IGNORED

Rotherham United away match thread

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ref deserves credit. Very consistent and good decision making thru the 90. 

Maybe better than usual (no penalty claims, etc.), but he still ignored many fouls - included 2 or 3 nasty ones - on our players and gave us more yellow cards despite doing less - and lighter - fouls than them.

Anyway, the most important thing is that we got a win and favourable results in the other matches.

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Boro got an injury time goal unfortunately.

Glad Stoke didn’t come to us off of a win, so them and a Cardiff both dropping points was good too.

Agreed regarding Stoke.

With respect to Boro. I don’t think they’ll be in a relegation battle but I’ve got a feeling that Luton will be having lost Nathan Jones. Based on that today may be a decent result for us. 

Glad Stoke didn’t come to us off of a win, so them and a Cardiff both dropping points was good too.

Agreed regarding Stoke.

With respect to Boro. I don’t think they’ll be in a relegation battle but I’ve got a feeling that Luton will be having lost Nathan Jones. Based on that today may be a decent result for us. 

Agreed regarding Stoke.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, redkev said:

How did tanner play today , very few mentions of him . 

Got to admit I haven’t critiqued the goal we conceded, which points to Tanner…but in overall play, he was so effective and efficient, he barely got mentioned.  He kept everything simple, made one very good tackle on edge of our box.

Just now, aa_bcfc said:

Agreed regarding Stoke.

Was thinking similarly.

Agreed regarding Stoke.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Got to admit I haven’t critiqued the goal we conceded, which points to Tanner…but in overall play, he was so effective and efficient, he barely got mentioned.  He kept everything simple, made one very good tackle on edge of our box.

Was thinking similarly.

I personally think Tanner may well be a very very decent member of our team moving forward 

45 minutes ago, Offside said:

Very happy with the win today. I feared we’d sluggish after the break and struggle to get a result, but that’s three extremely welcome points. 

And it’s the kind of place we struggle too, so very welcome.

Just now, Jerseybean said:

Full time scenes: https://fb.watch/hkDIGqkP1r/

AF89F88D-38E6-4B54-B76F-AB6C20ABE9D3.jpeg

Let’s hope now he’s popped he can’t stop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He’s improved on the ball…and he likes to defend.  Needs to keep progressing.

Reckon if we ever play rovers again he would be our Ian Alexander , would be a good bet to get a red in a derby I reckon .and I mean a proper derby not a sever side one 

Edited by redkev
4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Crazy. Thirteen points cover 3rd to 23rd at all but half way, Normally if we had 27 points with half the season left you wouldn`t be worried in the slightest - this season!

We’re on the same number of points as we were after this number of games last season, difference is that last season we were 7 points above the bottom 3 and 2 of the teams in the relegation zone were practically cut adrift.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

We’re on the same number of points as we were after this number of games last season, difference is that last season we were 7 points above the bottom 3 and 2 of the teams in the relegation zone were practically cut adrift.

It’s tight, no doubt.. although this season after the same number of games we’ve scored 6 more goals and conceded 2 less. Also interesting to see that Readibg have scored 6 less than us and conceded the same amount yet are 1 point off of the top 6.

to be on a par with last season after 30 games, we need to pick up 7 more points, score 9 more goals and concede another 22 in our next 8 matches.. hopefully we can better than that?

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Maybe but had we outplayed, the likes of Sheffield Utd, Watford, Swansea, Norwich and QPR, all genuine promotion candidates. The rest of this season looks a lot brighter than the second half of last looked this time last year.

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Maybe but had we outplayed, the likes of Sheffield Utd, Watford, Swansea, Norwich and QPR, all genuine promotion candidates. The rest of this season looks a lot brighter than the second half of last looked this time last year.

I agree, I was comparing how tight the whole division is this year as opposed last season at this stage. It’s good to outplay the teams that you mention but we need to pick up more than 2 points from 15 in those games otherwise we can easily be dragged into the bottom 3. 

Hopefully we can start collecting the points that many of our performances deserve and yesterday was a great win against a tricky opponent at a ground we’ve rarely had any joy so I’m chuffed.

COYR

• Like 2

Reflecting on the match (I don’t get to many away games), the 3 points were the most important feature (pre match we were only a point off a relegation spot and we have historically not done well after an international break).

O’Leary looks as though he could be first choice keeper for some time, though his kicking could do with improvement- which I’m sure will happen).

in defence I thought that Naismith as left CB was a great success as his not being in the middle means we are less likely to have the odd suicidal pass to which he has been prone earlier in the season.  He can still coach others and he made numerous intelligent passes forward to prompt attacks. Importantly his playing in his current position also ensures he’s on the pitch so he can deliver those fabulous crosses from set pieces which makes him so stand out.

