IGNORED

Time Since Last Bristol City Penalty

JackiDziekanowski

51 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

dont want none of that spotkick nonsense til we got the record. then i will happily take all the long overdue ones before seasons end

Apologies if it’s already been mentioned but what exactly is the record? Also how many more games do we need to go without a penalty to beat it?

1 minute ago, Redland said:

Thanks Rich. And is that just for the Championship or is it all the English professional leagues, or British leagues or Europe?

I don't think there are any reliable stats out there, that is for Port Vale's run that ended earlier this season, but cannot find anything longer anywhere by googling.

Edited by richwwtk

4 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I don't think there are any reliable stats out there, that is for Port Vale's run that ended earlier this season, but cannot find anything longer anywhere by googling.

So we can also view this record a bit like being the oldest person currently living then ... there have been teams with longer runs, but we're currently the longest ongoing. That's some comfort at least :). No pens until we get the guinness book record then, I mean, unless there's a point in it of course. Then the record can do one.

20 hours ago, sugarwray said:

I haven’t read the whole thread so it may be mentioned but how many penalties have there been against us?

I was at Coventry for the last City penalty, it was one minute into stoppage time. Six minutes into the second half Coventry were awarded a penalty.

Over what time period and do we want League only or verbatim? League only is easiest.

Anyway League only I believe from 2018-19 to present it is 8 for and 26 against.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

One thst does surprise me I guess though is Burnley only awarded two- given they are such a dominant side this season then that is unusually low?

Some of the midtable and lower sides badly outstripping us or those with similar or worse records over recenf seasons is odd.

9 hours ago, Redland said:

Thanks Rich. And is that just for the Championship or is it all the English professional leagues, or British leagues or Europe?

I believe the Port Vale stats were based on UK and Ireland. Although that’s based purely on the local paper report! 

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/port-vale-verge-football-history-7609370

There are figures for a wider, European, context mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but I’ve not seen any of those that go into ‘all time record’ territory. 

• Thanks 1

• Admin
12 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I think someone said it was Port Vale, 75 games. We are on 66 I think?

Around the time Port Vale were approaching the record, it was reported as if Derry City's 72 match run was the longest anyone knew of in World Football. British Isles refs generally allow a few more robust challenges to go unpunished so it makes sense that it's in our sphere that all the records come. Port Vale then beat that run with 73 games and got two penalties in match 74 (they missed the first one).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

One thing I noticed earlier when checking out some games, Massengo has already seen 3 in the few games he’s been involved with in France 

VAR might be one reason, the number of penalties being awarded in the Championship has been falling in general in recent years that's another.

• Thanks 1

There will be peaks and troughs but think it is sliding overall. League only, source Fotmob.

2016- 17...157 penalties.

2017-18...111 penalties.

2018-19...134 penalties.

2019-20...143 penalties.

2020-21...144 penalties.

2021-22...99 penalties.

2022-23...62 penalties.*

*Approaching 2/3 of season gone, latest figures as they stand.

Maybe it'll fluctuate, 157 was a high water mark, most recent completed season of 99 was rather low.

• Like 1

You just know what's going to happen.

After a phenomenal run, we need a win in the last game if the season to get into the play offs. It's 0-0 in the 6th minute of added time when Alex Scott is bought down and the ref points to the spot!

Who'd want to be taking that spot  kick?

:shocking:

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

After a phenomenal run, we need a win in the last game if the season to get into the play offs. It's 0-0 in the 6th minute of added time when Alex Scott is bought down and the ref points to the spot!

Gordon Owen?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Or…..we need a point to get into the play offs. 0-0 in the 6th minute of added time when Alex Scott brings down an opponent and the ref points to the spot.

And up steps Chris Martin……..

15 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He`d be booked for diving - as Grealish should have been.

Why is it a dive? It’s clever play he’s got himself in front which he’s entitled to do and the defender has clipped him.

You could argue it’s soft, though I think it’s still a pen, but it’s not a dive.

45 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Why is it a dive? It’s clever play he’s got himself in front which he’s entitled to do and the defender has clipped him.

You could argue it’s soft, though I think it’s still a pen, but it’s not a dive.

I believe there is wording along the lines of significant or meaningful contact, I can't remember exactly the wording. Simply being touched doesn't constitute a foul.

Grealish managed to cleanly land his foot and continue to then twist and take a dive. Having enginered to get into that position in the first place to then not even be challenged and go down in the manner he did is just wrong.

I think it was clearly the dive that took Grealish down and not any sort of slight touch. It didn't look a penalty in real time and even less so on replays.

If that Grealish one is the barometer for a penalty then the show reel of city penalties not given should probobly be well into triple figures of penalties turned down rather than hovering around/just into double figures of stonewallers.

• Like 1