IGNORED

Pearsons WBA Press Conference

W-S-M Seagull

Much was said by our fan base following Pearsons post Stoke comments regarding Atkinson. 

The WBA press conference is well worth a watch. 

Pearson will never be able to win around certain sections of our fan base. However this interview imo provides clarity about the culture Pearson is slowly implementing at the club. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

What NP was saying is exactly what I wanted to hear from him. No fuss & honesty about players that need to know that there is no easy ride. It may hurt some people to hear it but it's whats needed.

No passengers !!!

Merry Xmas & All the very best for 2023 to everyone.

Edited by bpexile
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Much was said by our fan base following Pearsons post Stoke comments regarding Atkinson. 

The WBA press conference is well worth a watch. 

Pearson will never be able to win around certain sections of our fan base. However this interview imo provides clarity about the culture Pearson is slowly implementing at the club. 

Agreed. Really good interview - as many have said before, we are in safe hands with NP at the helm - the club are working through the wrongs of previous approach to spending and culture of the club (on & off the pitch).

Sense that we will see a couple of additions in Jan which would be good for everyone (club and supporters)

• Like 2

Reading between the lines of the interview and from other sources, it seems like Atkinson felt he was doing well because nothing had been said to the contrary. It's good that they have had a chat now and new goals have been set for him, if he can go up a level from what we have seen before, then we really would have some player on out hands.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Good interview (sensible questions) but I doubt it will change too many opinions.

There are some who think the past isn’t important now & that he should be doing better.

Others can see the almighty mess that he inherited & will give him more leeway.

I still think the aim for the season is avoid bottom six whilst developing more young players, lose a few games & that will be ignored by a fair few.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Reading between the lines of the interview and from other sources, it seems like Atkinson felt he was doing well because nothing had been said to the contrary. It's good that they have had a chat now and new goals have been set for him, if he can go up a level from what we have seen before, then we really would have some player on out hands.

Leaving any player out is usually a motivational tactic, especially if said player is replaced by another who’s not accustomed to the same position.

Nige has done exactly that with Atkinson by replacing him in defence by a midfielder whom he knows will give his utmost for the team and highlighting RA in pressers - no player would want that.

No doubt Nige will have had conversations this season with Atkinson about his performances but to no avail and if you listen closely Nige mentioned Atkinsons personality. To me he’s saying that RA’s inconsistency is part of his make up hence this  tactic of trying to motivate him.

Some see it as brutal but the means justifies the end and should Atkinson start on Boxing Day and have a blinder and then continue that level of performances then it will have been worth it.

As I’ve said before - Nige is a proper manager.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Good interview (sensible questions) but I doubt it will change too many opinions.

There are some who think the past isn’t important now & that he should be doing better.

Others can see the almighty mess that he inherited & will give him more leeway.

I still think the aim for the season is avoid bottom six whilst developing more young players, lose a few games & that will be ignored by a fair few.

I’m not Pearson Out as I never want to chop and change managers and would rather give someone as long as is possible.  One thing that is slowly becoming a point of farce is nearly 2 years to not improve a defence.  He’s simply got to show he can improve it over the next 6 months. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

However bad it is it’s always worse down the road 

always believe 

Facts;

NP came here 24th Feb 2021 according to Wikipeadia, when we were 12th p32 with 42pts

On 26th Dec same year we were 18th with 27points from 23 games

A year later we are 18th p 22 with 27points

In his time here we have p88 w 26, d 20, L42 (close to losing nearly half games played)

The above taken from elsewhere show we have regressed not progressed since his arrival.

Now i know all the other stuff, inherited high wage bill/lazy culture etc and young guns coming through and actually believe this manager is one of the better choices SL has chosen, BUT if we dont soon put all the hope into points we could even be one of the better teams in the division below.

Is really our hope that there are 3 worse teams than us to save the season or is it time to start kicking ass and show this div what we can do?

Edited by gl2

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m not Pearson Out as I never want to chop and change managers and would rather give someone as long as is possible.  One thing that is slowly becoming a point of farce is nearly 2 years to not improve a defence.  He’s simply got to show he can improve it over the next 6 months. 

Fair point.

He can argue what happened with Baker was impossible to predict & that he’s been unlucky not to have Kalas available this season but has also brought in Atkinson, Klose & Naismith as centre backs & Tanner & Wilson as RBs, plus Fleming as a defensive coach so you’re right to say we should expect it to improve.

• Like 1

I still think he’s the best person for the current job at hand, everyone talks about culture in a club, but you can’t change that overnight, you have to have people that want to change and who have the right attitude, and ship out the ones that don’t want to adjust. That can’t happen overnight.

