IGNORED

The World cup beyond 2030, plans to be every three years.

Never to the dark side

But why do we need to change it ? It already seems that international players are playing too much with little or no down time. And you then feed in the relevant tournaments as in copa America, Africa's cup and European. A scheduling nightmare.  Surely this is purely a money making exercise. The football comes seconed to the loot.  And who then gets this increased revenue? I can see Asia and African associations going for this seeking increased world football handouts. Who is backing the players in this ? Or are they just seen as money making pawns by those in charge. Obscenely overpaid pawns if that. Qatar has been interesting. Yes political obscenities overlooked in awarding them the world cup in the first place. But some great football and an carnival atmosphere, barring some farsicle refferes,  for those lucky enough to have the wealth to be able to attend. So does international football only become accessible to the wealthy. Again all controlled by wealth and access to it. Long way from my first attendance at the gate juvenile entrance 50 p and programme 5 p. I cannot Remeber how much I paid for my first England game or even who it was against. England won 1-0 a Paul Mariner goal I think. With continuing cost rises watching the game in this country compared to other European football surely the working class fan is being left unable to attend. I am unable to afford a season ticket any more and my attendance is effected often by money issues. Not seeking sympathy here. The whole game has become about profit and maximising profit. Not providing entertainment for the mass population. Or has football become a sad indictment on the modern culture of the haves and have nots in our modern society. 

End of rant, just my thoughts.

Phew I need a cuppa

There's an interesting little couple of paragraphs in Barney Ronay's article today. On the future of FIFA and the World Cup.

"A final note on what might happen next, beyond the US, Mexico and Canada in 2026 and our newly opened book on the morality of World Cup hosts. It was interesting that Michel Platini declined Emmanuel Macron’s invitation to attend the World Cup final. Platini is said to be unwilling to meet Infantino and his circle, whom he sees as malevolent architects of his own downfall.

There is genuine enmity here. Platini is also free now of criminal charges. Infantino, newly re-elected, cosying up to world leaders, looks bulletproof. But if anyone knows anything about the things no one knows about, it is perhaps Platini, who doesn’t seem to be done just yet."

There's scope for more drama, more scandal, and more revelation. I don't believe for a second that Infantino is clean, and there's surely a good half dozen pieces of evidence floating around somewhere.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

So ..

World Cup ........ 2022  -  2026  -  2030 - 2033 - *2036* 

Euro Champ's .       . 2024   -   2028   -   2032  -  *2036*

Anyone else see an issue in the future ??

World cup would have to be held in the Middle East again in the winter to make that work.....I'm sure FIFA are already looking at that

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

World cup would have to be held in the Middle East again in the winter to make that work.....I'm sure FIFA are already looking at that

The amount of money that the heads of FIFA must have got from Russia & Qatar, they probably have it "fixed" in the diary all ready.

• Admin
1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

So ..

For this reason UEFA will never give it's backing, this is a complete non starter, Just Infantino spouting more nonsense

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

There's an interesting little couple of paragraphs in Barney Ronay's article today. On the future of FIFA and the World Cup.

"A final note on what might happen next, beyond the US, Mexico and Canada in 2026 and our newly opened book on the morality of World Cup hosts. It was interesting that Michel Platini declined Emmanuel Macron’s invitation to attend the World Cup final. Platini is said to be unwilling to meet Infantino and his circle, whom he sees as malevolent architects of his own downfall.

There is genuine enmity here. Platini is also free now of criminal charges. Infantino, newly re-elected, cosying up to world leaders, looks bulletproof. But if anyone knows anything about the things no one knows about, it is perhaps Platini, who doesn’t seem to be done just yet."

There's scope for more drama, more scandal, and more revelation. I don't believe for a second that Infantino is clean, and there's surely a good half dozen pieces of evidence floating around somewhere.

Very interesting. It's not a popular opinion but I genuinely think Infantino could potentially do more damage to Football than Blatter ever did and comments like we could host a World Cup in North Korea backs that up.

The guy is obsessed with being in the spotlight and one of his bonkers plans are bound to happen at some point. Just leave Football alone as it is, it doesn't need any more tournament changes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Just have a World Cup every day. Group stage in the morning, knockouts start at midday and the final in the evening. League games can then be played overnight.

Wizzard wrote a Christmas song a bit like that.

I can't see it ever happening, leaders like him fail to realise they are only custodians of the position and seem to think they need to change something, everything. He will be talking 10 a side for 80 minutes next.

3 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Wizzard wrote a Christmas song a bit like that.

I can't see it ever happening, leaders like him fail to realise they are only custodians of the position and seem to think they need to change something, everything. He will be talking 10 a side for 80 minutes next.

We are probably only a year or two away from this coming true.

My conditional category 3 ticket for the final- allocated via the ESTC and valid had England reached the final - was about £700. ( I paid this in June, incidentally- refund probably about February next year.) In other words, a seat behind the goal was the equivalent of almost 2 years season tickets at the Gate. And my cat 1 Euro final ticket last year was £900. Pricing for major competitions is now beyond obscene and FIFA will simply lose the fans if this continues. As a more mature fan, I can remember the 1982 World Cup in Spain. Terraces and tickets cost a few quid- sold on the day from cigarette kiosks in Bilbao!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

My conditional category 3 ticket for the final- allocated via the ESTC and valid had England reached the final - was about £700. ( I paid this in June, incidentally- refund probably about February next year.) In other words, a seat behind the goal was the equivalent of almost 2 years season tickets at the Gate. And my cat 1 Euro final ticket last year was £900. Pricing for major competitions is now beyond obscene and FIFA will simply lose the fans if this continues. As a more mature fan, I can remember the 1982 World Cup in Spain. Terraces and tickets cost a few quid- sold on the day from cigarette kiosks in Bilbao!

They won't lose fans or support, it will just be a case of the super wealthy attending matches and a load of social media influencers. The average fan will just stay at home, sadly. It's what they've wanted for years.

47 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Do need to factor in inflation and the fact that the Euro is undoubtedly a stronger currency than the Pesata was but this really is a constant hike. I dunno if Qatar was a particularly expensive one or is it more sadly the rule these days?

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

So ..

I can’t be bothered to work out the dates, but at some point, presumably, the Olympics will be at the same time too ??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

I can’t be bothered to work out the dates, but at some point, presumably, the Olympics will be at the same time too ??

7 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

So ..

31 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

They're going to coincide every 12 years aren't they. Lowest common multiple of 4 and 3. FIFA are so pathetic. Can we pull out please?

Summer Olympics are in Brisbane 2032 so the one after is *2036*. It'll be a busy summer that one. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

2036 - Euros, Olympics and World Cup all in one year. I think the IOC might have something to say to Infantile - like “**** off and you can take your under-23 tournament with you!”

It’s like he thinks that just by saying it, it will happen. After cosying up to Putin in 2018, it’s sometime hard to work out which one of them is the bigger megalomaniac!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

A Saudi official stated that they are studying the feasability of a World Cup being staged in Saudi, Egypt and Greece. All hot countries in Summer.

19 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Just have a World Cup every day. Group stage in the morning, knockouts start at midday and the final in the evening. League games can then be played overnight.

Good idea Gareth.

You’d still get England knocked out before every final though.