IGNORED

Dan Bentley to Wolves - Confirmed

weepywall

16 minutes ago, FabledRobin said:

A keeper that should’ve been on our radar since his Notts County days

Always remember him from the 3-2 win at Ipswich, he threw one into the net & didn’t do much better with Paterson’s goal, either.

Might have been a one off, of course.

• Like 1

I really hope Bentley gets a loan move, for his sake as much as ours. I think the club's approach is the right one, in that he was in poor form when he was dropped, he is likely to be on a salary well above what we'd now want to pay and we need to find out whether O'Leary can be number one or not. 

However I also do think he is our best keeper and, whilst inconsistent, he's demonstrated a considerably better level of performance at his best than O'Leary has to date. I also don't think he's done a huge amount wrong - he had a couple of poor performances but I don't think they would have warranted dropping him were his contract situation different. I support the club's approach as I think it better for us in the long-term but I think he is a victim of circumstances as much as anything and it's obviously in his interests as much as ours for him to go somewhere where he can play. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

On 11/01/2023 at 13:11, AshtonRobin21 said:

Just tried doing a stats check on Bentleys time with us, I got the following:

142 appearances (all comps)

30 clean sheets

188 goals conceded.

Just for comparison, over the same time period:

Bartosz Bialkowski (Millwall)

154 appearances

51 clean sheets

161 goals conceded.

It may not seem like a huge difference from a statistical perspective. But it highlights the small margins that make the difference in this division. 

Millwall aren’t a team that score lots of goals, but their stable defence and keeper are what makes them a top half team each year.

Absolutely agree. I’d rather have a tight defence right now than free flowing 3-3 draws or 4-2 defeats week in week out. If we can tighten up in January we will finish comfortably mid table.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nigel-pearson-dan-bentley-future-8024192

He didn't deny Stoke's interest in Bentley but questioned whether they will receive an offer in the region of what they were looking for.

When asked if they would consider moving on the club captain should a serious offer come in, he replied: "It all depends on what you call a serious offer.

"You would be very, very surprised by what clubs deem to be reasonable offers. We will only move players if it’s in our interest to do it or if we feel it’s a fair situation.”

Pearson was wary about leaving his goalkeeper department short should they sanction the move. While O'Leary looks nailed on to keep the No1 shirt, Bajic's lack of experience despite his impressive form for the Under-21s could prove problematic. Will Buse and Harvey Wiles-Richards are also out on loan.

“What we don’t want to do is leave ourselves short either,”

35 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Pearson talking in riddles again. 

So, we are prepared to let him go if the price is right. 
But we have to be careful not to leave ourselves short. 

But we’re prepared to leave ourselves short if we get a good enough offer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I really hope Bentley gets a loan move, for his sake as much as ours. I think the club's approach is the right one, in that he was in poor form when he was dropped, he is likely to be on a salary well above what we'd now want to pay and we need to find out whether O'Leary can be number one or not. 

However I also do think he is our best keeper and, whilst inconsistent, he's demonstrated a considerably better level of performance at his best than O'Leary has to date. I also don't think he's done a huge amount wrong - he had a couple of poor performances but I don't think they would have warranted dropping him were his contract situation different. I support the club's approach as I think it better for us in the long-term but I think he is a victim of circumstances as much as anything and it's obviously in his interests as much as ours for him to go somewhere where he can play. 

I’m not sure, that Birmingham display was shambolic, a keeper has to be better than that for the reported money he’s on 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

But if the offer is good enough then we have room to add to the squad and therefore not be left short? That doesn't seem too complicated? 

Yep pretty clear as @Percy Pig says.

If you want him, pay what we're after, otherwise do one, he'll sit on our bench.

If Pearson came out and said "Dan's not going to play for us again unless everyone else is struck down with a virus" or something which implies we're not that fussed now, then any potential offer is going to be well short of what we would be prepared to accept.

By saying we're not going to let him go and leave us with no/fewer backup(s), you may as well be saying "you can have him for nothing".

Edited by Taz

Our Player Of The Season not long time ago, so in normal circumstances I would have no doubts about keeping him and playing him instead of Max. However, our situation is really complicated at the moment, so difficult choices are required: with three goalkeepers available and the short lenght of his contract, I see the logic in this potential move...

Edited by Dan Robin

3 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

But if the offer is good enough then we have room to add to the squad and therefore not be left short? That doesn't seem too complicated? 

