IGNORED

How many good decisions have the Lansdowns made

BigAl&Toby

Asking for a friend. 

Don’t post nonsense on here about stadium developments or the academy. Or funding closes.

Thinking about it, the latter two might be valid. My friend wants to know what the Ls have done where it matters - on the green stuff. Or decisions they’ve made that directly affect that.

Is there account in credit, or overdrawn?

Me? Massively in debt. Maybe even bankrupt. I’m struggling to think of one……

Help my friend. Name some of his footballing successes…….

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4
  • Hmmm 1

Every time I attend the Gate on a match day I enjoy that brilliant stadium, it’s impossible not to enjoy the match day experience and think about where we have come from facility wise. You have to believe that when it comes ‘right’ on the pitch, the green stuff, everything is in place.  
That is the Lansdown legacy, and thanks to them we will never go bust.  The playing side and the facilities go hand in glove.  we will get it right on the pitch, I have more confidence about that now than have had for a long time…NP had a difficult hand to play. 

• Like 13

They’ve provided the infrastructure - as good a platform for success on the pitch as one could hope for in the Championship.

If you want a ‘green stuff’ direct benefit, supporting the Academy and Tins would be one straight off the top of my head, as would a prolonged period (for us) in the Championship. 

Certainly not a faultless performance, but far rather the Bristol born and bred  Lansdown’s, than some foreign investor out to make a quick buck/yen/camel etc with zero connection to the City or our Club. 

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Asking for a friend. 

Don’t post nonsense on here about stadium developments or the academy. Or funding closes.

Thinking about it, the latter two might be valid. My friend wants to know what the Ls have done where it matters - on the green stuff. Or decisions they’ve made that directly affect that.

Why ask if you've already made up your mind?

• Like 1

To your po

30 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Asking for a friend. 

Taking your infrastructure point out of the answer (as the stadium redevelopment and the HPC would be two good decisions) I would say they’ve made three good decisions: 

Appointing GJ, appointing SC and supporting Tinnion and the development of the academy. 

Edited by One Team

They have been here twenty years. They have got things wrong - some managerial appointments, most of us would say appointing Ashton, most of our transfer business in January 2018 and summer 2019 - and got things right, such as investing in the academy, bringing Tinnion back after his spell as manager and the appointments of Gary Johnson, Steve Cotterill and probably Richard Gould.

Being blunt, I think your friend is an impulsive fool with no sense of perspective, who can very easily be proven wrong. Since Lansdown took over, we have remained a relatively stable club moving between the top end of one division and the lower to middle end of another, with more time spent doing a bit better than the mean than a bit worse than the mean. Had we been the disaster your friend thinks, we would be at least a division lower than we currently are.

Obviously the results to show from Lansdown’s reign are disappointing and it is hard to paint his time in charge as a huge success but it is far harder still to objectively paint it as a disaster.

I honestly don’t understand the need for the melodrama of the original post and I think nonsense like this weakens the impact of objective justified criticism of the club’s direction of travel. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 4

30 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Asking for a friend. 

21 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

"Don't post answers that prove me wrong"

17 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Tell your friend he’s an idiot 

8 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Every time I attend the Gate on a match day I enjoy that brilliant stadium, it’s impossible not to enjoy the match day experience and think about where we have come from facility wise. You have to believe that when it comes ‘right’ on the pitch, the green stuff, everything is in place.  
That is the Lansdown legacy, and thanks to them we will never go bust.  The playing side and the facilities go hand in glove.  we will get it right on the pitch, I have more confidence about that now than have had for a long time…NP had a difficult hand to play. 

6 minutes ago, RedRock said:

They’ve provided the infrastructure - as good a platform for success on the pitch as one could hope for in the Championship.

If you want a ‘green stuff’ direct benefit, supporting the Academy and Tins would be one straight off the top of my head, as would a prolonged period (for us) in the Championship. 

Certainly not a faultless performance, but far rather the Bristol born and bred  Lansdown’s, than some foreign investor out to make a quick buck/yen/camel etc with zero connection to the City or our Club. 

3 minutes ago, grifty said:

Why ask if you've already made up your mind?

The answers Pretty much cover the original post. 

We have spent four years out of the last 112 in the top flight which makes Mr Lansdown the second most successful Head of Bristol City of the entire period. 

The constant aggression toward the Lansdown’s is completely out of order. The infrastructure at the club and the ability to bring events to south Bristol is enormous!

The only criticism I level at him and still do is throwing the clubs money down the toilet on Lee Bloody Johnson, leading us to the crappy hand we have. The fact he oversaw Ashton and Johnson dismantle the entire policy he put in place is super annoying particularly when he said my money my choice, which was only partially true!

However, what we are currently is an established Chapionship club. Something we yearned for after 82. 

Thus tell your mate the above and ask him to stop getting you to post undisguised drivel for him!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

He’s got an agenda, or a theme at least.

I’ve lost count of the number of threads slagging off the Lansdowns the OP has made. I can only assume Maggie (or Steve, or Jon) turned down his romantic overtures and he’s held a grudge since. 

