IGNORED

Coventry City away match thread

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Wells for Conway will happen. Not sure of any others. Maybe Williams for James.  Or Williams for Tanner with Scott moving to RWB but that’s doubtful I’d say. 

Ought to be going with an unchanged starting 11 from the Millwall game, with the exception of Wells for Conway. Hopefully we will never see AW wasted at RWB again! 

• Like 1

I think we're going to struggle to keep Gyökeres quiet, he's a great player.

Will be interesting to see how Bristol City legend Kasey Palmer performs. Also Todd Kane and Liam Kelly, both of which looked decent players when they played for us about 10 years ago.

Edited by DaveF

More snippets from their forum;

They’ve scored more goals than us and 2 of the teams in the top 6 They play the opposite of Cardiff

I'm glad that they look like resting Semenyo following his reappearance from injury against Millwall. Good player on his day.

They have 3 big lummocks at the back. Running at them is our best bet. Think they'll mop up most of the aerial stuff

If they come at us I fancy our chances. We’re at our best on the counter. If they sit off and play for a draw it’ll be 0-0 or 0-1

What can we expect from Cov:

3B109068-9794-41ED-98F2-DC7C0EBE1C22.thumb.jpeg.eb2cb0fc39308545a58d981cec2805e8.jpeg 
A team / system that’s not really changed since they came up, that “box” in midfield with the lone striker.

Back three - all capable of playing out from the back, Rose - once a target of ours, and should be again as OOC in the summer.  Doyle - Alex Scott’s Eng u19 teammate who scored the equaliser in the final and Panzo - reminds me very much of very early Lloyd Kelly.

Wings Backs - Fankaty Dabo (Fan-daby-dozy)- a Mark Little type on the right, and Bidwell - a very solid Champ competitor on the other.

Midfield - Hamer - a very talented passer with the temperament of the petulant kid in the playground, Sheaf - providing protection (?) for the back three.  One of the top CMs in the champ imho, god knows why they initially tried to get out of their obligation to buy him following his loan.  Allen (formerly of Rochdale) was the best CM opponent imho when we got promoted in 14/15, and we all know about Palmer.  I’d rather be opposing KP than the injured O’Hare who is a very difficult player to pick up.

And up top, Gyokeres, exactly what you want for a Lone Ranger, a willing runner, strong, who can finish.

Will be a tough game, aren’t they all, and stopping the back three getting it into Hamer and Sheaf and facing up our midfield will be a key element of whether we can get something from this game.  Expect Weimann to be key to marking / blocking these two.  Expect Semenyo and Wells to put in a shift splitting the 3 CBs.  If Pring can pressure Dabo’s first touch, that will stop one line of their attack.  Tanner v Bidwell, if we stay with the same WBs could be very tasty, neither hold back.

Unsure whether Nige will rotate either of Scott or James, I think he’ll go the same.  And I’m very comfortable with Big Rob marking Gyokeres, that’s not to say it’ll be easy, but I think it’s a good match up.  The big question is whether Allen and Palmer press Vyner and Naismith or whether they sit in and screen our midfield and make us play down the sides.  I think it is dangerous to let Naismith have time on the ball, so I think they may press our left side with Allen, but screen when Zak has it.  If so, important Zak starts to impose himself on the ball like he started to on Thursday.  His carrying of the ball really disrupted Millwall and opened up space when they tried to stop him.

Without McFadzean (what a thorn he’s been over the years) and Hyam (now Blackburn) this is a Cov defence without the physicality of previous seasons, and I really hope Semenyo’s second half improvement, continues today.

So, in summary my four key players for City…Weimann, Naismith, Vyner and Semenyo.

COYRs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 31/12/2022 at 11:13, CodeRed said:

"And finally, we go back to Monopoly, for a quick quiz question. Along with Coventry Street what other three squares on a Monopoly board also carry the name of an English football team?"

Oxford (Street), Leicester (Square), Liverpool (Street Station) 

Liverpool (street station)

8 minutes ago, 22A said:

More snippets from their forum;

They’ve scored more goals than us and 2 of the teams in the top 6 They play the opposite of Cardiff

I'm glad that they look like resting Semenyo following his reappearance from injury against Millwall. Good player on his day.

They have 3 big lummocks at the back. Running at them is our best bet. Think they'll mop up most of the aerial stuff

If they come at us I fancy our chances. We’re at our best on the counter. If they sit off and play for a draw it’ll be 0-0 or 0-1

3 big lummocks at the back! Our three CBs may be many things but `big lummocks` is not one of them.

I really liked the set up of our back 3 v Millwall. So I’m hoping for the same again today.

The calmness of Vyner and Naismith, with Atkinson in the middle really works, not sure why we haven’t done it sooner?

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've got a good feeling about today.

I'm predicting a 1-3 to us. 