So if we get a good offer for Bentley and we let him go, you think we’ll be signing another goalkeeper? 
We already signed his replacement; Bajic. 
If he’s not ready to be the number 2 in February why would he be ready by August?
We knew Bentley would be leaving this summer, so Bajic is already in the building to be the number 2. 
Can’t see us signing another keeper even if we got £5m for Bentley! 
Ergo - Pearson talking in riddles. “We want him to leave, but we don’t want to be left short, unless we get a good offer”. What a load of baloney. 
We need the money, we need to release the wages. Do the deal and trust in your own recruitment of Bajic to be your number 2 keeper. 

• Like 1

On 12/01/2023 at 03:28, GrahamC said:

Always remember him from the 3-2 win at Ipswich, he threw one into the net & didn’t do much better with Paterson’s goal, either.

Might have been a one off, of course.

Pretty sure that season I saw him have a fair few shockers. Being at Millwall with a strong defence in front of him helps a lot 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I think Bentley has been an excellent servant to us these last few years and earned us many, many more points than he’s cost us.

I think this’ll be a “don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone” moment. 

I think he’s plenty good enough for this level too (don’t think the Millwall keeper is any better) but if as several have heard, his wage demands for another contract are as high as is rumoured, there was always going to be a parting of the ways this summer.

Certainly is a leap of faith to go with Max, I reckon we will activate his contract extension clause but still not certain he’s our long term number one.

Bajic is currently a complete unknown so no way of knowing yet where he features in it all, but was signed for his potential.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I think he’s plenty good enough for this level too (don’t think the Millwall keeper is any better) but if as several have heard, his wage demands for another contract are as high as is rumoured, there was always going to be a parting of the ways this summer.

Certainly is a leap of faith to go with Max, I reckon we will activate his contract extension clause but still not certain he’s our long term number one.

Bajic is currently a complete unknown so no way of knowing yet where he features in it all, but was signed for his potential.

Think this is a classic example of where finances and football conflict.

Essentially the rumours are that Bentley wants a better contract than the one he signed pre-Covid.  We can’t afford it, there appears to be no middle ground.  At the same time Bentley’s form dipped and allowed O’Leary an opportunity (who imho has always been a perfect no2) and he has shown enough improvement in his overall game to make the selection decision less cut and tried than previously.  In fact based on this season’s form, I’d happily argue that O’Leary is the right choice as no1 currently.  The evidence is there.

I’m not disputing that I think Bentley is the better keeper over their comparable careers, but it’s about the relative here and now.  Bentley’s levels have dropped (in his overall game), O’Leary’s have improved.  One is on the decline, the other is on the up.

If money was no object, we’d probably we continuing letting them fight for the no1 spot, but the financial dynamic complicates it.  Tough decisions required.  Someone seems prepared to make that decision (Tins, Nige, RG).  Especially in light of the fact that it could allow us to strengthen the squad in other positions.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think but could he wrong Iversen maybe their 1st choice (Neil had him at Preston so that is familiarity). Whether he's feasible is a different issue. Iversen 1st, Bentley 2nd choice wise maybe? However the door is suddenly slightly ajar and they kept that one quiet...there was no speculation of a move there IIRC.

They have Bonham, but he really is a no2…suggests they need a no1, which of course Bentley would fit (as would others).  Iverson was one of the best GK’s in the champ last season.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Harry said:

I wouldn't say riddles, more like keeping his cards close to his chest.

Seems a sensible approach to me....

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They have Bonham, but he really is a no2…suggests they need a no1, which of course Bentley would fit (as would others).  Iverson was one of the best GK’s in the champ last season.

Plus mad Frankie Fielding of course, but think he’s only at Stoke because of the Holden connection & unlikely to do anything now beyond occasional appearances on the bench.

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It will be if O'Leary and Bajic are seen as our future. Dear god. 

Too early to form any real impression re Bajic, but he has played a few games (9) in Ligue 1 for St. Etienne & has been In French national age group squads.

This is Max’s big opportunity, he’s 26, has been in Championship squads for us getting on for 200 times & is out of contract this summer (though we do hold an extension clause), so pretty much now or never for him in terms of his career in BS3.

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Too early to form any real impression re Bajic, but he has played a few games (9) in Ligue 1 for St. Etienne & has been In French national age group squads.

This is Max’s big opportunity, he’s 26, has been in Championship squads for us getting on for 200 times & is out of contract this summer (though we do hold an extension clause), so pretty much now or never for him in terms of his career in BS3.

…and I think he’s grasping / grasped the opportunity.  He looks like he feels he should be there, not just until Bentley inevitably comes back in.

• Like 6