IGNORED

David Baddiel and Jason Lee

Tinmans Love Child

2 minutes ago, Lewisdabaron said:

How long do we have to wait before “Gimmie gimmie gimmie” appoligise for their racist scene in the English restaurant “give me the blandest thing on the menu” or was that just banter?

i’ll wait. 

Pointing out that Indian food is spicier than English food is hardly racist is it?

• Like 2

Skinner and Baddiel did a lot of taking the piss out of people for their physical characteristics.

We were reminded many times that Peter Reid had "a monkey's heeed" (head) and one time they had a picture of John Barnes mocked up to show that the top of his head was smaller than the bottom of his head.

IIRC Tracey Ullman was on the show when they did that and she said something like "It's all about physicality with you, maybe he just had a difficult birth." She didn't find it funny.

It was an easy, lazy form of humour but it was that kind of show, post pub; laugh at the bloke with the odd shaped head.

I suspect Peter Reid took more stick than Jason Lee and that he didn't like it either.

Who would?

6 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Pointing out that Indian food is spicier than English food is hardly racist is it?

But blacking up is just pointing out that the person is black? Or mimicking an indian or Jamacian accent just pointing out the differences???? 

You know exactly what they meant. But it doesnt fit your anti White agenda.

Keep digging yourself into a hole-  as your usually do. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Lewisdabaron said:

How long do we have to wait before “Gimmie gimmie gimmie” appoligise for their racist scene in the English restaurant “give me the blandest thing on the menu” or was that just banter?

i’ll wait. 

Why on Earth would Gimme, Gimme, Gimme be apologising for a scene that appeared in a completely different TV show?

24 minutes ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Or was it Goodness Gracious Me? Either way, it is still in very bad taste & should be made to appolgise nationally. 

Personally I think you'd need to be quite easily offended to get upset about someone satirising British behaviour in Indian restaurants. I don't want to speak for anyone else but I wasn't personally offended by it and I've never personally met anyone whose told me that sketch had a negative impact on their life.

On the other hand, Jason Lee talks quite eloquently about how the pineapple jokes affected him and, certainly within the industry I work in, I've met a lot of black people and people of other ethnicities who can clearly explain how negative stereotypes and perceptions of them - often reinforced by jokes - has had a direct effect on their career. And, to me at least, there is a clear difference between a joke that takes the piss out of a particular type of entitled behaviour and a joke that reinforces existing negative attitudes in a way that directly impacts on people's lives.  

I'm not trying to have a go but I genuinely don't understand why some people counter examples of racism or racist jokes with a rush to find something mildly inappropriate a Black or Asian person has said about white people and claim to be desperately upset about it as though getting offended by things people say is some kind of competitive sport.

If you genuinely have been upset and outraged by the Goodness Gracious Me sketch over twenty years, and I've missed a whole host of posts, threads and campaigns from you demanding an apology for it then - whilst I think you're overreacting somewhat - I nonetheless apologise for questioning your integrity.

But if there's no evidence anywhere that the Goodness Gracious Me sketch had upset you in any way, and you've suddenly felt the need to raise it now, twenty-odd years on, in direct response to another allegation of racism then I hope you'll forgive me for finding your motivation very suspicious.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

6 hours ago, BigTone said:

We've all been subject to racism at some point. I left home aged 16 and moved to Australia on my own to stay with distant family.  My first job was working for a German run building company where 90% of the workers did not talk English or refused to do so.  I would cop all sorts of racist comments which you either allow to get to you or you grow a thick skin and get on with life. Mostly it was banter but some you could tell meant it.  Likewise, as an Englishman in Australia you were subject to a barrage of shite for being a Pommie. Again you either get on with life or let it get you down. You learn quickly to give as good as you get and they tend to appreciate when you do. Again most of the time it is banter and back then was acceptable. Times change I suppose.

I feel sorry for your Asian friend especially post 9/11 as I'm sure a good few of the comments were uncalled for and I understand why he felt down.  I was lucky to come from a family who were in no way racist so as a kid was something I never really experienced but as I say that changed when I left home for the great wide world.  I have worked in the Middle East and also Morocco. In Saudi I did not experience any racism directed at myself but certainly migrant workers there did not have an easy ride and their treatment was uncalled for.  I have experienced racism in Morocco but mostly abuse because they think all Westerners are American. That was very much a minority and most Moroccans were fantastic people.

As I say times change and the world is now a much different place for good or for bad.

Sorry to be a pedant but what you suffered in Oz is xenophobia not racism isn't it?  Not very nice obviously 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Sorry to be a pedant but what you suffered in Oz is xenophobia not racism isn't it?  Not very nice obviously 

No, its racism as Australia is built on many different races of people with varying ethnic backgrounds.

Edited by BigTone
  • Hmmm 1

On 28/11/2022 at 12:48, Tinmans Love Child said:

https://youtu.be/he6Nq2lWLJ0

Really interesting discussion between Jason Lee and David Baddiel on the infamous (and quite frankly racist) sketches from Fantasy Football League back in the 90's.  Anyone around at the time will no doubt remember the abuse Jason Lee got on the programme because of his dreadlocks, the subsequent chants about his hair, which from memory impacted his form and he dropped down the leagues.  

When you look back on the sketches now with Baddiel having a black face etc its quite surprising it was ever allowed on TV at all, even in the 90's, but there was definitely a culture at that time of everything being ok as long as you said it was banter.  I used to watch the show a lot as a teenager and didn't really think about it at the time, but looking back most of the jokes seemed to be ripping anyone in football who was deemed ugly or weird by Skinner and Baddiel.

David Baddiel is doing a new doc on anti semitism so I guess he needed to address the uncomfortable truth regarding Jason Lee as part of this, shame it took him all this time to actually apologies!

It wasn’t racist what happen to Jason Lee but it wasn’t right.  He was targeted and lampoon because he wasn’t very good and he had a funny hair cut .  If Jason was a better player it wouldn’t been such of an issue.

When you see the abuse and micky take that Harry Maguire gets it crosses the line for me, but let’s say that level of criticism was directed at a black player it would be conceived as racist is some quarters. Not everything in life is down to race and colour.

11 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Personally I think you'd need to be quite easily offended to get upset about someone satirising British behaviour in Indian restaurants. I don't want to speak for anyone else but I wasn't personally offended by it and I've never personally met anyone whose told me that sketch had a negative impact on their life.

Indeed.

• Like 1