IGNORED

Coventry City away match thread

1 minute ago, daored said:

Wells in for Conway only change 

Thought Williams might have started after James & Scott got through so much work at Millwall, always expected Wells to start.

Happy enough with that, have to think those fit & not involved today can all go if we can do a deal.

3 minutes ago, Midred said:

Just emptying the bottle, Tone?

Still a bit to go (ok not much) and enjoying the sunshine in the garden at the same time. There is a replacement that can come off the bench though.

3 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

8E672E8E-14A2-42C8-B153-0E81930C8B20.jpeg

Looks ok

Edited by BigTone
31 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

There is way too much focus on positions, football is fluid. I'd rather have Weimann on the pitch over Tanner. Weimann has played a fair amount on the right flank and is not good in a deeper role in midfield. If we want to set up with a flatter three in midfield then it should in theory allow the wide players to start 10 yards higher. 

532, 352, 3142, 3412 are all variations we have played. The only real constant being 3 at the back and two CF's. 

And yeah, 50% is a pretty random number plucked. I tend to base my opinion on the overall performance and try to discount errors. They happen, but they don't mean a the tactical decision was wrong. I understood Nige trying to replicate Naismith's role with King. I probably wouldn't have done it, but our entire identity in the good period of form at the start of the season came through that deep pivot player breaking lines with passes. It's the closest to elite football we've played in my life so I get why Nige wanted to try facilitate that continuing. 

Trouble is, it didn't work as effectively and as a result the confidence of the midfield and forwards has dropped, so we now need to build ourselves back to that. 

It’s all great in principle, this idea that there is too much focus on formations, but as you state in your last paragraph, it didn’t work. Why would it against Matt Phillips someone who is aggressive, direct, quick and experienced. Alternatively, if you want him on the pitch why not play him upfront as a striker? That would be more logical.

25 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

He wasn’t trying to be clever. He decided that he needed to play 3 in midfield and 2 upfront rather than 2 with 1+2 which we had been playing. Wells and Conway up front with 3 in midfield (Williams, Scott, James) leaves no place for Weimann. If you think it’s worth shoehorning him in to the team for what he can offer then it has to be at wing back.

Against Millwall be decided that he wanted to go back to 2, 1+2.

Seems pretty simple to me.

The reason he went back to Weimann in midfield is because of how dire we were against West Brom. At least he is learning from the mistake. This 352 2+1 point you’re trying to make is irrelevant as Weimann didn’t play in front of the 2 midfielders. 

Edited by Vidal
Clarity
Just now, Davefevs said:

Plus Williams to replace a midfielder is a good option too.

Touch wood it seems he is over the worst of his injuries with us. I can’t help but feel that they have had a long last legacy though, he doesn’t seem to have the dynamism he had at Wigan, and has lost some pace.

• Like 1

I hope we can build on the steady performance on Thursday. Keeping a clean sheet and looking a lot more settled should really give the team a bit more encouragement.

With the sheep shaggers across the ditch having lost to Blackburn, 3 points for us would provide another leg up and away from the bottom three.

A Wells brace for a 2-1 win.

COYR.

Just now, Vidal said:

Touch wood it seems he is over the worst of his injuries with us. I can’t help but feel that they have had a long last legacy though, he doesn’t seem to have the dynamism he had at Wigan, and has lost some pace.

I think he’s had to change his game because of the damage done.  He is definitely not the player we signed, who I had high hopes for, nor is he the player who tried to get through last season and still “broke down a bit”.  I don’t think he can do those lung-busting box-to-box, high intense stuff he used to.  Big shame.  Can still do a job for us, but not the one we originally bought him to do.

• Like 3
Just now, Davefevs said:

I think he’s had to change his game because of the damage done.  He is definitely not the player we signed, who I had high hopes for, nor is he the player who tried to get through last season and still “broke down a bit”.  I don’t think he can do those lung-busting box-to-box, high intense stuff he used to.  Big shame.  Can still do a job for us, but not the one we originally bought him to do.

Completely agree with this.