IGNORED

Vyner

Bobbie

41 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He’ll take the risk and try to fire it into feet or he’ll try to put one over the top of the defence. When it don’t work that is all people see. I think he needs to cut down on the long diagonal balls but otherwise he is fine. Was only one looking to get the ball into our forwards quickly

He also played 2 (maybe 3) 40 yard ground-passes through the lines into the strikers feet tonight.  That was nice to see too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

He’ll take the risk and try to fire it into feet or he’ll try to put one over the top of the defence. When it don’t work that is all people see. I think he needs to cut down on the long diagonal balls but otherwise he is fine. Was only one looking to get the ball into our forwards quickly

I don’t mind the odd diagonal, it keeps the Rb honest against 4 at the back and asks questions of the Rcb and Rwb against a 3/5. Even if the execution isn’t always the best, it keeps the possibility of it in the backs of their minds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kolsch said:

Once. Did the same to Zak second half once also.

Aside from that, they did well. Probably why Rowett subbed him in the second half.

Correct.  And his threat diminished as the game went on…as did our threat down our right second half.  Which is why Burey got replaced by a less attack minded option in Styles.

Tanner got to grips with him well after a shaky start.

I think we've become accustomed to seeing Vyner be so bad at times that tonight he gets praise for doing what he should be doing. I'll stick to my guns and say Vyner is better in the middle of the back 3 then he is in that right side. Tonight he had Tanner there who sits so much deeper than Weimann, Sykes etc which gives him that extra support, the problem arises when he doesn't have that deep support and a ball is played over the top on his side, he gets flustered easily. 
They key difference tonight for me was he had protection because Millwall were pushing that wing so Tanner was forced to sit deeper and help protect that side which led him to be more comfortable. Zac is more than capable of having a good game but his weakness on that right side is when he has to cover a lot of space, his decision making and positioning cost him dearly in those situations, however due to Millwall pushing the left wing last night he wasn't put into those situations. There will be games where we're not so deep on the right hand side and he'll be put in those positions again and I am confident that he'll make mistakes because of it which is exactly why he's better in the middle, because when he's there we have a player either side of him at all times with no space so he is calmer and more composed there. 

• Like 3

Just now, elhombrecito said:

Certainly not this season.

Don't get me wrong, he's been better but he's still made mistakes in those situations I mentioned. I think having only Tanner who really fits the right sided cb position has made sure he's had a lot of play time to get more consistent.

Just now, elhombrecito said:

Certainly not this season.

I really think he is a great example of how the crowd can help a player. In the first few games this season, the boo boys were ready to jump on every missed pass or anything they saw as a mistake. But as the games wore on and Zac started to play much better around those mistakes, the rest of the crowd were really encouraging and his mistakes have become fewer, his contribution greater with the confidence they have given him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ditto

Genuinely think he'd get my player of the season vote if asked right now.

I’d agree.

18 months ago I wouldn’t have him anywhere near the side. But full credit to him, he’s probably the first player you’d name at the back.

• Like 2

Had a very tough first half today, Gyokeres pinned him a few times and Zak eventually nibbled and got a yellow.  But he stuck at it, and Gyokeres eventually got frustrated and drifted deep in the end.  Great tackle on Gyokeres then avoided nibbling when he maybe concedes a pen, before blocking for a corner.

Vyner is a crazy one atm, I think a lot of our fans want him to come good and whilst he's definitely improved it's frustrating seeing people say he was MoM today when Pring was another gravy today. Vyner was better today for sure, but on three occasions he got tight to a defender and gave away fouls leaving space behind him of which one of those fouls put him on a yellow which forced him to be more cautious. The commentary team picked up on it too, he kept pushing into the back of his man and whilst it didn't cost us a player like Semenyo lives for those kinds of defenders as one quick turn when receiving the ball leaves the defender flat footed.
I don't want to bring negatives to Vyner because he's been through so much but it's also frustrating seeing people get carried away because he's not made any major mistakes. Vyner is capable but he's still making the odd bad decision that is getting overlooked because it's not cost us. Also his decision to keep playing long balls down the wing is frustrating, this may not be down to him, this could be what Peason has told him to do but it rarely does anything other than give away the possession.

Pring on the other hand, dangerous going forward, solid in defence, was taking players on, strong on the ball, he had the best performance by far.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Spike said:

Vyner is a crazy one atm, I think a lot of our fans want him to come good and whilst he's definitely improved it's frustrating seeing people say he was MoM today when Pring was another gravy today. Vyner was better today for sure, but on three occasions he got tight to a defender and gave away fouls leaving space behind him of which one of those fouls put him on a yellow which forced him to be more cautious. The commentary team picked up on it too, he kept pushing into the back of his man and whilst it didn't cost us a player like Semenyo lives for those kinds of defenders as one quick turn when receiving the ball leaves the defender flat footed.
I don't want to bring negatives to Vyner because he's been through so much but it's also frustrating seeing people get carried away because he's not made any major mistakes. Vyner is capable but he's still making the odd bad decision that is getting overlooked because it's not cost us. Also his decision to keep playing long balls down the wing is frustrating, this may not be down to him, this could be what Peason has told him to do but it rarely does anything other than give away the possession.

Pring on the other hand, dangerous going forward, solid in defence, was taking players on, strong on the ball, he had the best performance by far.

Spot on Spike, the timing of when he tries to go a bit physical is wrong.  His forward “has felt him” by then and just rolls him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Had a very tough first half today, Gyokeres pinned him a few times and Zak eventually nibbled and got a yellow.  But he stuck at it, and Gyokeres eventually got frustrated and drifted deep in the end.  Great tackle on Gyokeres then avoided nibbling when he maybe concedes a pen, before blocking for a corner.

Have to say, Gyokeres is one of the best players in this division. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Spot on Spike, the timing of when he tries to go a bit physical is wrong.  His forward “has felt him” by then and just rolls him.

Pretty sure we’ve criticised his physicality before. The aggressiveness is lacking sometimes, but like you say, it’s picking the right time to do it. 

That’s where he needs to improve.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2022 at 21:45, tin said:

Having Tanner protecting him and offering an outlet was a massive help. 

Exactly this, the defence plays as a unit covering each other, having a defender on his outside rather than a midfielder or a forward makes all the difference, then he can concentrate on his game and not keep half an eye on where his RWB is

• Like 1

Just now, Lew-T said:

Pretty sure we’ve criticised his physicality before. The aggressiveness is lacking sometimes, but like you say, it’s picking the right time to do it. 

That’s where he needs to improve.

It is because in some ways it reminds me of me, I wasn’t the most physical CB either in terms of “nailing” my opponent.  I relied on winning stuff in the air and making them play the way they face.  I didn’t get rolled though, because I learned from an ex-City player how not to get felt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Thought Zak was a lot better than simply avoiding making mistakes, lots of good tackles, positioning and dealt with the ball well when he had it. Not perfect - and agree he can improve how close he gets to opponents with their back to goal - but not sure anyone, including Cam, achieved that. Thought the commentary and the match day thread went overboard on the booking, a central defender getting booked seemed to require an automatic substitution to avoid a red card, which it turned out was an unnecessary concern, as one of the best strikers in the division became ever less influential. 

• Flames 1