IGNORED

Bristol Butchers

Maesknoll Red

50 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Surprised Bakers of Nailsea haven't had a mention

https://www.bakersofnailsea.co.uk/

the off cut bags they do for dogs gets me excited,you could have a proper mixed grill on that if you knew  it was safe to eat. a friend of mine feeds his collie on it,mrs cooks it all up in one go once a week then spreads it out for the week. smells delicious when shes doing it

I remember asking in the past, what was a traditional food that Bristol and local area was known for. 

There wasn't any definitive answer.

However the humble faggot was mentioned. From this thread...I'd say it is really popular from an older generation? My late father included.

It's time that someone tried making it more in the public eye.

Someone mentioned the similarity between the faggot and Haggis. Oddly I find Haggis more spicy because of all the pepper and coriander seeds in it. 

Haggis go amazingly well with cooked tomatoes.

This past summer I made tapas and pizzas with haggis crumbled on top. 

Cheese, tomato and Haggis with some chilli oil on a pizza is a taste sensation. As is a bruschetta with crumbled haggis on top. 

Ill try it with crumbled faggots next year when I fire up the pizza oven. 

I could easily see a faggot, pea, gravy and mash pop up in St NICs market doing well. 

Even down the Gate...a food stall selling that...now that's an idea :laugh:

46 minutes ago, spudski said:

I could easily see a faggot, pea, gravy and mash pop up in St NICs market doing well. 

Pre covid there was a chap who did faggots, mash & gravy on Wine St on the street food market day. They were insanely good. Source in St. Nicks did faggots from their butchers counter too, but not ready to eat. Their fish counter was also excellent. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Pre covid there was a chap who did faggots, mash & gravy on Wine St on the street food market day. They were insanely good. Source in St. Nicks did faggots from their butchers counter too, but not ready to eat. Their fish counter was also excellent. 

I missed that on wine street. What a shame they aren't back. Definitely a market for it I feel.

Could be Bristol's answer to the East ends pie, mash and liquor.

• Thanks 1

I think faggots stopped being popular around the time of the BSE scare - you couldn`t get them for love nor money back then. I think people just got a bit more concerned about what was in things like the (and lets be honest, it`s probably best not to think about it!)

As an aside, in the East Midlands around Mansfield and places like that faggots are known as savoury ducks so you go into the butchers and ask `have you got any savoury ducks me duck?`

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think faggots stopped being popular around the time of the BSE scare - you couldn`t get them for love nor money back then. I think people just got a bit more concerned about what was in things like the (and lets be honest, it`s probably best not to think about it!)

As an aside, in the East Midlands around Mansfield and places like that faggots are known as savoury ducks so you go into the butchers and ask `have you got any savoury ducks me duck?`

when i was little, my father used to buy chitlin to cook up. i never tried it and dont think i could now.

quote '     So even after a machine removes the faeces, chitlins have to be thoroughly washed and boiled for hours before they can be eaten, and any surfaces they came into contact with need to be cleaned with chlorine or bleach. On top of all that, they stink up any place where they're being cooked.'

• Admin
4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Faggots are made from pork and pork liver, so not connected to BSE at all, I guess they are just ‘old fashioned’ food.

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Faggots are made from pork and pork liver, so not connected to BSE at all, I guess they are just ‘old fashioned’ food.

I know that but people still didn`t like not knowing what was in them and that was due to the fallout from BSE. Like you say though, there`s been a drift away from good, cheap, old fashioned food that uses all of the animal sadly. Most of my childhood was spent eating all sorts of indeterminate stews made from whatever my Mum could pick up cheap - I don`t recall us ever having joints of meat and definitely not steak. Roast chicken was as exotic as it got!

• Like 1

On 22/12/2022 at 20:08, redsquirrel said:

when i was little, my father used to buy chitlin to cook up. i never tried it and dont think i could now.

quote '     So even after a machine removes the faeces, chitlins have to be thoroughly washed and boiled for hours before they can be eaten, and any surfaces they came into contact with need to be cleaned with chlorine or bleach. On top of all that, they stink up any place where they're being cooked.'

Chitterlings to give them their proper name.  Also a Wurzels song!