IGNORED

Four Lionesses Receive Honours

And Its Smith

“Members of England's Euro 2022-winning Lionesses squad are among the sporting figures recognised in the New Year's Honours list.

Captain Leah Williamson is appointed OBE while player of the tournament Beth Mead, Lucy Bronze and Ellen White become MBEs.

They won England's first major football trophy since the men's 1966 World Cup.”

This is a bit of a disgrace in my opinion. The whole squad should be honoured.  Keira Walsh was probably the player of the tournament but she receives nothing. It’s a team game so to pick out individual players is weird and wouldn’t happen to the men’s team.  When England Men won the Ashes they were all honoured including Paul Collingwood, who played one game. And that is beating one team, not winning a whole tournament.  If England Men won the Euros they would all receive them. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

59 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

“Members of England's Euro 2022-winning Lionesses squad are among the sporting figures recognised in the New Year's Honours list.

Captain Leah Williamson is appointed OBE while player of the tournament Beth Mead, Lucy Bronze and Ellen White become MBEs.

This is a bit of a disgrace in my opinion. The whole squad should be honoured.  Keira Walsh was probably the player of the tournament but she receives nothing. It’s a team game so to pick out individual players is weird and wouldn’t happen to the men’s team.  When England Men won the Ashes they were all honoured including Paul Collingwood, who played one game. And that is beating one team, not winning a whole tournament.  If England Men won the Euros they would all receive them. 

Walsh got nowhere near enough credit as it was and this compounds it. Being a brilliant deep lying playmaker doesn't seem to cut it for some reason but there is a reason she recently went for a record fee.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m sure you’re not alone in thinking that. Highlighting just four players when it was the squad that won it just isn’t fair on the other squad members.

Being given an MBE for playing football (or in Brian Mays case for playing a guitar, in Stephen Grahams and David Harewoods case for acting and in Chris Bryant’s case for being an MP?)

Its literally their job.

The honours system is an outdated relic from a prior deferential age and should be axed. Notably people such as Bowie have turned down gongs in the past.

As for the lionesses, I agree it should have been all or none. There is, however, the possibility that some of the squad feel like Bowie/George Michael did and didn’t want to accept which may be a reason for only a few getting it.

• Like 13

I don't think there is a pattern to it tbh.  I think it depends on who's picking people for the list, and what sports they like.  Most of those honored there are either long serving or the captains.  It's a bit unfair but then the new year's honours have always been a bit odd like that to be fair. 

42 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Being given an MBE for playing football (or in Brian Mays case for playing a guitar, in Stephen Grahams and David Harewoods case for acting and in Chris Bryant’s case for being an MP?)

Its literally their job.

The honours system is an outdated relic from a prior deferential age and should be axed. Notably people such as Bowie have turned down gongs in the past.

As for the lionesses, I agree it should have been all or none. There is, however, the possibility that some of the squad feel like Bowie/George Michael did and didn’t want to accept which may be a reason for only a few getting it.

Everyone has different reasons for accepting them. When Elvis Costello (certainly no Royalist) accepted his he said, that after long deliberation, he decided it was a way of honouring his parents and Grandparents who were involved in 2 World Wars whilst gaining little or no recognition for their service.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Its literally their job.

What? It's not doing their job, it's for being exceptional in their job for a variety of reasons - longevity, selflessness, achievements, etc.

I'm not going to get one for turning up at my 9-5. But winning a European tournament for their nation, doing something for charity, contributing to an art sector in the way that Brian May/many actors have probably do deserve recognition from the royal family. You'll find that many of the people who receive Knighthoods, MBEs, OBEs, etc are extremely proud of receiving one. To base the honour system on "What would David Bowie do?" is frankly strange.

• Flames 3

The argument is that if you give a gong to everyone who played, you will have some who came on for five minutes or so getting one too. Then you think about the non-playing squad members. Should they get one as well? The coaches? (Weigman is now an honourary CBE, note.) The kitman? The agents? Et cetera...

The protracted and illogical way the boys of '66 finally got something is a prime example of the lack of consistency in the honours system. After all, who gives the nod (in any field, not just football)? Certainly not Charles III. It is an environment where there are lots of opinions but not a great deal of substance. Either way, the list tries to highlight some of the things that go on that don't really get the publicity at times and we would be in a poorer state if they did not happen. Yes, it's a strange and puzzling system.

51 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Its literally their job.

Too many highly dishonourble individuals, such as Jimmy Savile and Rolf Harris,  have been awarded an honour of some kind (thankfully some have have their honours stripped).

Likewise, many have bought their honours by offering favours or donating large sums of money to political parties and the establishment.

Might have been a good thing in principle at it's inception (arguably), but the present-day honours system has been corrupted and discredited.

• Like 4

The same happened with the men’s squad in 1966.  Several of the winning team had to wait decades before their achievement was recognised.

That said, the honours system is clearly corrupt and only values those people lucky enough to have well-paid jobs, or to be celebrities.  The everyday achievements of ‘ordinary people’ are just as notable, but inevitably ignored.  And I’m always a little perplexed by ‘services to charity’, which usually means asking other people to donate money!

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, grifty said:

What? It's not doing their job, it's for being exceptional in their job for a variety of reasons - longevity, selflessness, achievements, etc.

I'm not going to get one for turning up at my 9-5. But winning a European tournament for their nation, doing something for charity, contributing to an art sector in the way that Brian May/many actors have probably do deserve recognition from the royal family. You'll find that many of the people who receive Knighthoods, MBEs, OBEs, etc are extremely proud of receiving one. To base the honour system on "What would David Bowie do?" is frankly strange.

It literally is for doing their job, and nobody is denying they’ve done it well, but they’re doing their job. I’d imagine you do your 9-5 job exceptionally well with selflessness and longevity also, but as you rightly say you wont get an MBE for doing so.

It’s not basing it on “What would Bowie do” (although that would be a useful life philosophy absent the copious drugs), it’s saying that the honours system is corrupt, disparate and based on an empire that no longer exists. I’m not sure why anyone in this day and age wants “recognition from the royal family” but the honours system does perpetuate the deference to them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, grifty said:

So why did Gavin Williamson get a knighthood ? 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I think the honours system was diluted somewhat during Tony Blair’s prime ministership. One year loads of sports people received honours (can’t remember the details) possibly for winning the ashes or something, or winning Olympic gold, while Sir Steve Redgrave had to wait 20 years or so and five consecutive gold medals for recognition. They started handing them out like boiled sweets. 

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I think the honours system was diluted somewhat during Tony Blair’s prime ministership. One year loads of sports people received honours (can’t remember the details) possibly for winning the ashes or something, or winning Olympic gold, while Sir Steve Redgrave had to wait 20 years or so and five consecutive gold medals for recognition. They started handing them out like boiled sweets. 

Hard to find boiled sweets anywhere these days…unless they are in those round tins in petrol stations with petrol station prices ???

(and they usually have laxative effect!)

HNY Max

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Hard to find boiled sweets anywhere these days…unless they are in those round tins in petrol stations with petrol station prices ???

(and they usually have laxative effect!)

HNY Max

They’ve been commandeered by the government. ?
Try Wilko! 

HNY Dave, and your family. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grifty said:

According to Wikipedia he was nominated by Boris Johnson. Not quite sure why you weren't able to check that yourself?

He still got a knighthood.  Whoever nominated him matters not.   It’s a ‘ing sham and corrupt that a useless, destructive charlatan like him gets any honour and only serves to back up what is being said about the honours system on this thread.   Outdated and pointless.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

The only surprise during that time was Noel Gallagher didn’t get one for playing the guitar 

• Like 1