IGNORED

Pele - very sad news

Lanterne Rouge

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The great man has been in hospital for a few days and it has just been announced that he has been moved to end-of-life palliative care as his bowel cancer has spread and is no longer responding to treatment.

Sounds awful. I hope he can pull through but fear the worst.

Only one way out from that I’m afraid if true,obviously a great player for Brazil sadly before my time so can’t reminisce how good he was 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Only one way out from that I’m afraid if true,obviously a great player for Brazil sadly before my time so can’t reminisce how good he was 

He was so much further ahead than anyone else at that time, he paved the way for Cruyff and the others. My lasting memory of him was the 70 World Cup, I am still amazed at how he could dominate a game almost at walking pace.

• Like 3

Just now, Port Said Red said:

He was so much further ahead than anyone else at that time, he paved the way for Cruyff and the others. My lasting memory of him was the 70 World Cup, I am still amazed at how he could dominate a game almost at walking pace.

Isn’t that what messi is doing at this World Cup,special players can do that 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Swede said:

That is very sad news.

In my view he is the Greatest Football player ever. That 1970 Brazil team will live on forever.

It was always the debate in my teens about who was best, Pele or Maradonna.

The debate often found opinions around the 50-50 mark.

No debate however on who was the good guy, and who was the bad.

• Like 8

Pele is receiving palliative care according to the BBC. 

He was the best player in the world for all of his career and arguably the GOAT, only the cheating shit Maradonna and Messi have come close to that claim.

As a schoolboy in the late 60s I remember Pele in the 1970 WC actually shooting from just inside own half but the ball went wide. He’d seen the keeper off his line………………things like that never ever happened back then.

He’ll be a sad loss to football 

• Like 4

Incredibly sad news. For many, especially those of a certain generation, he was and will remain the greatest player ever to have played the game. His star has always been in the acendency not just for his footballing talent but also for his modesty and especially his sportsmanship. Like a number of his generation such as Beckenbauer, Eusebio and our own Bobby Charlton a great ambassador for the sport we all Iove. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Incredibly sad news. For many, especially those of a certain generation, he was and will remain the greatest player ever to have played the game. His star has always been in the acendency not just for his footballing talent but also for his modesty and especially his sportsmanship. Like a number of his generation such as Beckenbauer, Eusebio and our own Bobby Charlton a great ambassador for the sport we all Iove. 

Sadly not a lot of that generation are still with us watching Eusebio and the likes

• Like 1

The best ever? I think so. I can just about remember him when he went to the MLS towards the end of his career and he was still incredible.

I would suggest Brazilian football wouldn't be anywhere near where it is without Pele.

Ironically, the best Brazil side IMHO didn't include Pele. Was the '82 side better than the '70 side? ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

The best ever? I think so. I can just about remember him when he went to the MLS towards the end of his career and he was still incredible.

I would suggest Brazilian football wouldn't be anywhere near where it is without Pele.

Ironically, the best Brazil side IMHO didn't include Pele. Was the '82 side better than the '70 side? ?

Not sure you are right about brazilian football not being what it was for Pele but the 82 side was diamond 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Literally kicked out of the 66 world cup.

An all time great and a gent from a previous generation.

Correct. After bursting onto the scene in the 58 WC and starring again in 62, opponents learnt Stop Pele, you stop Brazil. By 1970 however, others had come through the ranks to give him support.

It was reported the other day that Pele has been seen entering a hospital, but he told reporters "This is just my monthly check up". If it's terminal, he is still trying not to disappoint fans.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`s going to be horrible if he passes during this World Cup, particularly for the Brazil team. It would also, somehow, be strangely fitting if the man who lit up so many tournaments were to go during one.

I wonder if it is ironic, but equally fitting timing that this tournament was later than usual but coincides potentially with his passing 

I wonder what the chances are for the renaming of the World Cup Trophy? 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

51 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Literally kicked out of the 66 world cup.

An all time great and a gent from a previous generation.

It was the Koreans at Goodison Pk that targeted him. Back then the referees took no action at all and Pele got carried off injured - that was seen as normal back then.

Edited by Robbored

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

It was always the debate in my teens about who was best, Pele or Maradonna.

The debate often found opinions around the 50-50 mark.

No debate however on who was the good guy, and who was the bad.

Not sure I can get on board with that looking at his Wikipedia but I guess everyone is human and there is no all good and all bad

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I had the pleasure of watching him play for Santos in a friendly at Plymouth in 1973. He was so good.

It's such sad news...so many icons I grew up with are passing away...I guess it comes with age, but it's getting to feel like no one will be left soon. It's certainly an odd feeling.

My mother recently went through the same experience. Palliative care and bowel cancer. Such a drawn out horrible disease. You wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy or those associated with them. 

I can only feel for him and his family. Until you experience it, it just doesn't really hit home how awful it is. 

You were so lucky to see him play. I had a signed Pele programme from when Santos played Fulham the same year as the Plymouth game you saw in 1973. Wish I hadn't sold it now.

Some huge crowds attended to watch Santos and some shenanigans.

Nice article here 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/14/the-forgotten-story-of-pele-and-the-santos-touring-circus

• Like 2