IGNORED

Dan Bentley to Wolves - Confirmed

weepywall

He’s just turned 21 for gods sake, that’s one helluva rant, for someone any of us have barely seen. He’s played in Ligue 1 and Ligue 2. He’s been capped at age group for France, been part of their Olympic (u23) squad. He won’t be a mug based on that. Will he do well here?  Who knows, but most people would be a bit less “judge now” about someone so young for his position with his background. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I doubt Cisse 'stumbled' across Bajic, he's reasonably well known.

Stumbled it was, I'm afraid

He was at some conference. It just came up in conversation - "We need a keeper, anyone got one?"

Someone said, yeah. And sold him a plum. Or possibly not. 

We'll see. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s just turned 21 for gods sake, that’s one helluva rant, for someone any of us have barely seen. He’s played in Ligue 1 and Ligue 2. He’s been capped at age group for France, been part of their Olympic (u23) squad. He won’t be a mug based on that. Will he do well here?  Who knows, but most people would be a bit less “judge now” about someone so young for his position with his background. 

It's called debate. Opinion. On a forum for debate and opinion. Wind yer neck in. 

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Stumbled it was, I'm afraid

He was at some conference. It just came up in conversation - "We need a keeper, anyone got one?"

Someone said, yeah. And sold him a plum. Or possibly not. 

We'll see. 

Quite probably stumbled…although maybe TransferRoom overselling their “product” in the article we all saw. It’s pretty likely that Cisse aware, especially as he was the man assigned to go and build relationships with Ligue 1 teams last season.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

What’s he supposed to say? 
Well, nothing contradictory. 
We’ve already made it clear we’re willing to talk to clubs about him. It’s no secret. 
Why then begin to pretend that “we don’t wanna leave ourselves short”. Well, if you don’t wanna leave yourself short don’t get rid. 
But you know you wanna get rid so therefore you know you’ll be short. Plus you already signed his replacement. 
It’s just nonsense. 
If we get a satisfactory offer, he’s gone. No more to it than that. Don’t start lining up excuses that “we’ll be short” if he goes. 

Rearrange this well known phrase or saying 

With bone a dog a 

Max isn't championship standard, he continues to flap away at a cross per game and has let in some absolute howlers.

However - if we don't play Bentley there is no competition.

Bajic is reckless.

Some of his 'highlights' from France were a train wreck - his 'coming out for a cross' often resembled a demolition derby - and that's if he got anywhere near the ball.

But (as always) - his instincts were spot on. He just needs to 'grow up' a bit - as in mature and keep calmer.

The ability is there - it's just covered in 'puppy dog' excitement - see ball - get ball.

In time - he will be one hell of a keeper.

But not here, not now.

We need a proven goalkeeper - a 3rd choice from the Prem maybe - for the remainder of this season and next, with Max as #2 if he wants to stay and fight again.

Bajic out on loan to Div 3 where he WILL play - and assess next season.

He's got something about him Bajic - I reckon he will come good.

If we can find the money for a new keeper - well that's the question - I'm guessing that's what NP is alluding to.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Max isn't championship standard, he continues to flap away at a cross per game and has let in some absolute howlers.

He has let in a couple of dodgy ones, the WBA opener springs to mind. 

But, I can’t agree about flapping at crosses. To be honest, I feel much calmer with Max there, when defending corners and free kicks around our box, than I ever did with Bentley. DB is constantly glued to his line. 

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

And the post you're responding to was a counter argument to your opinion, you know... debate. 

Why is it always the people who want to shut down debate and can't handle people thinking differently to them who invoke "it's called debate" or "its free speech"? Apply your own rules to yourself, you'll come across a hell of a lot less childish. 

Now my necks all unwound. Ffs. 

The response dismissed my opinion as a "rant".

When in fact, it's an opinion based on - in no particular order - having seen him play, who he's previously played for, at what level, how we came across him, the likelihood of unearthing the next Hugo Lloris and so on.

That's what I was responding to. And not in an attempt to shut down debate. Ffs indeed.  

35 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The response dismissed my opinion as a "rant".

When in fact, it's an opinion based on - in no particular order - having seen him play, who he's previously played for, at what level, how we came across him, the likelihood of unearthing the next Hugo Lloris and so on.

That's what I was responding to. And not in an attempt to shut down debate. Ffs indeed.  

I said it’s one helluva rant (and contextually added) for someone we’ve barely seen.

If you’d expressed the same opinion on a Palmer, Massengo, Paterson, I wouldn’t have called it a rant.  Appreciate rant wasn’t the right word, but one game opinions just seems a bit weird (again wrong word) when we look back at someone like Matt Smith and the reaction he got.