There was a good thread yesterday about the players brought in under various managers and the amount paid, Pearson has only been able to bring in 4 players with only one at a fee. That to me perfectly highlights where we are, yes the defence is poor and perhaps more accurately are prone to mistakes, you can coach and bring in systems to try to shore that up, but in some cases what we’ve got on the playing staff might not be good enough either in terms of drive, ability or fitness.

if we were flush and have a different set of players then perhaps NP would not be the best manager to have, but now, with the current financial and mindset situation I can’t think of any better.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Leaving any player out is usually a motivational tactic, especially if said player is replaced by another who’s not accustomed to the same position.

Nige has done exactly that with Atkinson by replacing him in defence by a midfielder whom he knows will give his utmost for the team and highlighting RA in pressers - no player would want that.

No doubt Nige will have had conversations this season with Atkinson about his performances but to no avail and if you listen closely Nige mentioned Atkinsons personality. To me he’s saying that RA’s inconsistency is part of his make up hence this  tactic of trying to motivate him.

Some see it as brutal but the means justifies the end and should Atkinson start on Boxing Day and have a blinder and then continue that level of performances then it will have been worth it.

Pearson basically said that he hadn't had conversations with him before and that had given Atkinson a false impression. I am also interested in your suggestion that he has been inconsistent, could you point to the games where he hasn't been as good? Even the Lincoln game where everybody was poor, the consensus of opinion was that he was still better than most. 

Pearson didn't say he was inconsistent, he said he could do even more than he is doing, which is far from saying he has been poor.

27 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Facts;

NP came here 24th Feb 2021 according to Wikipeadia, when we were 12th p32 with 42pts

On 26th Dec same year we were 18th with 27points from 23 games

A year later we are 18th p 22 with 27points

In his time here we have p88 w 26, d 20, L42 (close to losing nearly half games played)

The above taken from elsewhere show we have regressed not progressed since his arrival.

Now i know all the other stuff, inherited high wage bill/lazy culture etc and young guns coming through and actually believe this manager is one of the better choices SL has chosen, BUT if we dont soon put all the hope into points we could even be one of the better teams in the division below.

Is really our hope that there are 3 worse teams than us to save the season or is it time to start kicking ass and show this div what we can do?

Results in September 2020 have very little importance as to then what happened over that winter where we were barely able to get out of our half 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was surprised by the reaction of our fanbase to Pearsons comments. Some people made some very strong comments about what Pearson said. I sat there laughing at all the texts Geoff read out on Sound of the City this week. 

I think Nige even made reference to it by saying something along the lines of "when I came here fans were fed up of lazy players" I felt that he was quite surprised by the reaction to. 

I think what he did with Atkinson was a stroke of genius. It sends a very strong message to Atkinson and the squad as a whole. 

Listening to the Wells interview was a breath of fresh air. It basically continued along the lines of what Pearson said in his interview. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Great interview, he is obviously trying to change Bristol Cosy Club mentality the fans have long criticised.

Also he is more concerned about a promotion challenge in 23/24 than relegation in 22/23 otherwise Atkinson would be one of the first names on the teamsheet

I just found it really bizarre that those that have long complained about the cosy club mentality, were quite vocal about Pearsons post Stoke comments. 

I feel like Pearson has just as big of a job on his hands with the fans, as he does with the players. 

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

25 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Pearson basically said that he hadn't had conversations with him before and that had given Atkinson a false impression. I am also interested in your suggestion that he has been inconsistent, could you point to the games where he hasn't been as good? Even the Lincoln game where everybody was poor, the consensus of opinion was that he was still better than most. 

Pearson didn't say he was inconsistent, he said he could do even more than he is doing, which is far from saying he has been poor.

Nige wants more from all his players and RA hasn’t been consistent in producing what Nige is looking for. It’s largely down to RA’s make up or personality if you prefer. 
Comments like “playing when he wants to” doesn’t sit well with Nige. He wants players like King who are really professional and motivated and delivers every time he plays. It’s what he expects and quite right that he should.

I get the impression that RA seems to have cyclothymic mood swings. That’s not unusual with guys who haven’t fully matured psychologically and at 24 RA fits the bill perfectly.

I remember reading an article about Andy Cole and it mentioned that when he showed up for training no one knew what mood he’d be in. I imagine that RA has similar traits.

I could never understand Johnson's mumbo-jumbo. (Let's be honest, who could?)

Whether you like Pearson or not, he speaks clearly and frankly, and much of what he says makes a lot of sense, and offers realistic hope.

But, irrespective of what he says and his strategy, fans and supporters will judge him on results.

He needs to start delivering wins, and accumulating the points we need, starting with the game against West Brom.

