IGNORED

Rotherham United away match thread

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thought I’d look back at the goal we conceded. Lot of blame apportioned to Tanner, so I thought I’d see if that was the case or not.

Pic 1:

Three on three, King closest to Ogbene, Naismith trying to cover near post area, so not sure who is really marking Wiles, Tanner in touch with Rathbone, the deepest of the Millers three.

17AC0167-F69E-4B39-9382-D96A75EED616.thumb.jpeg.e1407e1babfe0021e9155d17a38b89df.jpeg

Pic2:

Pretty much the same set up, Scott and James sensing a bit of danger.

B17EC89B-370D-4C60-9EB5-09E50309BE5C.thumb.jpeg.613450237ed8fb27e348e4f7361d5297.jpeg

Pic3:

Norton-Cuffy has stolen half a yard on Pring.  Ogbene has peeled off the back of King. Naismith now totally focussed on cutting out near post.  King no idea where Ogbene is and more interested in Wiles, although it’s Rathbone who starts to drive towards near post.  James trying to get to Rathbone.  Scott hasn’t really moved.

B2BBBEA2-BF3D-4C41-80EA-D5B876ABBF3C.thumb.jpeg.d89d1134cded94c979b7043539682ce9.jpeg

Pic4:

Really tight call for offside!  Ogbene unmarked.

8512BC47-4305-4412-B776-3CEEF18C1977.thumb.jpeg.ab775d02ebb180db489824e2f334b271.jpeg

Pic5:

Pring deflects the cross, looping it to back post.  Ogbene heads easily into the goal.

610AD2E4-B66B-42D3-A00F-C28465A589EC.thumb.jpeg.6b1f49b2fe2c35338777ffac4d4830e5.jpeg

My summary is that at no real point were Ogbene, Wiles and Rathbone marked.  Naismith probably excluded from any real blame, as he had a role to cover near post.  Tanner and King guilty imho. Besides that, both had decent games.

Have only seen the goal once, via a post put up on the match day topic, but my initial thought was that Weimann should of been covering around the back, he can see everything in front him. Your snapshots sort of confirm what I thought. I presume he was playing right wing back? Doesn’t sense the danger & caught on his heels a bit. A more defensive player senses that, comes in a few yards & gets their head to it & out it goes for a corner? Great win though. COYR 

Watching the highlights my favourite things are all to do with Scott, the shot to force the corner, the cross for Prings goal, but most of all, the way he set up a chance for Wells in the first half just after we had scored.

To me, that epitomised why we are all do excited by him, determination to win the ball, strength and skill to keep it, then the perfect weighted pass through to Wells, more of that please.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

My impression was that Pring got a slight block on the cross, hence the way the cross looped somewhat and which also meant their striker was played onside? 

An attempted tackle isn’t a controlled attempt to play the ball, therefore doesn’t put Ogbene onside.

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

You just making this up, Dave, or do you actually know the rules (ok, ok: the laws)?

https://www.theifab.com/news/law-11-offside-deliberate-play-guidelines-clarified/

video 12 is as close as example.

The high profile one was the Liverpool player on Real Madrid in CL final, where ball was deflected onto him.

It’s a bit crap in its definition, but thems the rules / laws.  I don’t necessarily agree with them.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Thanks 1
On 11/12/2022 at 09:11, Sir Geoff said:

Maybe but had we outplayed, the likes of Sheffield Utd, Watford, Swansea, Norwich and QPR, all genuine promotion candidates. The rest of this season looks a lot brighter than the second half of last looked this time last year.

Think we definitely deserved more vs Sheffield United, Watford and Norwich.

QPR could have scored a few all told.in the 1st half vs us, Swansea at home maybe maybe not but we seemed to have to absorb more in 2nd.half.

On 11/12/2022 at 11:10, nick jones of hereford said:

by the end of the match, the home stands were virtually empty. Semenyo played a good part in that.

When I first read this my first thought was of Antoine in a stewards fluorescent jacket running up the terracing and shooing Rotherham fans out of the ground!

• Haha 3

Some good alternative angles of key moments as always

Tommys first touch of the pass from Naysmith ....yumm

Pring aware to take a step back to stay onside before his great header for third 

Also noticed Wells talking to TC after the first goal celebrations - passing on some info / advice  - Wood and exposing him one v one ??  Because TCs working of Wood for 2nd is almost identical to that of Wells for the first

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Pring aware to take a step back to stay onside before his great header for third 

Also noticed Wells talking to TC after the first goal celebrations - passing on some info / advice  - Wood and exposing him one v one ??  Because TCs working of Wood for 2nd is almost identical to that of Wells for the first

I just love TC’s enthusiasm. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2
18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Their goal offside!

E546A9BA-25A3-4622-8A7A-BF608CC352E8.thumb.jpeg.e682b2f4b1876499d37adc632cdc0f63.jpeg

Even from the other angle it looks suspicious . Lino has a great position, still gets it wrong. But that's still one better than most I've seen at the Gate, most have been 5/10 yards behind everyone.

2102527919_Screenshot2022-12-12at19_06_29.png.fb572e5714f9134fbcde08e2778e0286.png

1893322774_Screenshot2022-12-12at19_06_51.png.d3d008a8d0bca32c584952c01d44b690.png

As @Lew-T said, just glad it didn't cost us anything.

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Scott stroked the cross in rather than trying to “whip it”.  Still had plenty of pace on it.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Don't have enough info to know that as we cannot see where the ball is

The freeze frame either side of the one I screenshotted was pre and post cross…it’s the closest frame to Norton-Cuffy crossing it and Ogbene is in the same place as my other screenshots from the other angle that 1960maan quoted.  Don’t get me wrong it’s close, it looks offside, but I can see why Lino might not give it when the crosser is so close.  But I bet VAR would have.