IGNORED

Bristol Butchers

Maesknoll Red

I guess we count as Bristol? Butchers Block in Portishead is amazing. Their meat pack deals are great and they also put together their own ready meals. 

If you come down you can also get lovely stuff from their own bakehouse next door. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/377138215815064/?ref=share 

• Like 2

Buxton Butchers in Winterbourne is excellent. Award winning in fact.

Supplies a lot of meat to top end restaurants as well.

They source their beef from the Belmont estate. Where the cattle roams and eats naturally.

Getting my fore rib, Jacobs ladder and faggots delivered this Thursday. 

Howells in Chipping Sodbury is also very good. I recently made an Italian porchetta with pork sourced from there. Friends who ate it, said it was the best they'd ever eaten. Two even made the same that weekend with pork from same butcher. 

• Like 1

On 19/12/2022 at 07:45, Port Said Red said:

I guess we count as Bristol? Butchers Block in Portishead is amazing. Their meat pack deals are great and they also put together their own ready meals. 

If you come down you can also get lovely stuff from their own bakehouse next door. :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/377138215815064/?ref=share

Yep I really like the butchers block and they provide most of the pubs/workman's in portishead with their meat raffle meat!

I just find woods in shire a bit better value for money

Hanham Common Butchers - normally a decent range.

Buxton Butchers - as mentioned it supplies top end restaurants, has its own salt cellar too.

Artingsall Butchers - Chipping Sodbury.  Great for sourcing game. Pies are great too.  

Costco - not a butchers, deal with it but it’s a great place to get offers on meat & American cuts.  Really shit for flat Brisket though, which amazes me. 

I get most of my big hunks of meat from meat wagons, as I don’t really see the point of going for something top end when it’s going to be smoked for 8 hours. 

It’s a shame there’s not many butchers left. Maybe with supermarkets getting out the game we’ll see more pop up, likewise bakeries. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Buxton Butchers in Winterbourne is excellent. Award winning in fact.

Supplies a lot of meat to top end restaurants as well.

They source their beef from the Belmont estate. Where the cattle roams and eats naturally.

Getting my fore rib, Jacobs ladder and faggots delivered this Thursday. 

Howells in Chipping Sodbury is also very good. I recently made an Italian porchetta with pork sourced from there. Friends who ate it, said it was the best they'd ever eaten. Two even made the same that weekend with pork from same butcher. 

Crikey haven't had these for years! Used to always get them with chips and mushy peas from the local chip shop back in the day.

7 hours ago, Super said:

Crikey haven't had these for years! Used to always get them with chips and mushy peas from the local chip shop back in the day.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Neither have I...so I ordered some going on a recommendation. ?

Iceland sell them in boxes 4/6`s nothing like butchers but edible gravy included just add mash and peas

10 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Iceland sell them in boxes 4/6`s nothing like butchers but edible gravy included just add mash and peas

I don't use a freezer anymore. I buy fresh everyday if I can. I find it less wasteful and often cheaper. I don't think I've ever been in an Iceland. How mad is that :laugh:

I do remember my father having Brains? Faggots. Like you say with Mash and gravy. He'd also get a slab of bread and butter and put mash, gravy and faggot on top ??

That takes me back to my childhood :laugh:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't use a freezer anymore. I buy fresh everyday if I can. I find it less wasteful and often cheaper. I don't think I've ever been in an Iceland. How mad is that :laugh:

I do remember my father having Brains? Faggots. Like you say with Mash and gravy. He'd also get a slab of bread and butter and put mash, gravy and faggot on top ??

That takes me back to my childhood :laugh:

sounds lush, i love proper faggots, brains are ok but nothing like real butchers ones. used to be a butcher in whitchurch/hengrove ,down airport rd way made his own recipe beefburgers, would drive from nailsea to get those

• Like 2

18 hours ago, frenchred said:

Yep I really like the butchers block and they provide most of the pubs/workman's in portishead with their meat raffle meat!

I just find woods in shire a bit better value for money

City fans too, although work means they don't get down that often. They have supplied food for a drive to feed the poor at Xmas and breakfast rolls for the volunteers who put the Xmas lights up. Good guys.

On the other topic, their faggots are great, maybe a little "liver-y" for some tastes, they don't look that big, but I cook them in a tomato soup based s a u c e and they swell up nicely as they soak up the juices. :)

Edited by Port Said Red
OTIB correction tool :(
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Not very helpful to most of you but Warrens Butchers in Launceston do the best faggots I`ve ever tasted, the size of cricket balls they are!

In fact, this thread has inspired me to go an get some tomorrow morning -  with mash & broad beans in gravy is my choice.

? broad beans or mushy peas like my gran used to do them,soaked overnight in a bowl of something, possibly bi-carb ??

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

cant remember what was in it but had haggis once and enjoyed that, seem to remember it being sort of similar. down by you at smokey joes  just off scorrier roundabout, they do hogs pudding with the mega breakfast,that is monsterous but you cant leave any,rediculously good

Not a haggis fan. I find it a bit bland but hogs pudding, now you`re talking! Warrens do gurt big slices of it in packs of four.

• Like 2