IGNORED

Sound Of City - Geoff with Brian Tinnion

Sheltons Army

36 minutes ago, Jacki said:

This was excellent. You can really hear Tinnion’s passion for the club, the youth and his new role. Definitely worth catching up with when you get a minute. We’re in safe hands

Yes absolutely......compare and contrast with Ashton who was only interested in one thing - himself.

• Like 3

Can only be seriously impressed whenever BT speaks about his job and the club. I don’t feel like he has an ego. So he can have honest conversations about players with everyone. Guess the easier thing to say is I don’t get the impression that he has to be right all the time.

His track record tells the story of he can spot a player. I can’t really envision him not being good in this role unless he somehow undermined. That is also something I worry less about nowadays. I often get this feeling with city that everything is coming together. Then we play on a Saturday or Tuesday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For all those that want NP out listen to this. How many other managers would buy in to the club ethos. Would another manager have 9 players in the match day squad that have come through the ranks. Unlikely. The whole club is moving in an upward trajectory. Keep the faith.

• Like 9
  • Robin 4

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

For all those that want NP out listen to this. How many other managers would buy in to the club ethos. Would another manager have 9 players in the match day squad that have come through the ranks. Unlikely. The whole club is moving in an upward trajectory. Keep the faith.

I think the answer is probably…only those desperate for a club and / or those who represent a huge risk for whatever reason, e.g. inexperience, just a big name, etc.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think the answer is probably…only those desperate for a club and / or those who represent a huge risk for whatever reason, e.g. inexperience, just a big name, etc.

There have been Managers we have had in the past, (not recent ones) who I believe have held young players back, out of jealousy. I have no evidence of that, just sometimes reading between the lines, and there being no other apparent reason for not forwarding a players career.

Of course it might also be an over bearing need to protect those players as well, and I have misread the situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

There have been Managers we have had in the past, (not recent ones) who I believe have held young players back, out of jealousy. I have no evidence of that, just sometimes reading between the lines, and there being no other apparent reason for not forwarding a players career.

Of course it might also be an over bearing need to protect those players as well, and I have misread the situation.

What young players do you think could’ve made it with us? 

37 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Just listened to this today and Tinman’s passion for the role really came across.

My only concern with the setup is the jobs for the boys. Micky Bell, Matty Hewlett. Hope they are there on merit and not just because he knows them

Matty Hewlett still got that Simon from inbetweeners quiff?

On 30/11/2022 at 09:28, Port Said Red said:

Bringing in youngsters is always a gamble and too many people in football are unwilling to gamble. Best example of that line of thinking is the famous Hanson quote about not winning anything with youngsters.

Maybe Pearson has been forced into it here but he knew the situation before he agreed to come and has been agreeably willing to give youth it's chance even if it is not as successful in points gathering as we and he would like.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Bringing in youngsters is always a gamble and too many people in football are unwilling to gamble. Best example of that line of thinking is the famous Hanson quote about not winning anything with youngsters.

Maybe Pearson has been forced into it here but he knew the situation before he agreed to come and has been agreeably willing to give youth it's chance even if it is not as successful in points gathering as we and he would like.

It`s the one stick you could possibly use to beat Cotts with I guess.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`s the one stick you could possibly use to beat Cotts with I guess.

In fairness he played Joe Bryan over Greg Cunningham, and both Wes Burns and Bobby Reid got opportunities…which was better than we’d had under other managers.

I do get the complaints re not naming a full bench.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2022 at 17:37, Show Me The Money! said:

Just listened to this today and Tinman’s passion for the role really came across.

My only concern with the setup is the jobs for the boys. Micky Bell, Matty Hewlett. Hope they are there on merit and not just because he knows them

Micky is a very very good coach, and essentially got brought in because the standard of coaching in the younger ages at the academy at the time was very bad. Naturally moved up as a result. 

On 01/12/2022 at 22:01, alexukhc said:

Mike Wyatt

I had close dealings with Mike and was gutted he didn’t break through - Decent ability , pace to burn and was an absolute diamond of a lad who wanted to learn and would always listen and give it %100

Such a nice lad , that he possibly didn’t push on was he was actually too nice and lacked any ego or any edge 

Would have been perfect in the modern counter attack game

• Robin 1

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

I had close dealings with Mike and was gutted he didn’t break through - Decent ability , pace to burn and was an absolute diamond of a lad who wanted to learn and would always listen and give it %100

Such a nice lad , that he possibly didn’t push on was he was actually too nice and lacked any ego or any edge 

Would have been perfect in the modern counter attack game

Its a shame that some very talented young footballers fall inexplicably by the wayside. I've seen enough in my times supporting City. I have come to the conclusion that the major talent needed to make a league Pro is Guts and Determination rather than ball skills etc.

PS, I saw the debut at Molyneux of Wyatt and Hewlett.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

Its a shame that some very talented young footballers fall inexplicably by the wayside. I've seen enough in my times supporting City. I have come to the conclusion that the major talent needed to make a league Pro is Guts and Determination rather than ball skills etc.

PS, I saw the debut at Molyneux of Wyatt and Hewlett.

From what I’ve seen , there’s an obvious requirement of technical ability at whatever level but then there’s a combination of levels of attitude/ confidence / football intelligence / ability to learn that builds into a ‘mentality’ that takes players to different levels 

In the same group Jason Fowler had oodles of ability but lacked that killer instinct , Paul Milsom was a fantastic lad who would run through brick walls but hit a technical ceiling and didn’t quite have the ability to push on sadly.

Micky Mellon stood out as a player and went on to have a decent career

We’ve had some fantastic talents over the years , the Browns and the Plummers for example that looked to have the potential  to play as high as they desired , but fell by the wayside for a variety of reasons