IGNORED

Dan Bentley to Wolves - Confirmed

weepywall

1 minute ago, citywest30 said:

Depends on what stats you use. Sure I read a stat saying this season for us he was averaging more than 2 goals conceded per game yet since Max came in it has gone to lower than 1.5.

Not sure if I was a Wolves fan, I'd be excited about him. Those stats aren't exactly Championship standard let alone Prem.

Yeh this season he's been poorer, although still with an ok save% of 65%. I was referring more to his general history at this level, which until about a year ago was top ten material. I should have clarified.

1 minute ago, Dredd said:

I would expect us to get in a replacement until the end of the season but if we did go for one of the youngsters on the bench, the rules on goalkeepers for emergency loans are pretty forgiving I believe

Luckily none of ours have played any first team games.

image.png

2 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

Depends on what stats you use. Sure I read a stat saying this season for us he was averaging more than 2 goals conceded per game yet since Max came in it has gone to lower than 1.5.

Not sure if I was a Wolves fan, I'd be excited about him. Those stats aren't exactly Championship standard let alone Prem.

Those stats wouldn’t just be the keeper , it’s the whole team defending better . A keeper alone doesn’t just keep the ball out of the net . 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Cost cutting and not signing a contract are to sides of the same coin. We can no longer offer the wages he wants in his contract.

Honestly this is potentially some very good relegation preparation by Wolves. Sign a cheap experienced Championship goalkeeper with stats in the top ten of keepers in the division. Simultaneously send your young lad on loan to the Championship. Then if you go down and have to sell your current main man you've got a ready made no.1 and a no.2 who's already cut his teeth. 

Nice little fee and when saving for us. Win win.

No chance Wolves are getting relegated.

My guess is he will get an 18-month contract, probably on more than he is on here and will be back-up.

Good move all round, although I am very much in the ‘not sure’ camp on Max.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Could we try to get Collins in from Barnsley, ie bring forward summer plans.  He’s OOC, we can likely offer him a better deal.  Or is a a short term fix as Bajic becomes the bona fide no2 next season.

Collins is no longer out of contract. Barnsley triggered a one year extension yesterday.

He would have been my choice, as I think he is a very good keeper at this level.

I think Johansson (Rotherham) might be approaching the end of his contract. He’s another I have been impressed with. Highest shot % in the division I believe.

Someone like Gillespie (Newcastle) might be a reasonable option on a short term deal.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh this season he's been poorer, although still with an ok save% of 65%. I was referring more to his general history at this level, which until about a year ago was top ten material. I should have clarified.

From Wyscout data:

image.thumb.png.af9adc68e1e8c169b241238156238e59.png

Top left pic:

Max concedes less goals than his xG says he should ✅

Bents concedes more than his xG ?

You can see from the red lines (average across all GKs in the Champ) that Max is doing better

Top right pic:

Our defence has conceded less shots with Max in goal and he saves around 70% of them ✅

We concede more shots with Bents and he saves a a lower percentage (64%) ?

Bottom left pic:

Long passes: not a lot in it, Bents edges it

Bottom middle pic:

Short / Medium passes: Bents does less but far more accurate ✅ than Max ?.  Max might distribute a bit quicker though

Bottom right pic:

Max comes for more aerial duels and claims / punches more ✅ than Bents ?

Personally I think teams think that can put lots of balls on top of Max, but I think he’s shown he can handle it.

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Those stats wouldn’t just be the keeper , it’s the whole team defending better . A keeper alone doesn’t just keep the ball out of the net . 

I feel the defence feels more assured in front of Max.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’ve never understood this one… I think he is in the top 5 at the club for important players and he is on 14k apparently, which is less than wells, weinman James kalas etc and not that high for a quality championship keeper.   Something has always smelt not quite right with him coming out of the team and almost forcing him out… I’m thinking there is a clause in his contract giving him a substantial pay rise after a certain number of games … that is the only thing that would make sense of this situ 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Collins is no longer out of contract. Barnsley triggered a one year extension yesterday.