The vast majority of the fanbase acknowledges that the Lansdowns aren’t perfect and have made some iffy onfield choices. However, they also acknowledge and understand that the quickest way to make a small fortune from football is to start with a big fortune. And no, they won’t recoup their losses from a small housing development at Ashton Vale.

If it takes a lot of energy to hate, the OP must be permanently knackered. I can’t be bothered to engage with him. I just feel sorry for him.

Like you say...it's tiresome. I'm all for debate on any subject. 

The timing just irks and speaks a thousand words. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Asking for a friend. 

How often do you speak to 'your friend'?  

Maybe you need to talk to someone who can help with that.  Make things seem a little calmer.  Best to start with your GP.

37 minutes ago, spudski said:

FFS...you wake up from a decent hard earned point on the road, and your first thought is to post this. ????

That’s OTIB for you mate!

I must say i have woken up fairly positive this morning after last nights hard earned point.

In regards to the OP, i have been as critical of any of Steve Lansdown on this forum over the years. There have been some absolutely shocking on field decisions and i think backing LJ and Ashton with the money that he did was arguably one of the worst if not the worst one of them all.

Im certain SL is kicking himself privately for that now as he will know that had that money been entrusted to proper footballing people we would have at LEAST of had a shot at the play-offs again by now and possibly more. 

At least when all is said and done though and Steve does finally sell the club we have without a doubt been left in a better place off the field than we were in 2002. A superb 27,000 seater stadium still with scope to expand (if the new owners really wanted too) and a fantastic training facility. For that i think he should be applauded.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you think back over your last 20 years how many of your decisions that turned out not to be great, did you know before hand would poor ones ?

If you think SL has spent hundreds of millions of his own money, deliberately  trying not to be successful, then I think you need to seek help. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Asking for a friend. 

If you don't count the trophies that he's won at Man City, then you'd have to say that Pep has generally been a bit of a failure and failed to win any trophies there..!

4 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Edited by Bar BS3

I mean we came one one win away from promotion to the Premier League under his ownership, god forbid we mention turning Ashton Gate into a modern Stadium or developing the training facilities that has produced LLoyd Kelly, Bobby Reid, Joe Bryan or more recently Cameron Pring, Tommy Conway, Alex Scott etc

Essentially what you're asking is "What has Lansdown done other than all the good things he's done so I can feel justified in wanting him out?". Lansdown may not be perfect but compare him to some owners and what we do have is someone who supports the club both as a fan and in funding, I don't know many other owners who would sell off shares in their company and inject it into a club so they could modernise their stadium. Maybe we need to sell up, Mike Ashley would probably buy us, that'd be an improvement right..... /s

• Like 7

They’ve done so many great things for this club.

The Achilles heel has been over backing of Johnson snr and Jnr in excessive transfer spending, and then paying for it in the years that followed as  more experienced managers have been asked to cut their cloth accordingly. 

the most recent incarnation of this scenario was the worst as it was orchestrated by the utter turd known as mark Ashton who clearly wasn’t half as clever as he or the lansdowns thought he was.

that is why Nigel Pearson should be supported now by us all. Careful what you wish for as another yes man with no credentials is probably next on the rank.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

27 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

They’ve done so many great things for this club.

The Achilles heel has been over backing of Johnson snr and Jnr in excessive transfer spending, and then paying for it in the years that followed as  more experienced managers have been asked to cut their cloth accordingly. 

the most recent incarnation of this scenario was the worst as it was orchestrated by the utter turd known as mark Ashton who clearly wasn’t half as clever as he or the lansdowns thought he was.

that is why Nigel Pearson should be supported now by us all. Careful what you wish for as another yes man with no credentials is probably next on the rank.

Exactly, the nepotistic Gary and his idiot son (who kept far more talented players out of the play-off side) have been the biggest mistakes made by SL, regardless we are a championship club with great facilities, hope, stability and potential - it's a package, not individual elements. I'm getting cheesed off by the Landsdown haters, a bunch of entitled dimwits with no right to expect and no brain to debate! 

• Like 2

I think Steve Lansdown has been a fantastic owner.

Yes he's made some appointments that haven't worked out but which owner hasn't. He's always backed the manager, yes we are now in trouble for that with FFP but he has put his money where his mouth is.

Being an older supporter who remembers the old Div 1 days he almost got us to the promised land.

People say the Johnsons were a mistake - really Gary took us to within 90 mins of the Prem and Lee's record is pretty good too. Other than Alan Dicks who has actually finished higher in the last 50 years.

I want SL to stay as owner, he is stable and won't run away when the going gets tough. We could end up like Derby or the gas who thought they were going to be the next Chelsea.

I just say be careful what you wish for.

• Like 7

Your “friend” isn’t very clever is he?

Before the Lansdowns (1980s onwards) we were broadly a third tier club with an awkward stadium (however much affection people felt for it).

Since the Lansdowns we are an established second tier club with a superb stadium and facilities.

You can’t separate the infrastructure from the football as easily as you suggest. They come as a package e.g. attracting players to sign for us. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1