IGNORED

Alex Scott

wayne allisons tongues

On 18/12/2022 at 17:31, BrizzleRed said:

Really bizarre comment.  

Would be really interested to know what you think HNM actually brings to the side?  

He looked promising when he first came here and was busy and had good energy, but he’s really gone backwards and about the only thing he’s maintained is his ‘massive’ hair!

I can’t think of anything he actually excells in, or adds to the side when he’s on the pitch and is way behind in Alex Scott in terms of end product or potential imho.

Clearly Scott is markedly superior to Massengo but in a central 3 I could see more from him, better suited to a CM 3 etc- energy is more easily exposed in a 2 than a 3 but with the contract situation that debate is probably not.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He is also the joint 2nd highest booked in the League (8 apparently). At what point does benefit outweigh cost etc.

I don't mean to the team, his overall benefit to the team is very clear but in terms of the yellow cards accumulating.

For me, when they start turning into red cards.  As it stands, if he gets to 10 yellows, before game week 38 (which is pretty likely), then I’d treat his one game suspension as a nice little rest game.  That sounds blasé, it probably is, but I would t want him to stop the way he tackles.  He puts pressure on opponents first touch.

32 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

People just look at goals and assist stats. 

Clubs that are scouting him will be looking at passing accuracy, successful dribbles, successful tackles etc etc. 

How's he doing in them stats @Davefevs

F7916BE2-54C3-4113-9AD5-451B3283E4AA.thumb.jpeg.b2ed2ac57bac6473e6b78147838acd9c.jpeg

Stats (League only) as at end of October, so missing the last few games before WC break and after.

To explain, they are percentile ranks for all CMs in the champ, some 190 players have played there this season! Anything to the right of the red line means he is in the top half of players.

32A98CAE-E53B-486E-9C18-2A84E2DDDAC5.thumb.jpeg.672413a1b094827637bf86b5190f4a5b.jpeg

Taking the creative passing section, he is top quarter for number of key passes attempted per 90 mins, not far off the sane for Smart passes, and top third for success.

He passes just below average in terms of into the pen area, but when he does, he’s top 20%.

etc, etc.

For a 19 year old he’s one of the better (better than half the others) creative passers in the Champ.

General passing - about average.

4ECEBE3D-9A9B-4ACF-83B6-3BE2DE2A12C4.thumb.jpeg.0c99d0e6bdcd7f68962caedc429ac82c.jpeg

Winning the ball - not really an alleged strength, but…

D68C02ED-7DFD-4B28-9496-9131C7C50C88.thumb.jpeg.86cb067d6561adeedb9db64fa76518e5.jpeg

…he certainly gets stuck in.  Gets involved in lots of “duels”, doesn’t win as many as he could, but as above I think he makes the player worry when pressed.  I wish I could see how many times a team give up possesion when Scott presses them.

You can do a similar exercise with the other categories too.

Shout if you need anything else explained.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are some facets of his game I want to see him improve at but being 19 he will. It is easy to forget he is a fresh 19(18 at start of season I believe). Yes I’d like to see him take it on his shoulders a bit more often. Yes I’d like his delivery to be more consistent. That all comes with minutes and repetition. The yellow cards are a minor thing we need to deal with. You don’t ask him to tone down the aggression. You let him figure out what he can and can’t get away with. 

• Like 2

I agree about the yellow cards, he needs that aggression and it's brilliant he's been like that from the start. 
What I would add, he is smart enough and aware enough to realise he has to stop a break. He's "taken one for the Team" on more than one occasion. He has also managed his game well enough not to look in danger of a 2nd Yellow, so far.

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’d like his delivery to be more consistent.

Agree again, and it's a funny one. He was put on free kicks from virtually the first minute, and his delivery was very good. Free kicks and corners were dangerous and consistent . Lately he has been erratic , enough so they have haded them off to others. The cross for Pring's goal was back to his early standards , lets hope he can keep it there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Agree that stats are not the be all and end all but if you go up a couple of levels in quality a player like Bellingham, who Scott will no doubt be playing against next season, and is the same age has the stats anyway. It’s a fair comment to say that the next level for Scott to reach over looking a class above in a mediocre side is to add the game changing moments to his armoury. Could be the difference between joining a decent Prem club and a top one and will help us out too.

So Scott creates 10 good chances that don’t get converted by a teammate and then gets criticised for too few assists? It doesn’t make sense.  Comparing him to Bellingham is nonsensical as well. Bellingham is a once in three generations footballer 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

For me, when they start turning into red cards.  As it stands, if he gets to 10 yellows, before game week 38 (which is pretty likely), then I’d treat his one game suspension as a nice little rest game.  That sounds blasé, it probably is, but I would t want him to stop the way he tackles.  He puts pressure on opponents first touch.

F7916BE2-54C3-4113-9AD5-451B3283E4AA.thumb.jpeg.b2ed2ac57bac6473e6b78147838acd9c.jpeg

Stats (League only) as at end of October, so missing the last few games before WC break and after.