To summarise, Naismith suits left CB, however that didn’t prevent the soft equaliser where it seemed obvious that we missed that Flint like commanding CB who wins all headers in the 6 yard box.

In attack, Conway & Wells looked excellent as usual, they have a great understanding. What I found intriguing was that when Sam Bell came on late as sub he looked like he had electric pace and was full of confidence. I’d like to see more of him (especially as my previous views of him where when he played out of position in a defensive role).

We deserved that win and I was impressed at how we handled the last few minutes with good game management which was so effective that by the end of the match, the home stands were virtually empty. Semenyo played a good part in that.

Our midfield with Scott always looking like the class player that he is, was decent.

Whilst I’m not sure if Tanner is a natural CB, one assumes Nige sees that potential & is coaching him. I think he’s going to be a very decent right back or wing back & he has a bright future.

Pring also has a bright future & his crossing is decent - and he took his goal very well which must improve his confidence.

The older experienced heads helped too of course.

Having been disappointed so many times I the past watching City lose away, it was great to see such a well deserved win after an international break, with several of our youngsters showing that they have very good futures.

The biggest downside was that due to the weather deteriorating I drove back home instead of staying with family overnight  & witnessed such a depressing experience on TV when I got home. In the Championship it’s not uncommon to feel that the outcome of a match was determined by poor refereeing decisions - but the number of bad decisions from the ref in England’s match was so disappointing. It’s unusual to have such a poor ref for an international. (Sorry for the digression- great day for City, shit time for England supporters)

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

Poor game but a wins a win away from home.

I like Max as number one. Bentley is a good keeper but I feel safer with Max in between the sticks.

Makeshift defense did well. I like Tanner as a RCB. With good coaching and experience I feel he could be a very good player in that position. Both him and Naismith offer a better dynamic there, especially in games where Tanner is allowed to get forward. I felt King did OK at CB but clearly not his position. Surprised NP didn’t play Atkinson. A dominant CB alongside Naismith and Tanner (or Zak) would see us improve massively so the sooner Kalas is back the better.

Midfield worked hard but couldn’t keep the ball for decent spells. The shape and positioning just hasn’t looked right in the middle of the park all season. I can’t work out if it’s tactical or just bad positioning but I lose count every game on the amount of times there’s players with the ball and nobody is showing. Scott is special though, that was some cross for Pring.

Love Nakhi and Tommy up front. Tommy is fearless, especially when running at players.

Overall an impressive win when you consider the break, illness and injuries.

8 minutes ago, Kolsch said:

Midfield worked hard but couldn’t keep the ball for decent spells. The shape and positioning just hasn’t looked right in the middle of the park all season. I can’t work out if it’s tactical or just bad positioning but I lose count every game on the amount of times there’s players with the ball and nobody is showing. Scott is special though, that was some cross for Pring.

Love Nakhi and Tommy up front. Tommy is fearless, especially when running at players.

I think last season we needed all three of Weimann, Semenyo and Martin…but it left us exposed with only two natural midfielders.

I think Wells and Conway as a pair allow you to “sacrifice” the no10 (Weimann) and play three in midfield.  Yesterday our three (Williams, James and Scott) had a funny afternoon.

James rarely got on the ball to give us a bit of short passing continuity, but he rarely was out of position in screening our back three.  I think Rotherham’s 3421, with the mobility of Rathbone and Wiles meant they could get around him and stop him having any real influence in our possession.  Sometimes you have to accept the opposition will counter the way we want to play, but it left Naismith and Tanner a bit more free.

Scott had a quiet first half, and looked a bit frustrated at times, but came into it second half.  Super technique to control the miscued clearance and strike towards goal, forcing a good save from their keeper, which ultimately led to the short corner and his cross for Pring to put us 3-1 up.

Williams I thought was the pick of the three, but sometimes gave up possession a bit too easily.  Good to see him getting in the box and scoring again (his second of the season - his best scoring season on his career!!!), but it was the ground he covered yesterday that was a big factor.  I’m sure we will still need to manage his hamstring to an extent, but I see no reason why he can go back to back more often for the rest of the season.

I don’t think any of them excelled yesterday, but none of them played poorly either.

But with Conway and Wells who were our best two players yesterday imho, the three in midfield give us a much better balance.  I can see Wells staying next season.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
12 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

The division is massively competitive.  Someone will get relegated who are probably currently thinking about the play offs.  A poor 8 to 10 game run and you move from 6th to 20th.  Someone like Reading or QPR spring to mind. Similarly, someone is capable of sticking a run together and challenging (West Brom?).  We need to concentrate on being consistent and we will be fine.  

• Like 3

Thought I’d look back at the goal we conceded. Lot of blame apportioned to Tanner, so I thought I’d see if that was the case or not.

