IGNORED

How many good decisions have the Lansdowns made

BigAl&Toby

GJ overall did quite well IMO. It wasn't huge expenditure albeit a rising wage bill relative to the time. Got us up, kept us here for a while with 4th, 10th and no true danger of the drop in year 3 when he left. Sorted the drinking culture too.

LJ did fine up to a point, but he seemed to struggle to get the best out of players signed from a higher level/starting point, seemed better with players developing or younger ones at times. He also underpinned his spending and MA must take a large chunk of the blame, with the idea of £x in transfer profit, perhaps even rising transfer profit to offset rising fees (amortisation) and wages. That was a huge mistake- eventually you can run out of players to sell, yet are left with a major cost base and additionally, the number in and out under him must have also contributed to the spiralling costs.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

My view is that they’ve done great things infrastructure-wise, but spent / wasted a lot of money in football by thinking they know football like the pros do.

Hopefully the appointment of Alexander as CEO and Tinnion into his new role (much needed - I’ve cried out for this for ages) is a start of that recognition.  And that’s not to diminish Gould’s role / performance since he’s been here too…think he set the ball rolling (with Nige) in terms of creating the visibility of the issues at AG.

The recruitment of Alexander has been very professionally run according to someone very ITK.

• Like 1

Whilst I'm disappointed that we haven't yet reached the Premier League over what feels like an eternity since SL took the reins, and that the focus on success for the football club has become the much broader project that is Bristol Sport, I dread to think where we might be without the considerable investment that SL has made in our club.

What most disappoints me at the moment though, is the length of my previous sentence. Shocker.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Asking for a friend. 

Don’t post nonsense on here about stadium developments or the academy. Or funding closes.

Thinking about it, the latter two might be valid. My friend wants to know what the Ls have done where it matters - on the green stuff. Or decisions they’ve made that directly affect that.

Is there account in credit, or overdrawn?

Me? Massively in debt. Maybe even bankrupt. I’m struggling to think of one……

Help my friend. Name some of his footballing successes…….

Christ, has someone in the Lansdown family really done something so horrendous to you in the past, to justify the bitter hatred you clearly have for them?

Nobody is going to claim SL’s reign has been a roaring success, and he could certainly have done a hell of a lot better.  On the other hand, it’s been far from the total disaster you keep banging on about.  

The timing of the post is interesting, given the decent result last night.  Could you be one of the ‘fans’ expecting and hoping we’d get a dicking from the ‘wall last night to help NP on his way out the door?

Whatever, you’ve had a bit of a mare with this one and this continued blinkered vendetta against the Lansdowns is doing nothing for your credibility tbh.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

If it's weird to believe this club will never gain promotion to the premier League whilst the Lansdown's are still here,, then I'm weird.

Nope, not weird. Absolutely normal to have doubts after all this time. However ...

Believing that someone is pumping Millions and Millions into a Club with the sole purpose of not getting success ?

That would be truly Weird.

• Like 6

Haven’t read any of the replies but I’d imagine the majority on here would say appointing Pearson and still having him in post have been his best decisions, personally my position has always been the same, I never wanted Pearson and would sack him tomorrow other than that I’m 100% behind him

2 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I think Steve Lansdown has been a fantastic owner.

Yes he's made some appointments that haven't worked out but which owner hasn't. He's always backed the manager, yes we are now in trouble for that with FFP but he has put his money where his mouth is.

Being an older supporter who remembers the old Div 1 days he almost got us to the promised land.

People say the Johnsons were a mistake - really Gary took us to within 90 mins of the Prem and Lee's record is pretty good too. Other than Alan Dicks who has actually finished higher in the last 50 years.

I want SL to stay as owner, he is stable and won't run away when the going gets tough. We could end up like Derby or the gas who thought they were going to be the next Chelsea.

I just say be careful what you wish for.

I think people probably don't really understand FFP and the financial position it has put us in and that leads to frustration with out owners.

Lansdown has always backed his managers, without a doubt. If FFP didn't exist then I'm 100% certain he would have given Nigel funds to spend in the past few windows. 

Because of FFP Lansdown can't just hand Pearson 5 million for a CB like he may of done in the past. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Asking for a friend. 

Don’t post nonsense on here about stadium developments or the academy. Or funding closes.

Thinking about it, the latter two might be valid. My friend wants to know what the Ls have done where it matters - on the green stuff. Or decisions they’ve made that directly affect that.

Is there account in credit, or overdrawn?

Me? Massively in debt. Maybe even bankrupt. I’m struggling to think of one……

Help my friend. Name some of his footballing successes…….

