IGNORED

City offer Warm Space Refuge

CyderInACan

15 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

It's 2022. It's pathetic that a wealthy nation like ours relies on charity to keep people warm ?

I quite agree. It is a disgrace that things have come to this. However, it’s the right thing to given the grossly inflated price of heating, let alone the homelessness crisis. 

• Like 11

7 hours ago, SecretSam said:

It's 2022. It's pathetic that a wealthy nation like ours relies on charity to keep people warm ?

We're only middlingly wealthy, people mistake our economy being big for it being wealthy.

We are only 26th in the GDP per capita purchasing power index. Malta for one outranks us.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Fair play to the club for doing this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

We're only middlingly wealthy, people mistake our economy being big for it being wealthy.

We are only 26th in the GDP per capita purchasing power index. Malta for one outranks us.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

Fair play to the club for doing this.

Yet the UK has the 4th most millionaires in the world. The money is there it's just not shared out!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

17 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I quite agree. It is a disgrace that things have come to this. However, it’s the right thing to given the grossly inflated price of heating, let alone the homelessness crisis. 

I don't disagree, but we shouldn't need 'warm banks'. And don't get me started on food banks...

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

It just feels like the people who who need help of this kind, would be the last ones to find out.

I hope I’m wrong.

It's in association with St. Mungo's so the relevant agencies will no doubt know what is going on. How that translates to people who've never interacted with these agencies though is probably less clear. It's not been in the Post as far as I can see but it is on Bristol24/7

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/ashton-gate-opens-sports-bar-warm-place/

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

I’m not sure if the homeless people I speak to in town every morning take the Evening Post, as for trying to negotiate the Post online you’d need the Samaritan’s afterwards……..

True - but if this is in conjunction with St Mungos, they will hopefully be trying to reach out to the homeless people they already work with. Great gesture from the club, shame it is needed, as others have already said

• Like 3

20 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Wealth, odd concept. Debt is easier to understand, its that owing to be repaid. 

Every man, woman and child in the UK is indebted to the Government to the tune of £38,500 and rising.

Every man, woman and child in the UK is indebted to cover future public sector pension liabilities to the tune of £30,800 and rising.

Every man, woman and child in the UK is indebted to cover EXISTING public sector PPP/PFI off book liabilities to the tune of £2,800.

Excluding student loans, the average person in the UK is personally indebted to the tune of £33,400 and rising.

So the average UK citizen has unpaid liabilities in excess of £105k. Whilst some have assets to cover their indebtedness the majority do not. My kids and their kids will be expected to carry the burden of debt repayment. Were we truly 'wealthy' I'm not sure we'd be that indebted nor hang that millstone around the necks of future generations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Victory Park Reds said:

Fair play city.The club steps up again just like in Covid.My wife is a teacher in south Bristol and the foundation really help out in her school.

To everyone involved it’s superb stuff.

Sorry Greta but the log burner is on tonight - again

Installed one several years ago…….can’t even afford to buy logs anymore