IGNORED

Lee Tomlin

spudski

He's either doing it just because he really loves to play or he is skint. I was watching the big match revisited the other day and was surprised to see players playing in second and even third division matches that had once been very famous top flight internationals like Nobby Stiles and Bobby Charlton who were playing for Preston who were then in the old third division, nowadays players even in the Championship are payed so much that unless they are daft with money they don't have to drop down the divisions as they get older and if they do on the rare occasion it's because of their love of the game not because they have to, another thing players in the 60s and 70s did when they finished playing was open a sports shop, can you imagine that happening today? 

Edited by pillred
Punctuation.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Not with that swing ?

Indeed, not great is it.  You’ll probably know as well as anyone that in sport you can get to a certain level of proficiency, (in golf maybe low single figures) but attaining the next level is beyond reach.

Julian Dicks tried it too.  A bridge too far.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed, not great is it.  You’ll probably know as well as anyone that in sport you can get to a certain level of proficiency, (in golf maybe low single figures) but attaining the next level is beyond reach.

Julian Dicks tried it too.  A bridge too far.

Exactly that.

There are many excellent low/plus figure amateur golfers, that would never make a living playing golf. Best route for a decent player is becoming a Club Pro. Not a tour player. 

No chance of him ever turning Pro. I think he's keen as mustard, but delusional. 

To make it in the game, you would need to be young and in the plus handicap range. 

Perhaps he sees an income from his YouTube channel ?

Sadly he hasn't got the personality or the looks of Paige Spiranac ❤️ 

You mention Julian Dicks...he wasn't bad, but far from Pro quality. I remember watching him closely when he was playing in the group in front of me during a Pro Am at the Oxfordshire. 

• Like 1

Got as much chance making it as a sprinter as making it as a golf pro. I’ve played with players who used to the on the European Tour but could hardly make a living.  I think some people believe that if you play off +1 you are close to being a pro but really you are still a long way off. I’m sure Bale said he wants to be a pro as well.  Good luck to these guys but it won’t happen 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Got as much chance making it as a sprinter as making it as a golf pro. I’ve played with players who used to the on the European Tour but could hardly make a living.  I think some people believe that if you play off +1 you are close to being a pro but really you are still a long way off. I’m sure Bale said he wants to be a pro as well.  Good luck to these guys but it won’t happen 

Totally agree.

I think Lee Sharpe turned ' Pro' recently, but not Pro in the truest sense. He's even got his own golf clothing range sold at American Golf.

I think there is a Pro Celebrity tour he maybe playing on. Not sure. 

It's 'Pro' by name only...as playing for money, but by invite, rather than your golfing ability and qualifying. 

Like you say... There are many ' tour players', that struggle to make a living. 

As a teenager I got offered an Assistant Pros job at a local Club. It's my only regret that I didn't take it, as I know, from later experience, that I could have become a good teaching Pro, rather than a touring Pro. But back then didn't have the internet and knowledge that we have now. Selling kit Kat's all day in the shop for £50 a week didn't seem a good career move at the time :laugh:. Little did I know the opportunities afforded once qualified. 

Both my cousin's were Pros in Florida. Far better golfers than me, but both gave up because they struggled to make ends meet. I always remember one of them telling me he had a six foot put to pay his mortgage that month...now that's pressure.

Like you, I have had the pleasure of playing with some world class tour players in Pro Ams. Their ability is off the scale compared to Amateurs of a low plus handicap. 

Bale and Tomlin have no chance if they want to qualify and pit there wits in the Seniors tour...but as ' Celebrities' I'm sure there is an opportunity to play for fun.

• Like 2

I don't think I would have enjoyed being a pro golfer or tennis player or any other individual sport.

Endless travelling on your own, table for 1 in the evenings, maybe 2 if your coach or caddy was there, but potentially a miserable life if your game was struggling.

Team sports - much better, you might have the odd person you didn't get on with but otherwise you win and lose together and all the time away from base can be more fun.

42 minutes ago, spudski said:

Both my cousin's were Pros in Florida. Far better golfers than me, but both gave up because they struggled to make ends meet. I always remember one of them telling me he had a six foot put to pay his mortgage that month...now that's pressure.