If you can’t see how stadium development, the academy (or indeed the training ground) can only have a positive impact on what happens on “the green stuff”, and want answers that don’t acknowledge those obvious, massive positives as good decisions…then you clearly aren’t looking for an objective and fair answer.

• Like 4

It should be pointed out that he is still the owner and may still reap the rewards for his great investments.  In the 56 years that I have followed City, I have never seen anything like the stability given to us by SL and his family.  Once the temporary financial issues have receded, there may well be a good platform to push on to the promised land.  SL is still in the game!

• Like 4

Good to read some of the positive replies, always seems to be the same few individuals who can't wait for a poor spell to try and gain support for their anti SL rhetoric agenda. The problem with forums and social media, when a small number of people posting negative views have a few jumping on the bandwagon as they are frustrated it can look very negative towards our owners.

I have always argued as like many, are very grateful they continue to financially back BCFC, although I will accept they have not always got it right, its very easy to criticise with hindsight. 

I also get frustrated with the number of times posters will try to portray statements as facts to belittle them without any real basis, e.g they will get all the money back with all the house building etc or SL has gone off football and prefers Rugby, also the attacks on Bristol Sport which I do not understand.

I believe the majority of fans recognise and appreciate how lucky we are to have SL, and hope he stays for a long time to come. If and when he decides to sell the club, I have absolute faith it will be to someone he trusts to carry on the work he has started.

• Like 3
  • Robin 2

I remember the days of being buzzing when Bristol City’s Leroy Lita had made it into the England u21 squad and thinking of it as a big thing for Bristol City.

Not so long ago, we signed Jay DaSilva from Chelsea after he captained England U21’s. Now we’ve got Semenyo who’s just played at the World Cup. Recent former players Diedhiou and Morrell also played in Qatar.

The standard of football at our level is constantly improving and it’s arguably success in itself to have evolved with it, as we have.

We’ve got a stadium to be proud of and the infrastructure to attract and develop top youth players, giving us the foundation to achieve long term success.

Edited by Fammyfan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think people probably don't really understand FFP and the financial position it has put us in and that leads to frustration with out owners.

Lansdown has always backed his managers, without a doubt. If FFP didn't exist then I'm 100% certain he would have given Nigel funds to spend in the past few windows. 

Because of FFP Lansdown can't just hand Pearson 5 million for a CB like he may of done in the past. 

FFP will be a problem for any owner of BCFC - we just don't get the crowds/revenue to compete financially.

I don't agree that SL or Mark Ashton are responsible for poor signings - yes they may have overpaid but I'm sure they only bought the players the manager (and fans) wanted. Take Kalas I remember fans call the board to "sign him up" Palmer was the same they both have been a waste of money but we all wanted to sign them and SL did. Pearson has signed players but mostly they have disappointed or don't play - you can't blame SL for that.

There are too many who forget that for years we were a crap Div 3 / Div 4 team and that the gas were actually above us in the league.

I'm not a happy clapper and the last few seasons have been awful but I don't know what SL could have done differently.

All the names seriously linked with us when NP was appointed have failed and I would suggest 90% of fans thought NP was a good appointment. Now a minority are moaning that SL decisions are crap and he should go.

• Like 4

I have tried to meet the OP halfway in the past but some of their recent posts do seem unnecessarily harsh. When SL writes off debt to equity for example, that is loans the club no longer owes him albeit could it be included in a sale/stake price.

It could be a lot worse I am sure of it- and even some of those much worse owners aren't necessarily malign in intent, just a poor grasp of finances and chasing the dream leading to ruin or FFP breaches.

Birmingham, Reading, Sheffield Wednesday owners all messed up financially but fund the clubs more or less. Moshiri at Everton too, however I don't think SL will put us in a position where our solvency is at risk.

Look at WBA, what a gamble they are taking. £20m in secured high interest loans- in this the final year of their Parachute Payments. What would be to stop SL deciding he won't fully fund us but instead will secure loans against assets to someone like MSD (perfectly legit business practice btw).

Chansiri appears to have borrowed against Hillsborough which he now owns though he has comfortably enough to cover it.

Could go on- have read Cardiff have been externally borrowing e.g. at quite high interest rates not just to Tan.

Yeah these are examples of questionable ownership but there are a lot out there.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

FFP will be a problem for any owner of BCFC - we just don't get the crowds/revenue to compete financially.

I don't agree that SL or Mark Ashton are responsible for poor signings - yes they may have overpaid but I'm sure they only bought the players the manager (and fans) wanted. Take Kalas I remember fans call the board to "sign him up" Palmer was the same they both have been a waste of money but we all wanted to sign them and SL did. Pearson has signed players but mostly they have disappointed or don't play - you can't blame SL for that.

