IGNORED

Dan Bentley to Wolves - Confirmed

weepywall

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Makes his debut in the Prem today at Old Trafford, best of luck to him.

Wow, some game to get thrown into, especially with United coming off back to back losses. 

It'll be interesting.

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Name checked by his boss. Well done Bents.

AFE0594B-55A5-41C6-8E96-E3F36611E9F6.jpeg

Spoke to a friend of mine who is a Man Utd season ticket holder and does actually go - said Bentley had a good game , kept wolves in the game second half and looked a decent keeper 

I don't think anyone ever questioned his shot-stopping, his issue was his lack of coming for the ball on crosses and after watching the match today the one thing United didn't do enough was cross into the areas that Bentley struggles with, if anything United did him a favour today and made him look a lot better than his overall game is. I'd be interested to see how he does against some of the more cross-focused teams in the Premier League but it was nice to see him making some saves again.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, milo1111 said:

Fair play bents. All the best to him.

However, his signing and wage for us was another classic over indulgence of the Swiss -LJ axis 

Yes, it was very simple. We have been cutting costs to avoid points deductions but Bentley was in a position where he did not have to cut his wages to benefit the club because he knew he could get similar or more money elsewhere. Rightly so, he's got family to think of. No doubt some complete and utter rocket scientist on Twitter is questioning why we let Bentley go and played O'Leary though.........

• Like 1

Think it became a double edged sword of Bentley gradually losing confidence and then his defence losing confidence in him.

He’s a decent keeper, but as soon as confidence is lost, you need a change of scenery.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Quite surreal to watch Bentley on Match of the Day tonight.

Didn’t look out of place either, some really good saves.. to be fair to him he was always a quality shot stopper, his distribution was his main weakness IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think it became a double edged sword of Bentley gradually losing confidence and then his defence losing confidence in him.

He’s a decent keeper, but as soon as confidence is lost, you need a change of scenery.

Totally agree Dave, once the confidence goes as a keeper it’s the beginning of the end really. 

The Wolves move was a bit of an odd one for me though, Bentley didn’t ever strike me as a keeper that would be happy to settle as a number 2. I would imagine he is on a decent contract at Wolves (possibly better wages than he was on here) so it could just be for purely financial reason that he made the switch. 

• Like 1

As much as max deserved his run in the first team, and letting Bentley go to free up wages made sense, I can’t help but think we would of picked up a few more points if we still had Dan. Max distribution has got worse since he’s secured the number 1 spot, few mistakes.
He needs some competition next year for the jersey. Bentley was immense today for wolves, enjoyed watching that 

• Like 2

If Bentley had played badly yesterday, which we know he’s capable of, then the mood would be ‘right to let him go, he’s past his best’.  It’s just one game. Three very good saves though albeit he would probably expect to make two of them. Fine line between good save and keepers fault if he doesn’t save it 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Just watching him on MOTD now.  He had a good game. Few saves in there I don’t think Max would’ve made.

He had a great game but he had to go for financial reasons both on a personal level (he had no need to accept a Nakhi style pay cut) and for the easing of our FFFP situation.

On the flip side of making the saves there are occasions when Max comes for crosses that Bentley never did in the latter end of his time here (probably confidence issue as others have said) and at our level one evens out the other imo. Man Utd weren’t pumping balls into the box like many sides at our level do.

Definitely need to get another Championship ready keeper in and have real competition next season though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

The stats prove absolutely unequivocally that this would not have been the case.

It’s not an argument you can easily make in any event unless a keeper is literally costing you points left right and centre. Bentley was great yesterday, their best performer no doubt, but Wolves still earned zero points.

• Like 1