I once told a story about a pro golfer who said he didn’t make it because he couldn’t putt under pressure and a friend of his said surely he could teach himself to make those putts.  And so it started.  And it became a bit of a circus act, where he’d bet people that he could make a 6 foot putt anywhere.  The final one was on the Golden Gate Bridge, where if he didn’t make it, he’d jump off.  He made it!

Now, I don’t know if that story is true, but I tried googling it and ended up finding this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/40412105

and wonder if the story had become exaggerated from the above?

Paul Trevillion was the artist who drew “you are the ref” that appeared in Shoot back in the day.

10FF5119-5187-4A47-B820-0C1D2850035A.webp.ff225a7e14be9146a534743c03e21a21.webp

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I once told a story about a pro golfer who said he didn’t make it because he couldn’t putt under pressure and a friend of his said surely he could teach himself to make those putts.  And so it started.  And it became a bit of a circus act, where he’d bet people that he could make a 6 foot putt anywhere.  The final one was on the Golden Gate Bridge, where if he didn’t make it, he’d jump off.  He made it!

Now, I don’t know if that story is true, but I tried googling it and ended up finding this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/40412105

and wonder if the story had become exaggerated from the above?

Paul Trevillion was the artist who drew “you are the ref” that appeared in Shoot back in the day.

10FF5119-5187-4A47-B820-0C1D2850035A.webp.ff225a7e14be9146a534743c03e21a21.webp

I remember Paul Trevillion the artist, but not his putting method.

When it comes to golf, it's so individual. You can ingrain the basics that are proven to work. However, we are all built differently, and those basics need to be tweeted to fit in with your natural body movement, biomechanics etc.

Once fully drilled and ingrained, the biggest influence on whether you do well or not is your mind, your mental strength, the ability to block things out. 

When players start mucking around with different putters, different grips etc, it's invariably their mind playing up.

Look at Tiger as an example, pretty much kept the same putter shape and grip throughout his career. In saying that...he has been hypnotised.

You need to be able to read the green, have touch and feel...which I've always thought how incredibly amazing our brain and body can work together to such fine margins. 

Personally I found having a basic grip that was comfortable, natural in feel, that enabled me to hold without moving my wrists, then just rock my shoulders like a pendulum. Less moving parts the better.

In saying that...look how Jack Nicklaus putted. More moving parts than a Swiss watch :laugh:

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I remember Paul Trevillion the artist, but not his putting method.

When it comes to golf, it's so individual. You can ingrain the basics that are proven to work. However, we are all built differently, and those basics need to be tweeted to fit in with your natural body movement, biomechanics etc.

Once fully drilled and ingrained, the biggest influence on whether you do well or not is your mind, your mental strength, the ability to block things out. 

When players start mucking around with different putters, different grips etc, it's invariably their mind playing up.

Look at Tiger as an example, pretty much kept the same putter shape and grip throughout his career. In saying that...he has been hypnotised.

You need to be able to read the green, have touch and feel...which I've always thought how incredibly amazing our brain and body can work together to such fine margins. 

Personally I found having a basic grip that was comfortable, natural in feel, that enabled me to hold without moving my wrists, then just rock my shoulders like a pendulum. Less moving parts the better.

In saying that...look how Jack Nicklaus putted. More moving parts than a Swiss watch :laugh:

I am more ‘ ave’it’ . 

• Haha 1

On 02/12/2022 at 22:02, spudski said:

Exactly that.

There are many excellent low/plus figure amateur golfers, that would never make a living playing golf. Best route for a decent player is becoming a Club Pro. Not a tour player. 

No chance of him ever turning Pro. I think he's keen as mustard, but delusional. 

To make it in the game, you would need to be young and in the plus handicap range. 

Perhaps he sees an income from his YouTube channel ?

Sadly he hasn't got the personality or the looks of Paige Spiranac ❤️ 

You mention Julian Dicks...he wasn't bad, but far from Pro quality. I remember watching him closely when he was playing in the group in front of me during a Pro Am at the Oxfordshire. 

Not particulary inspiring was it :disapointed2se:

• Like 1