There are too many who forget that for years we were a crap Div 3 / Div 4 team and that the gas were actually above us in the league.

I'm not a happy clapper and the last few seasons have been awful but I don't know what SL could have done differently.

All the names seriously linked with us when NP was appointed have failed and I would suggest 90% of fans thought NP was a good appointment. Now a minority are moaning that SL decisions are crap and he should go.

Great post and your mention of the sags reminded me of something.  

I remember a spell when we had an 8 match run where we couldn’t manage to beat them and they were a constant irritation.  Anyone too young to remember that, if you think they’re nauseating now, that’s nothing compared to back then.

Considering the ever-growing length of ‘The Gap’, I reckon it must have been somewhere around the time SL took over that we started pulling away from those *****rs, and snuffed out their relevance.

For that alone, he’s due our thanks and appreciation, without even considering the amount of time we’ve managed in the Championship during his ownership.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

Not read the whole thread so this might already have been mentioned.

Surely his very best decision was choosing the right one of Bristol's 2 clubs in which to invest.

Without that decision would we have seen us at Wembley and within 90 minutes of the Prem?

Would we have seen the great season under SC?

Would we have seen us beat Man U at one of AG's most epic nights and to on  do ourselves proud in the next round against their Manchester rivals?

Would we now boast a stadium to be proud of rather the old one which, while held in affection by older fans, had become a embarrassing relic of a bygone age when judged against many championship rivals' stadia?

Would we now boast a HPC befitting a club at our level and containing an academy that is actually delivering players able to compete for first team places?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Great post and your mention of the sags reminded me of something.  

I remember a spell when we had an 8 match run where we couldn’t manage to beat them and they were a constant irritation.  Anyone too young to remember that, if you think they’re nauseating now, that’s nothing compared to back then.

Considering the ever-growing length of ‘The Gap’, I reckon it must have been somewhere around the time SL took over that we started pulling away from those *****rs, and snuffed out their relevance.

For that alone, he’s due our thanks and appreciation, without even considering the amount of time we’ve managed in the Championship during his ownership.

Yes, as recently as 1999-2000, okay not really that recent but not generations ago either they finished above us.

Playoffs, they dropped out last day- we finished midtable! Same division, they bottled top 6 all told and it was excellent. They sold some key strikers that summer, we bumbled about in 1999-2000 under Pulls and then the 3 wise men- Fawthrop, Burnside and Rosenior.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, as recently as 1999-2000, okay not really that recent but not generations ago either they finished above us.

Playoffs, they dropped out last day- we finished midtable! Same division, they bottled top 6 all told and it was excellent. They sold some key strikers that summer, we bumbled about in 1999-2000 under Pulls and then the 3 wise men- Fawthrop, Burnside and Rosenior.

Yes, those were pretty bleak times Mr Pop  and it certainly wasn’t pleasant having them lording it over us.  They get off very lightly these days, considering the shit we had to take from them back then and I certainly don’t forget that.

Anyone who can’t see we’ve progressed a long way since those days is either too young to know, or needs to give their head a very big wobble!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Yes, those were pretty bleak times Mr Pop  and it certainly wasn’t pleasant having them lording it over us.  They get off very lightly these days, considering the shit we had to take from them back then and I certainly don’t forget that.

Anyone who can’t see we’ve progressed a long way since those days is either too young to know, or needs to give their head a very big wobble!

Was actually my first full season BR. I was young, didn't know much better :laugh: however I loosely followed from afar Autumn 1998, then first game was the 3 Little Pigs fight.

Then the season I described post Benny (and let's be fair after a terrible start he was also not the luckiest of managers and we had a strong rally in April 1999- 10 pts 4 games, resilience etc). Screwed pber by officials at West Brom, Sunderland at home the following week then vs Birmingham in late April. Some things never change eh!

I digress, there is a lot of discontent but objectively speaking for me personally at least the 2nd decade or my City time has been more successful than the 1st and a lot of these 24-25 years coincide with SL's tenure.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was actually my first full season BR. I was young, didn't know much better :laugh: however I loosely followed from afar Autumn 1998, then first game was the 3 Little Pigs fight.

Then the season I described post Benny (and let's be fair after a terrible start he was also not the luckiest of managers and we had a strong rally in April 1999- 10 pts 4 games, resilience etc). Screwed pber by officials at West Brom, Sunderland at home the following week then vs Birmingham in late April. Some things never change eh!

I digress, there is a lot of discontent but objectively speaking for me personally at least the 2nd decade or my City time has been more successful than the 1st and a lot of these 24-25 years coincide with SL's tenure.