He would have been my choice, as I think he is a very good keeper at this level.

I think Johansson (Rotherham) might be approaching the end of his contract. He’s another I have been impressed with. Highest shot % in the division I believe.

Someone like Gillespie (Newcastle) might be a reasonable option on a short term deal.

Ah, yeah, you did mention that yesterday didn’t you?

Johansson has extended in the past week.

4 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

I’ve never understood this one… I think he is in the top 5 at the club for important players and he is on 14k apparently, which is less than wells, weinman James kalas etc and not that high for a quality championship keeper.   Something has always smelt not quite right with him coming out of the team and almost forcing him out… I’m thinking there is a clause in his contract giving him a substantial pay rise after a certain number of games … that is the only thing that would make sense of this situ 

I doubt Wells and Weimann are on more than him with their latest contracts!  James I’ve got no idea.

I honestly don’t think there is anything more sinister than he wants a bigger contract than we can afford, and he lost his place and his junior has taken his chance.

2 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

The fee was agreed at the level to offset the remaining amortisation-he had 6 months left on a 4 year deal. So given we signed him for £2m that's a £250k fee received.

Where has that fee come from?  I speculated it might be somewhere in that ballpark, but no ITK from me!

1 minute ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

If we had money, or got money from a Semenyo sale, then Cooper at Plymouth would be incredible. Appreciate he’s out of our league as things stand.

That’s the kind of thinking we need.  Just because we sell a striker doesn’t mean we can’t use the money in other positions. ??

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agreed, defending is more than just the keeper but the stats improved when the keeper changed. The players in front of him were largely the same.

Edited by citywest30
Being more specific.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I doubt Wells and Weimann are on more than him with their latest contracts!  James I’ve got no idea.

I honestly don’t think there is anything more sinister than he wants a bigger contract than we can afford, and he lost his place and his junior has taken his chance.

Where has that fee come from?  I speculated it might be somewhere in that ballpark, but no ITK from me!

That’s the kind of thinking we need.  Just because we sell a striker doesn’t mean we can’t use the money in other positions. ??

Common sense fevs

29 minutes ago, Hittheginger said:

Isn't Dean Gerken on the staff already as a coach? Get him registered like Chelsea did with Cech when he was their technical director

I think the story ended up being that he’s running some coaching school / programme and was in “helping out” / demonstrating but isn’t part of our men’s or women’s coaching staff.  Happy to be corrected. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I think the story ended up being that he’s running some coaching school / programme and was in “helping out” / demonstrating but isn’t part of our men’s or women’s coaching staff.  Happy to be corrected. 

Doesn’t help that he retired from Colchester due to injury and barely being able to kick a ball

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Still think he should be Number 1 here, wasn't long ago he was player of the season

28 minutes ago, One Team said:

Is that what’s happened here, I’ve lost track TBH? Didn’t know if this was a Pearson falling out or not signing a contract problem.

Is it really down to that or has Max overtaken Bentley as a keeper? Bentley only seemed to go long for distribution whereas O’Leary can mix it up, also O’Leary seems better at claiming crosses

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Wish Bents well, be interesting to see who we bring in as cover for Max and although we likely won’t know would be interesting to know what the fee is.

https://www.molineux.news/news/wolves-transfer-news-dan-bentley-to-sign-for-wolves-with-matija-sarkic-heading-to-stoke/

Must have a keeper lined up then if we're letting Bents go

• Like 3

I seem to remember Pearson saying that we may look to move forward some targets so to speak. You would guess this means getting players in who are probably out of contract in the summer.  3 and half year deals rather than 3 year deals etc.  It just needs a few players due to leave in the summer to go out the door.  Bentley, Martin and Klose are clearly the leading candidates.  If Bentley is sold for a fee covering his amortisation and we save on wages for the other 2 then we will have reduced our outgoings for the rest of this season by about £1 million.  That would create space for 2 decent signings on decent wages and with smallish fees.  Something like £1 to £2 million in fees spread over 3 and a half years,  2 lots of £12k per week. And all without having to sell Semenyo this January.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1