And Palmer to get sent off :laugh:

Our last penalty was against Cov at their place. Could it be?

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

I really liked the set up of our back 3 v Millwall. So I’m hoping for the same again today.

The calmness of Vyner and Naismith, with Atkinson in the middle really works, not sure why we haven’t done it sooner?

NP trying to be too clever. It also helped that we had two natural full/wing backs in Tanner and Pring, both are defensively minded (even though Pring can bomb on).  

I have mentioned in other threads that NP has created rods for his own back with some of his selection decisions, only he will see the logic. 

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

I didn't realise that. 

I agree about our back 3...looked far more solid and productive. Just need some consistency now.

Coventry's weaknesses are defending against wide play, crosses, counter attacks and through balls. Which I'd say is how we play.

Fingers crossed

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What can we expect from Cov:

3B109068-9794-41ED-98F2-DC7C0EBE1C22.thumb.jpeg.eb2cb0fc39308545a58d981cec2805e8.jpeg 
A team / system that’s not really changed since they came up, that “box” in midfield with the lone striker.

Back three - all capable of playing out from the back, Rose - once a target of ours, and should be again as OOC in the summer.  Doyle - Alex Scott’s Eng u19 teammate who scored the equaliser in the final and Panzo - reminds me very much of very early Lloyd Kelly.

Wings Backs - Fankaty Dabo (Fan-daby-dozy)- a Mark Little type on the right, and Bidwell - a very solid Champ competitor on the other.

Midfield - Hamer - a very talented passer with the temperament of the petulant kid in the playground, Sheaf - providing protection (?) for the back three.  One of the top CMs in the champ imho, god knows why they initially tried to get out of their obligation to buy him following his loan.  Allen (formerly of Rochdale) was the best CM opponent imho when we got promoted in 14/15, and we all know about Palmer.  I’d rather be opposing KP than the injured O’Hare who is a very difficult player to pick up.

And up top, Gyokeres, exactly what you want for a Lone Ranger, a willing runner, strong, who can finish.

Will be a tough game, aren’t they all, and stopping the back three getting it into Hamer and Sheaf and facing up our midfield will be a key element of whether we can get something from this game.  Expect Weimann to be key to marking / blocking these two.  Expect Semenyo and Wells to put in a shift splitting the 3 CBs.  If Pring can pressure Dabo’s first touch, that will stop one line of their attack.  Tanner v Bidwell, if we stay with the same WBs could be very tasty, neither hold back.

Unsure whether Nige will rotate either of Scott or James, I think he’ll go the same.  And I’m very comfortable with Big Rob marking Gyokeres, that’s not to say it’ll be easy, but I think it’s a good match up.  The big question is whether Allen and Palmer press Vyner and Naismith or whether they sit in and screen our midfield and make us play down the sides.  I think it is dangerous to let Naismith have time on the ball, so I think they may press our left side with Allen, but screen when Zak has it.  If so, important Zak starts to impose himself on the ball like he started to on Thursday.  His carrying of the ball really disrupted Millwall and opened up space when they tried to stop him.

Without McFadzean (what a thorn he’s been over the years) and Hyam (now Blackburn) this is a Cov defence without the physicality of previous seasons, and I really hope Semenyo’s second half improvement, continues today.

So, in summary my four key players for City…Weimann, Naismith, Vyner and Semenyo.

COYRs.

Burroughs in for Dabo I reckon.  Most Coventry fans opinion I see if that he is a step up on Dabo 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

And who was the ref?

Jeremy Simpson

Who is the ref today?

Jeremy Simpson

F5F948D1-32EC-4867-810F-73D371A54BC4.thumb.jpeg.db8f78830758ab1df69027c44ac445b7.jpeg

in terms of giving us 2 pens in 18 games, it’s about as nailed on as you can get….unfortunately he’s give 4 against us too ???

21 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

And the last time we had an opposition player sent off ? That was a truly depressing game

The lady Coventry fan in the OP says of Ernie Hunt's famous donkey kick goal, that 'if he did it another 100 times it probably wouldn't have gone in again'.

Not so, although forcibly adapted due to Willie Carr's style of flick-up being outlawed, Ernie Hunt scored a very similar goal for City in a 2-2 draw at West Brom. in 1974.

This time it was Gerry Gow flicking the ball up for Hunt to volley home.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

I think we're going to struggle to keep Gyökeres quiet, he's a great player.

Will be interesting to see how Bristol City legend Kasey Palmer performs. Also Todd Kane and Liam Kelly, both of which looked decent players when they played for us about 10 years ago.

I think Kelly is perma-injured, and KP often starts on the bench...sounds familiar eh. Their squad is threadbare right now, injuries + a small squad in any event, so we may well see Kasey from the start today.

Removing O'Hare is like removing their heartbeat and Hamer isn't having the best season either, so every little helps.

Edited by GlastonburyRed