To explain, they are percentile ranks for all CMs in the champ, some 190 players have played there this season! Anything to the right of the red line means he is in the top half of players.

32A98CAE-E53B-486E-9C18-2A84E2DDDAC5.thumb.jpeg.672413a1b094827637bf86b5190f4a5b.jpeg

Taking the creative passing section, he is top quarter for number of key passes attempted per 90 mins, not far off the sane for Smart passes, and top third for success.

He passes just below average in terms of into the pen area, but when he does, he’s top 20%.

etc, etc.

For a 19 year old he’s one of the better (better than half the others) creative passers in the Champ.

General passing - about average.

4ECEBE3D-9A9B-4ACF-83B6-3BE2DE2A12C4.thumb.jpeg.0c99d0e6bdcd7f68962caedc429ac82c.jpeg

Winning the ball - not really an alleged strength, but…

D68C02ED-7DFD-4B28-9496-9131C7C50C88.thumb.jpeg.86cb067d6561adeedb9db64fa76518e5.jpeg

…he certainly gets stuck in.  Gets involved in lots of “duels”, doesn’t win as many as he could, but as above I think he makes the player worry when pressed.  I wish I could see how many times a team give up possesion when Scott presses them.

You can do a similar exercise with the other categories too.

Shout if you need anything else explained.

10 yellows I thought was a 2 match ban. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

So Scott creates 10 good chances that don’t get converted by a teammate and then gets criticised for too few assists? It doesn’t make sense.  Comparing him to Bellingham is nonsensical as well. Bellingham is a once in three generations footballer 

You’re being deliberately contrary. No point discussing it with you.

Scott is an insane talent but I do think the club need to settle on how they are going to develop him, like he can beat a player and he can panic defenders but when he plays in the middle we don't give him the ball in a central role, or more to the point he drifts wide to get the ball because we always go down the wings. If I was Pearson I'd be saying "OK we're going to keep hitting the wings BUT if the wings are being defended well get the ball back and then push it into the middle where Scott is!" and adding to Scott "Stay central,  don't come wide to receive the ball, be the option in the middle and allow the midfielders behind you to act as that link.
If Pearson could get Scott to stay central, get him the ball and encourage him to run at defenders it would cause real panic and in having him beating a man in the middle it would force defenders to come to him to close down which would free up a striker.

Scott has a few major abilities, he's incredible at winning free kicks but as above, he's winning them in wider areas rather than in a real danger zone, if he were to stay central and we signed a direct free kick taker I think we'd bag a fair few goals that way and at the very least make the opposition afraid to tackle him and free strikers up.

On top of his ability to win free kicks he's got a good pass on him, he's got fantastic control of the ball, he's always looking to receive a pass unlike some of our midfielders who seem scared to get the ball. What Scott needs is two midfielder's behind him who can actually be trusted to do the defensive work and get him the ball, instead we have James who struggles to transition from defence to attack quickly and Williams who just seems afraid to get involved sometimes. Massengo is a better option if developed but I think it's clear that he's done with us, he's just running down his contract so why would we play him over players who are willing and wanting to play for us.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You’re being deliberately contrary. No point discussing it with you.

I think Scott is a phenomenal player already good enough for the Premier League. Is that a contrary view? Enjoy him whilst he’s here. Bringing Bellingham into the discussion doesn’t make any sense to me. Maybe I’ve misunderstood. 

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Clearly Scott is markedly superior to Massengo but in a central 3 I could see more from him, better suited to a CM 3 etc- energy is more easily exposed in a 2 than a 3 but with the contract situation that debate is probably not.

Yes, could work on occasions in a 3 you as you say.  I would add he could be more effective when we’re playing more of a footballing side too.

He certainly doesn’t look suited to dealing with the sort of cynical treatment Stoke were dishing out on Saturday.  Whilst he does win a a good few free kicks against those kinds of sides, he seems to offer little else in those situations.  I do admire how he dusts himself off and gets back up again, but he doesn’t appear to be able to affect a game when it gets rough.

As you say, with the contract situation as it stands, it makes you wonder if we’ll ever see him in ghe first team again before he inevitably leaves.

Just looks like one of those apparently promising signings that didn’t work out and time to get him off the wage bill if we can.

• Like 1

On 18/12/2022 at 16:27, Davefevs said:

The best player on the pitch first half yesterday, causing Stoke to move Baker to man-mark him to stop him / us.  He still got on the ball in the second half but wasn’t as effective.  Overall, he played well.

I think it's important to remember as well if you're getting man marked out of the game, just to have an OK game then that's just as good as having a good game.  As it reduces the opposition to 10 effectively, man marking is a terrible options if your a team. 

3 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I think it's important to remember as well if you're getting man marked out of the game, just to have an OK game then that's just as good as having a good game.  As it reduces the opposition to 10 effectively, man marking is a terrible options if your a team. 

??????