2 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Rearrange this well known phrase or saying 

With bone a dog a 

Not really. If people keep disagreeing with me then I will raise the point again. 
Just because it’s the same point, makes it no less relevant. 

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

With respect, it was a bit of a withering and dismissive rant of a player I'd heard of before signing. For a bloke from Bristol to have heard of a French second division player means he must have something of a reputation as a talented player. 

But you know, you do you. I don't tend to write off players based on their height and one first team game, however unimpressed I was with his first 20 mins. Nerves, a mismatched team in front of him and his first competitive action in months all seem like reasonable excuses to not completely write a 21 year old as a "lemon", "plum" and "dud". 

"Who knows if Kalifa's been sold a lemon... Good luck to the lad (Bajic) though"

"And sold him a plum. Or possibly not. We'll see"

If you're going to quote me, do it correctly. You'll have to show me where I said "dud", btw. 

And why would you think I'm writing him off on the basis of his height and 1 first team appearance, when I've already listed the actual reasons that, combined, mean I'm forming the opinion he's not our long term no.1? Why would you think that - with respect?

Yes, I've said in this thread my personal preference is for a tall keeper, one with some presence, another Maenpaa in an ideal world. Whilst also accepting we've had decent keepers in the past who've hardly been giants, such as Basso. Guess what, I then said "Fingers crossed Bajic turns out to be another Basso".

So how about reading the whole thread before throwing around words like dismissive and childish? With respect. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

3 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

However - if we don't play Bentley there is no competition.

Bajic is reckless.

Some of his 'highlights' from France were a train wreck - his 'coming out for a cross' often resembled a demolition derby - and that's if he got anywhere near the ball.

But (as always) - his instincts were spot on. He just needs to 'grow up' a bit - as in mature and keep calmer.

The ability is there - it's just covered in 'puppy dog' excitement - see ball - get ball.

In time - he will be one hell of a keeper.

But not here, not now.

We need a proven goalkeeper - a 3rd choice from the Prem maybe - for the remainder of this season and next, with Max as #2 if he wants to stay and fight again.

Bajic out on loan to Div 3 where he WILL play - and assess next season.

He's got something about him Bajic - I reckon he will come good.

If we can find the money for a new keeper - well that's the question - I'm guessing that's what NP is alluding to.

How is this hard to follow?

Max on exposed form isn't a reliable champ keeper. Too many blunders. Not convinced about holding crosses.

Bajic ain't ready - go look up his clips of French football.

Bentley seems to be off elsewhere.

We need a stopgap until Max or Bajic  is reliable enough to be a genuine #1 Championship quality keeper.

Do you guys think Max is a genuine Championship #1?

Genuine question.

1 minute ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Do you guys think Max is a genuine Championship #1?

Genuine question.

Yes, for where we are at the mo’…a bottom half (or worse) team.  When we come out of cost-cutting mode and start to move into improving the squad mode, I’m sure if his game hasn’t improved from being a regular, then we might need to replace.  It’s a bit of a compromise I’m afraid.  There’s always room to improve the squad though.

Boy would I like to go and get Iverson from Leicester, that’s a keeper to go 5-8 years with, but we aren’t in that game at the mo’.

Walton (currently at Ipswich) would’ve been a good recruit at the time we signed Bentley.

I really like Cooper at Plymouth, but he’s out of our price range.

I’d like to see Max with a couple of dominant CBs in front of him too.  I honestly think we are seeing a more decisive Max this season than we’ve ever seen before.  I used to worry when he played, now I’m comfy.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, for where we are at the mo’…a bottom half (or worse) team.  When we come out of cost-cutting mode and start to move into improving the squad mode, I’m sure if his game hasn’t improved from being a regular, then we might need to replace.  It’s a bit of a compromise I’m afraid.  There’s always room to improve the squad though.

Boy would I like to go and get Iverson from Leicester, that’s a keeper to go 5-8 years with, but we aren’t in that game at the mo’.

Walton (currently at Ipswich) would’ve been a good recruit at the time we signed Bentley.

I really like Cooper at Plymouth, but he’s out of our price range.

I’d like to see Max with a couple of dominant CBs in front of him too.  I honestly think we are seeing a more decisive Max this season than we’ve ever seen before.  I used to worry when he played, now I’m comfy.

You see much more of him than me Dave - I respect your opinion on that. However in the 8 or 9 complete games I have seen - there is always a calamity lurking IMHO.

Oh well.