Looks like you found City at the right time then Mr Pop.  

Us old ‘uns have seen some very bleak times over the previous decades, granted with some highlights (courtesy of messrs Dicks, Cooper and Jordan in particular)

The Gate used to be a right dump and the only upgrades used to be the occasional lick of paint.  Still got fond memories of the atmosphere, but football has changed massively and we won’t see that again, as people wouldn’t put up with those ramshackle conditions now.

Bottom line is, AG is an absolute palace compared to that old ground and although there had been plenty of talk about ground improvements over many years, very little of note actually happened until SL threw his millions at it.

Amazing how short or selective memories some fans have!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Looks like you found City at the right time then Mr Pop.  

Us old ‘uns have seen some very bleak times over the previous decades, granted with some highlights (courtesy of messrs Dicks, Cooper and Jordan in particular)

The Gate used to be a right dump and the only upgrades used to be the occasional lick of paint.  Still got fond memories of the atmosphere, but football has changed massively and we won’t see that again, as people wouldn’t put up with those ramshackle conditions now.

Bottom line is, AG is an absolute palace compared to that old ground and although there had been plenty of talk about ground improvements over many years, very little of note actually happened until SL threw his millions at it.

Amazing how short or selective memories some fans have!

I think so BR.

I remember it sort of partially modern but not fully. For example Dolman still had wooden seats and SL funded it as you say, I recall the mooted Hengrove Park move e.g.

A dump in some ways although did quite like the ground then. East End even in its modern less old school form, Williams- as mentioned Dolman had wooden seats, and on Williams a bit of it there was a bit that faced the away end. Went in there a few times in late 2000s, went in East End overspill once in 2008, wish had got a season ticket in there tbh.

Would say so. By any objective measure, the last two decades have been at a higher average level (which division etc) than the prior 2. Whether it's a positive ROI or whether the investment has been well enough spent on the pitch well that's another debate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Spent last night with a Charlton supporting mate, who took me through the latest of their basket case owners.

There is a phrase about grass and how green it is somewhere else….

A West Brom fan was telling me their owner turned down a £50m bid for the club because he wants £175m!

He has just borrowed £20m from the rather notorious Macquarry bank to cover day to day costs, the club having already loaned £5m to his Chinese business.

With parachute payments ending this season Albion fans fear big trouble if they don't go up this season.

I have been highly critical of Steve's strategic and football decisions but at least he isn't dodgy.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think so BR.

I remember it sort of partially modern but not fully. For example Dolman still had wooden seats and SL funded it as you say, I recall the mooted Hengrove Park move e.g.

A dump in some ways although did quite like the ground then. East End even in its modern less old school form, Williams- as mentioned Dolman had wooden seats, and on Williams a bit of it there was a bit that faced the away end. Went in there a few times in late 2000s, went in East End overspill once in 2008, wish had got a season ticket in there tbh.

Would say so. By any objective measure, the last two decades have been at a higher average level (which division etc) than the prior 2. Whether it's a positive ROI or whether the investment has been well enough spent on the pitch well that's another debate.

Look at what we have to watch the City in,it’s bloody magnificent,granted we are skint now but have a manager who will guide as through these tough times.OTIB is not the real feeling of city fans.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Spent last night with a Charlton supporting mate, who took me through the latest of their basket case owners.

Yep, we all know how this usually ends.

Don't know the actual stats but would guess that 8, or even 9, out of 10 times an owner sells up to someone wealthier in an attempt to move a club forward...

...it goes tits up.

Whatever the actual stats, the odds are still that SL will pass the baton to someone who fails, quite possibly disastrously, rather than someone who turns out to be a roaring success. 

Given he chose so many unsuitable managers, at the very least I'm praying he's asked someone else to find us a suitable new owner rather than do it himself. Or ask Jonboy. 

It's going to be a massive roll of the dice either way. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Yeah? Spent last night with a Brentford supporting mate, and a Brighton supporting mate. Got loads of mates, me. Tomorrow, I'm spending the night with a Leicester supporting mate. And a Plymuff supporting mate. 

Don't have a Few supporting mate, though. Wouldn't spend the night with him/her if I did, mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

A West Brom fan was telling me their owner turned down a £50m bid for the club because he wants £175m!

He has just borrowed £20m from the rather notorious Macquarry bank to cover day to day costs, the club having already loaned £5m to his Chinese business.

With parachute payments ending this season Albion fans fear big trouble if they don't go up this season.

I have been highly critical of Steve's strategic and football decisions but at least he isn't dodgy.

And according to the BBC he has failed to pay the £5m back today, which was the extended deadline date......

• Thanks 2