Let's hope we knock-out the Baggies on Boxing Day.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I just found it really bizarre that those that have long complained about the cosy club mentality, were quite vocal about Pearsons post Stoke comments. 

I feel like Pearson has just as big of a job on his hands with the fans, as he does with the players. 

Nige has a big job at City per se and whilst he’d like the fans to be behind him that’s not his top priority. His top priority is to build a club capable of reaching the PL and to do that the entire club needs to be onside.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I was surprised by the reaction of our fanbase to Pearsons comments. Some people made some very strong comments about what Pearson said. I sat there laughing at all the texts Geoff read out on Sound of the City this week. 

I think Nige even made reference to it by saying something along the lines of "when I came here fans were fed up of lazy players" I felt that he was quite surprised by the reaction to. 

I think what he did with Atkinson was a stroke of genius. It sends a very strong message to Atkinson and the squad as a whole. 

Listening to the Wells interview was a breath of fresh air. It basically continued along the lines of what Pearson said in his interview. 

Yes, the reaction was over the top and emotional after a disappointing result. What he said about Atkinson was not that big an issue really. Pep has called Kalvin Phillips too overweight to train in the media today, which is far worse and from a world class coach.

Then there was the overreaction about how 'rude' NP was to Ali Durden. Another bizarre overreaction. 

If City want to change as a club we need to get away from this softy softy approach we have to everything and we want players who actually want to be here, so if Atkinson isn't pulling his weight he can rightfully be dropped and if Massengo isn't wanting to sign a contract he can do one too. The club needs to change and that includes the impatient and entitled fanbase

• Like 9
  • Flames 3

41 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Results in September 2020 have very little importance as to then what happened over that winter where we were barely able to get out of our half 

Another “fact” is that we had lost 7 on the trot before Pearson joined, we had a squad that we simply couldn’t afford & a horrendous availability/injury record.

That was the context in which he took over, he said himself that results were “awful” in the reminder of that season but as he joined in February he couldn’t change the squad then even if we could afford to do so.

Once people start quoting stats from that season you know they made their mind up a long time ago, fair to look at last season (when he brought in 3 players & extended the contracts of 3 more) to see if there is a plan, been some progress since, but before that?
No chance.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

1.  Trying to improve squad in January but need to create funds somehow

2.  Players offered new deals all offered less wage than currently on.  No brainer to sign wells. Goal scorer and helps the youngsters 

3.  Told 3 players they won’t be getting new deals so that they know where they are.  Clearly wants them to leave in jan if possible to create those funds

4.  Big fan of Tinnion being technical director and heavily involved in recruitment

5.  Atkinson played well in the under 21s and is in contention for Boxing Day.  Laid back character but they’ve spoke and sounds like he’s going to quickly be given another chance. Pearson said we need our best players on the pitch ideally

6. HNM still a vital member of the squad.  His choice to run down contract.  No bids 

7.  Trying to create something that’s more successful and driven. We’ve had to many comfortable players in a comfort zone.  

8.  Is bothered that some fans seem concerned about him being in charge and is aware. Takes full responsibility for performances.  He appreciates fan support and important they stay behind the team. He always puts team first.  FFP situation is not of his making. Could have improved quicker without that.

Hard to disagree with any of that really.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Another “fact” is that we had lost 7 on the trot before Pearson joined, we had a squad that we simply couldn’t afford & a horrendous availability/injury record.

That was the context in which he took over, he said himself that results were “awful” in the reminder of that season but as he joined in February he couldn’t change the squad then even if we could afford to do so.

Once people start quoting stats from that season you know they made their mind up a long time ago, fair to look at last season (when he brought in 3 players & extended the contracts of 3 more) to see if there is a plan, been some progress since, but before that?
No chance.

From November 2020 - February 2021 it was probably the worst football i've seen from City since we were relegated in 2013. Literally a bunch of no hopers who could barely string 2 passes together come the end of that bad run. Even having 50% possession in a game would have been an improvement.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

That for me is one of best interviews in a while good questions fantastic answers,I know results haven't been great but what Pearson is doing and implementing is top draw.Cant understand why people want this man gone.The club's had a soft underbelly for far to long and it's like players or staff join to have a cozy time in the south west.. Those days are gone.Pearson is right we need to stick with the club keep attendances up and we will achieve the results we want.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

From November 2020 - February 2021 it was probably the worst football i've seen from City since we were relegated in 2013. Literally a bunch of no hopers who could barely string 2 passes together come the end of that bad run. Even having 50% possession in a game would have been an improvement.

I’d like some of the posters on here to seek out again Tomas Kalas’ press conference after the Barnsley home game.

A totally defeated man who couldn’t see us getting another point if it had continued like that.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1