to come from a family who were in no way racist so as a kid was something I never really experienced but as I say that changed when I left home for the great wide world.  I have worked in the Middle East and also Morocco. In Saudi I did not experience any racism directed at myself but certainly migrant workers there did not have an easy ride and their treatment was uncalled for.  I have experienced racism in Morocco but mostly abuse because they think all Westerners are American. That was very much a minority and most Moroccans were fantastic people.

As I say times change and the world is now a much different place for good or for bad.

18 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I suppose I was talking specifically about TV. I grew up in a very white village in South Gloucestershire and you're absolutely right about the fact that racist jokes and casual racist language was a part of everyday life in the 90s. And I know people blacked up for fancy dress parties. But I still think that, even from when I was 10 or so in around 1992, I knew that there had been blackface TV shows like the Black and White Minsterel show in the past and - whilst a lot of people didn't see the problem - there was a clear sense that shows like that weren't allowed on TV on any more. 

It certainly wouldn't have surprised me to learn someone blacked up for a fancy dress costume in the mid-90s but it does surprise me that TV editors/compliance people let David Baddiel wear blackface as late as 1995 (and Lucas & Walliams much later). And I to think there was a double-standard where Bernard Manning, Jethro or Minsterels as entertainment were never going to be allowed near a TV show because told racist jokes but there was a new generation of comedians who were allowed to tell racist jokes or (in rare cases) black up as long as they claimed to be mocking the fact that people were racist rather than racism itself, and I think that the line between the two was thin in practice.

Ultimately I agree that David Baddiel would never thought of his mocking of Jason Lee as being racist and, as you say, he'd have felt it was no different to mocking a white person with similar hair. But it still surprises me that - given it was an age where other forms of blacking up had been removed from television - nobody editing the programmes spotted the way it would be perceived.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Not even all German soldiers during WW2 supposedly "fighting for the cause" were Nazis - far from it.

Your in danger of tying yourself up?

If you reflect the values of the nazi's then surely you cannot get upset when people call you a nazi? Who your father was is irrelevant to that.

How is that tying myself up in knots?