I'm sure we both agree Bajic is not ready - and won't be until he calms down a bit. Those clips from France - HooBoy!

I'm probably writing too fast to check I get my point across, whilst adding stock to my ebay store...but it's already 33c at 12.30pm - heading for a top of 39c

The aircon is getting a workout!

Edited by The Constant Rabbit

5 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yeah, 1 game!

Against Northern Ireland.

You make him sound like the next Hugo Lloris. Or that bald **** Perez. Which he ain't. 

He's played virtually all his career in the French second division - all of 40 games in 5 years, mind Wow. What's the standard of the French 2nd Division, you reckon?

And we signed him from a football club no-one's heard of, in a town where rugby union rules the roost. 

So "very highly rated" by whom, exactly?

He's a punt. A punt Cisse stumbled across while networking - who knows if Kalifa's been sold a lemon or the next....yeah, I can't think of any other decent French keepers either. 

Good luck to the lad, though. He might turn out better than O'Leary. The bar's not exactly high. 

Apologies late to the party but this is such a strange post to me.

Bajic has not spent 5 years in the French 2nd tier he has just spent half a season and even if he had we brought in Kodjia from a team in the same league and he turned out to be a huge success.

He is also 21 years old which is incredibly young for a keeper so has many years to grow, and you seem to be writing him off already for some strange reason.

I’ll admit O’Leary was not good enough last season when he came in but he looks a much improved keeper this year, especially with collecting crosses something Bentley has always struggled with. For me he’s more than good enough right now.

1v1s is the only attribute I see Bentley as being  better at, and O’Leary isn’t too bad at those either.

1 hour ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

I'm sure we both agree Bajic is not ready - and won't be until he calms down a bit. Those clips from France - HooBoy!

It was probably me that clipped those videos in the first place.  Far too easy to clip saves, I prefer a warts n all view!  Like Hong Kong Phooey coming out wasn’t he?  He’s got good reflexes and agility, but a lot still to hone / mature.

I saw a lovely highlights reel of Atkinson before he signed.  I watched the nit so good stuff too.  Gives you a better balance of his Ability.  I’ve seen how he has cut out those errors he was making at Oxford.  He’s improving.

I saw a lovely highlights reel of Tanner too.  I watched the not so good stuff too, there was loads of it…some of it quite harrowing .  He has really improved.  Further forward than I’d thought he would be after a injury hampered first season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It was probably me that clipped those videos in the first place.  Far too easy to clip saves, I prefer a warts n all view!  Like Hong Kong Phooey coming out wasn’t he?  He’s got good reflexes and agility, but a lot still to hone / mature.

I saw a lovely highlights reel of Atkinson before he signed.  I watched the nit so good stuff too.  Gives you a better balance of his Ability.  I’ve seen how he has cut out those errors he was making at Oxford.  He’s improving.

I saw a lovely highlights reel of Tanner too.  I watched the not so good stuff too, there was loads of it…some of it quite harrowing .  He has really improved.  Further forward than I’d thought he would be after a injury hampered first season.

More like Desperate Dan mate

Right it's hit 40c (104f)

I'm pulling up stumps and quitting ebay stuff in my man-cave and off to recline with a good book. It's too damn hot, even with air-con to keep listing stuff online.

Later Dave, I'm sure there will be plenty to talk about after today - not least the Tolpuddle Martyrs heading down from the Three Lions!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

"Who knows if Kalifa's been sold a lemon... Good luck to the lad (Bajic) though"

"And sold him a plum. Or possibly not. We'll see"

If you're going to quote me, do it correctly. You'll have to show me where I said "dud", btw. 

And why would you think I'm writing him off on the basis of his height and 1 first team appearance, when I've already listed the actual reasons that, combined, mean I'm forming the opinion he's not our long term no.1? Why would you think that - with respect?

Yes, I've said in this thread my personal preference is for a tall keeper, one with some presence, another Maenpaa in an ideal world. Whilst also accepting we've had decent keepers in the past who've hardly been giants, such as Basso. Guess what, I then said "Fingers crossed Bajic turns out to be another Basso".

So how about reading the whole thread before throwing around words like dismissive and childish? With respect. 

Maenpaa 1.90 metres

Bajic 1.91 metres

So there's that for a start

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Maenpaa 1.90 metres

Bajic 1.91 metres

So there's that for a start

Read the whole thread or at least make the effort to read the previous page.

You'll find the relevant info there.

Why believe some stat on a website when you can check for yourself - find the 9 mins highlights of the Lincoln cup game and pause it at 6 mins 47

Andy King is 6 feet tall btw.