Pic 1:

Three on three, King closest to Ogbene, Naismith trying to cover near post area, so not sure who is really marking Wiles, Tanner in touch with Rathbone, the deepest of the Millers three.

17AC0167-F69E-4B39-9382-D96A75EED616.thumb.jpeg.e1407e1babfe0021e9155d17a38b89df.jpeg

Pic2:

Pretty much the same set up, Scott and James sensing a bit of danger.

B17EC89B-370D-4C60-9EB5-09E50309BE5C.thumb.jpeg.613450237ed8fb27e348e4f7361d5297.jpeg

Pic3:

Norton-Cuffy has stolen half a yard on Pring.  Ogbene has peeled off the back of King. Naismith now totally focussed on cutting out near post.  King no idea where Ogbene is and more interested in Wiles, although it’s Rathbone who starts to drive towards near post.  James trying to get to Rathbone.  Scott hasn’t really moved.

B2BBBEA2-BF3D-4C41-80EA-D5B876ABBF3C.thumb.jpeg.d89d1134cded94c979b7043539682ce9.jpeg

Pic4:

Really tight call for offside!  Ogbene unmarked.

8512BC47-4305-4412-B776-3CEEF18C1977.thumb.jpeg.ab775d02ebb180db489824e2f334b271.jpeg

Pic5:

Pring deflects the cross, looping it to back post.  Ogbene heads easily into the goal.

610AD2E4-B66B-42D3-A00F-C28465A589EC.thumb.jpeg.6b1f49b2fe2c35338777ffac4d4830e5.jpeg

My summary is that at no real point were Ogbene, Wiles and Rathbone marked.  Naismith probably excluded from any real blame, as he had a role to cover near post.  Tanner and King guilty imho. Besides that, both had decent games.

13 minutes ago, The Bard said:

The division is massively competitive.  Someone will get relegated who are probably currently thinking about the play offs.  A poor 8 to 10 game run and you move from 6th to 20th.  Someone like Reading or QPR spring to mind. Similarly, someone is capable of sticking a run together and challenging (West Brom?).  We need to concentrate on being consistent and we will be fine.  

2 down at home to Burnley, Beale gone, they need to sort themselves out quickly…with Jan window coming up.

Thought I’d look back at the goal we conceded. Lot of blame apportioned to Tanner, so I thought I’d see if that was the case or not.

Pic 1:

Three on three, King closest to Ogbene, Naismith trying to cover near post area, so not sure who is really marking Wiles, Tanner in touch with Rathbone, the deepest of the Millers three.

17AC0167-F69E-4B39-9382-D96A75EED616.thumb.jpeg.e1407e1babfe0021e9155d17a38b89df.jpeg

Pic2:

Pretty much the same set up, Scott and James sensing a bit of danger.

B17EC89B-370D-4C60-9EB5-09E50309BE5C.thumb.jpeg.613450237ed8fb27e348e4f7361d5297.jpeg

Pic3:

Norton-Cuffy has stolen half a yard on Pring.  Ogbene has peeled off the back of King. Naismith now totally focussed on cutting out near post.  King no idea where Ogbene is and more interested in Wiles, although it’s Rathbone who starts to drive towards near post.  James trying to get to Rathbone.  Scott hasn’t really moved.

B2BBBEA2-BF3D-4C41-80EA-D5B876ABBF3C.thumb.jpeg.d89d1134cded94c979b7043539682ce9.jpeg

Pic4:

Really tight call for offside!  Ogbene unmarked.

8512BC47-4305-4412-B776-3CEEF18C1977.thumb.jpeg.ab775d02ebb180db489824e2f334b271.jpeg

Pic5:

Pring deflects the cross, looping it to back post.  Ogbene heads easily into the goal.

610AD2E4-B66B-42D3-A00F-C28465A589EC.thumb.jpeg.6b1f49b2fe2c35338777ffac4d4830e5.jpeg

My summary is that at no real point were Ogbene, Wiles and Rathbone marked.  Naismith probably excluded from any real blame, as he had a role to cover near post.  Tanner and King guilty imho. Besides that, both had decent games.

At the time I didn’t realise that the cross got that deflection…just looked like a really good cross. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

But with Conway and Wells who were our best two players yesterday imho, the three in midfield give us a much better balance.  I can see Wells staying next season.

I'd agre that we'd be silly not to offer him a contract if we retain Championship status  - just hope that we're close enough to other offers that he can't be arsed to leave.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'd agre that we'd be silly not to offer him a contract if we retain Championship status  - just hope that we're close enough to other offers that he can't be arsed to leave.

7 goals / 5 assists in 1588 mins (17.6 games) is a v.good effort, but the combo with Conway is so important.  33 in June, never injured, and still relatively quick.  Those periods where his touch was often poor, snatching at chances etc, seem a long while ago.

• Like 1