IGNORED

Dan Bentley to Wolves - Confirmed

weepywall

• The title was changed to Dan Bentley to Wolves - Confirmed
10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t know if you’ve ever been to Wolverhampton but I’m not particularly surprised by this news.

DB: Right, so it's off to Wolverhampon we go, my darling

DB's mrs: It's off to Wolverhampton YOU go, I like Long Ashton

:laugh:

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sturny said:

Strange how he was great all the way upto NP was appointed, wonder if he didn't get on with the coaching or something. Started making a fair few mistakes. 

I remember Bentley bailed us out loads during Holden era.

Imagine he was an above average earner here, could open the door for a loan before the window closes 

No really he didn't we were dropping like a stone, and I'm surprised he wasn't injured everyone else was. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

No really he didn't we were dropping like a stone, and I'm surprised he wasn't injured everyone else was. 

I remember a few times he did great last minute saves to secure us some of those rare points that season, which were crucial near the end. 

"We were dropping like a stone" is pretty harsh to put that on his door considering the amount of shite he had infront of him 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I remember a few times he did great last minute saves to secure us some of those rare points that season, which were crucial near the end. 

"We were dropping like a stone" is pretty harsh to put that on his door considering the amount of shite he had infront of him 

I didn't put that on his door, I'm just not overly romanticising about a keeper who does not want to be here.  He's a good keeper that's for sure but he wasn't single handedly keeping us up we were plummeting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

I wish him nothing but success at Wolves. Not long ago he was player of the season here and produced some brilliant performances. A character in the dressing room and was always honest in his interviews. 

He'll be a good backup for Wolves.

Agreed, always liked Bents. Think he got too much praise at times (future England keeper apparently!) and too much criticism as well. In all he's up there with one of the better keepers we've had in my time watching City and seems a decent bloke too.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I didn't put that on his door, I'm just not overly romanticising about a keeper who does not want to be here.  He's a good keeper that's for sure but he wasn't single handedly keeping us up we were plummeting. 

But that's quite literally my point, he saved us crucial and rare points when we were plummeting, with his hands.... I worry to think how much worse it could've been if we didn't have a decent shot stopper under Holden. He was one of the small number that season who weren't shambles. The amount of shots/crosses he faced was ridiculous. 

I dont think there's anything wrong with showing appreciation for a player who's left. You sound bitter over it. 

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Sturny said:

But that's quite literally my point, he saved us crucial and rare points when we were plummeting, with his hands.... I worry to think how much worse it could've been if we didn't have a decent shot stopper under Holden. He was one of the small number that season who weren't shambles. The amount of shots/crosses he faced was ridiculous. 

I dont think there's anything wrong with showing appreciation for a player who's left. You sound bitter over it. 

Not at all.

1) I wish him well.  

2) he's a decent stopper. 

3) we can't afford his wages so he's moved to someone who can. 

I don't blame anyone for him moving, I simply think that season with the injuries we had and coaching we were saved by firing Holden at the right time and bringing in Pearson to steady the ship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Agreed, always liked Bents. Think he got too much praise at times (future England keeper apparently!) and too much criticism as well. In all he's up there with one of the better keepers we've had in my time watching City and seems a decent bloke too.

That’s my view too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

I think that was part of the problem here tbh. He was way overworked as you say and add the captaincy to that and you can see it affected him in the end. We were seeing less of his obvious shot stopping ability and teams were loading him with crosses that he wasn’t dealing with and the goals conceded alone proved that Nige was right to pull him out when he did. He needed a move elsewhere to benefit his game imo.

• Like 1

I think Bentley was an exceptional shot stopper, one of the best we've had. I do think we played worse as a team with him in goal though due to the fact he was not great at playing out from the back. So I will miss the exceptional saves, but I don't think Max is that much of a downgrade in that regard, and I think we play better overall with him in the team. 

Right move all round IMO.

On 30/12/2022 at 20:17, italian dave said:

I’m going to be devil’s advocate. I just don’t get it to be honest.

If a club signs a player on a 3 year contract, does that mean they’ll simply write off the final 25% of that contract - simply because a player chooses to honour that contract and no more. 

Why should players be expected to do more than that if they don’t want to? Clubs most certainly don’t reciprocate: they treat players like commodities, trading, loaning out, releasing at the end of every contract whenever it suits. 

It just seems like a ludicrous position to be in, where you’ve got a decent player who’s willing to honour his contract and the club chooses to leave that player out - potentially at the cost of points and success on the field, just because they won’t sign a new contract. It smacks of spite and throwing toys out of the pram to me. 

Just to be clear: I’m not saying this with any specific individuals in mind, I’m not suggesting that players shouldn’t still earn their place, I get the potential issue with players heads being elsewhere, I get all that….but all things being equal why get all huffy and refuse to play a player simply because they’re in the final year of the contract both parties agreed? 

For me, I think it should depend on the state of the season and what the aim is for the season. 

For example, thinking purely about matters on the pitch; if we are playing consistently well with a settled squad and a realistic chance of promotion or playoffs (or pulling steadily away from danger at the other end of the table) then keep the player in the select 11 because it's obviously working and we won't want to break it by 'tinkering'. However, if we are in mid-table 'mediocrity' with no realistic chance of promotion, playoffs or relegation - or if the wantaway player's performance isn't really outstanding, then I would drop him and give someone who intends to stay with the club some competitive game time to see if they can make the step up longer term - considering it's the NEW player that I'd be working with next season, not the old one.
For me that's nothing to do with toys or prams - it's good management future planning, so we can go into next season with the new boy already 'bloodied' in the first team.

There are, of course other factors OFF the pitch at play, which could affect the selection of said player, aside from his performance on the pitch. Covering for injuries or bans for example, or IF there has been a fall-out then you don't want that player contaminating the dressing room - bad apples and all that. Also, aside from the football, there could be financial considerations and the board might be putting pressure on the manager to play a wantaway player against his (the manager's) professional judgement in order to keep the player in the 'shop window' to hopefully get some money back for him.

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Spelling

16 hours ago, Clevedon Red said:

FWIW his family are staying put in Long Ashton.

Had a feeling this would be a contribution to him jumping at the chance. It’s not like he’s signed for Leeds or someone and it’s a real uprooter, albeit not ideal can commute to wolves each day pretty easily - considering how settled him & his fiancée/kids seem to be