Or maybe you think Bajic is pretty much the same height as Klose, Atkinson and Low who played in front of him that night? He's not. 

32 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Read the whole thread or at least make the effort to read the previous page.

You'll find the relevant info there.

Why believe some stat on a website when you can check for yourself - find the 9 mins highlights of the Lincoln cup game and pause it at 6 mins 47

Andy King is 6 feet tall btw.

Or maybe you think Bajic is pretty much the same height as Klose, Atkinson and Low who played in front of him that night? He's not. 

At the risk of sounding like the United Nations here, can I say the following;

No way is Bajic as tall as Maenpaa let alone taller than him.

He’s considerably taller than Sinclair was though, he wasn’t 6ft.

I have been told by someone who should know that he’s 6ft 1 or thereabouts, so broadly the same as Max, shorter than Bentley & in modern goalkeeper terms a bit on the shorter side.

As for his career to have played 9 games in Ligue 1 before he was 20 is a decent pedigree, though St. Etienne were in a crisis at the time, from which they still haven’t recovered.

The Pau move was a bit odd, but maybe he saw it as an opportunity to play first team football & make an impression & earn a decent move.

I’m certainly not writing him off, if we had signed a 21 year old who had played 9 games for Wolves & then 15 on loan at say Tranmere, I think we’d be ok with that.

If he’s on the bench because Bentley moves on I can see why, we’ve had Wiles-Richards on the bench 7 times now & based on his career he appears an upgrade on him.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I have been told by someone who should know that he’s 6ft 1 or thereabouts, so broadly the same as Max, shorter than Bentley & in modern goalkeeper terms a bit on the shorter side.

As for his career to have played 9 games in Ligue 1 before he was 20 is a decent pedigree, though St. Etienne were in a crisis at the time, from which they still haven’t recovered.

The Pau move was a bit odd, but maybe he saw it as an opportunity to play first team football & make an impression & earn a decent move.

I’m certainly not writing him off, if we had signed a 21 year old who had played 9 games for Wolves & then 15 on loan at say Tranmere, I think we’d be ok with that.

If he’s on the bench because Bentley moves on I can see why, we’ve had Wiles-Richards on the bench 7 times now & based on his career he appears an upgrade on him.

Mike Gibson was very short and was a magnificent goal keeper.  Even the current England 'keeper is fairly short.  Have faith!

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes - Ronnie Sinclair was unfair.

It was just intended to make the point that - a personal preference, no more - I'm not keen on short keepers. 

59 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes - Ronnie Sinclair was unfair.

It was just intended to make the point that - a personal preference, no more - I'm not keen on short keepers. 

Although we might be in slightly opposite sides of the Bajic opinion, I much prefer a good big’un to a good littl’un.

image.png.c1b519b1de1043c8876806316b592386.png

Now, firstly I know the camera does lie, but even with some caveats I think Bents is taller than Bajic.  In this photo that is clear, although Bents is “long body, short legged proportions” so a seated position will make him look more taller than Bajic than perhaps he is.

if I was guessing I’d say Bajic is 6’1, Bents and Max 6’2 / 6’3”.  I’ve stood next to both of them and they are taller than me…I’m 6’1 (used to be 6’2 but the shrinking / posture has changed that with age).

Having sat in section A8 last Sunday:

image.thumb.png.18d16128b8a6260ddfeab1007c05e208.png

You can see he’s much taller than Max And Bents!

???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Although we might be in slightly opposite sides of the Bajic opinion, I much prefer a good big’un to a good littl’un.

image.png.c1b519b1de1043c8876806316b592386.png

Now, firstly I know the camera does lie, but even with some caveats I think Bents is taller than Bajic.  In this photo that is clear, although Bents is “long body, short legged proportions” so a seated position will make him look more taller than Bajic than perhaps he is.

if I was guessing I’d say Bajic is 6’1, Bents and Max 6’2 / 6’3”.  I’ve stood next to both of them and they are taller than me…I’m 6’1 (used to be 6’2 but the shrinking / posture has changed that with age).

Having sat in section A8 last Sunday:

image.thumb.png.18d16128b8a6260ddfeab1007c05e208.png

You can see he’s much taller than Max And Bents!

???

Levitating Criss Angel GIF by DefyTV

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely the best, the pisstake of the Speed film with the milk float & the Richard Wilson one, genius.

I always liked the Father Ted is a racist one. It's a strange thing that all Graham Lineham's shows have been slow growers with me. I dipped in and out of FT, Black Books and IT Crowd, until one by one they suddenly clicked with me. 

• Like 3