IGNORED

Alex Scott/Josh Brownhill

And Its Smith

Brownhill was & Scott is, a class above.

The lad is still only 19 yet has already played 65 Championship games.

Those moaning about him will be complaining that we sold him when he inevitably leaves.

He has done remarkably well to play so much football at this level & will certainly have a career in The Prem.

• Like 14
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Not sure if I’m surprised or not at him being one of the new whipping boys for minimal errors. Slating a 19 year old wonder kid is probably as OTIB as it gets tbf

Someone said today they ‘didn’t care what he does off the ball’.  Pretty sure when he leaves and there are gaps in midfield and passing lanes not being cut out, he will care!!

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

A few critical posts about Alex Scott on the match day thread today. But for me, that is the type of very good display that (a) goes unnoticed and (b) will be hugely missed when he leaves.   I was surprised when there was a bit of a underwhelming reaction when Josh Brownhill left. A lot of fans seemed to think we wouldn’t miss him but it was proved how pivotal he was for us when he was here.  

Today, Scott put in a bit of a Brownhill display. Lots of work off of the ball, many ball recoveries, didn’t stop closing down (even sprinting 90th minute to do so) and crucially he was the one making the passes.  A few sloppy passes but 80% accuracy against a team average of 65% and he made twice as many passes as his midfield partner, Matty James.  I think he made 20% of our team passes.  That shows what a role he played today. On and off the ball, very good.  I’m quite pragmatic when players leave and don’t miss many but definitely going to miss him and would imagine he’s only got 20 odd games left for us 

In central midfield, he is doing the all round job that we may have thought that Han Noah was bought for. And doing it a lot better!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

He was very good today, just two mistakes that will stick in peoples minds. If we lose him in January, and don’t utilise the money VERY wisely, we’re in the poop.

Yep, those are the stupid things that stick in the negativerati on here.  Did lots of good stuff today, both on and off the ball today.

Palmer sat on James today and gave him an uncomfortable opening 25 mins until he got a grip.  Scott kept us going in that spell, and I liked that he gave KN a bollocking second half for not passing early to him.  I like that.

Lets not forget how old Brownhill was before we started seeing his true ability.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Someone said today they ‘didn’t care what he does off the ball’.  Pretty sure when he leaves and there are gaps in midfield and passing lanes not being cut out, he will care!!

Saying it doesn’t matter what a footballer does off the ball is like saying it doesn’t matter what a tennis player does after they’ve hit the ball, very odd. Totally agree with your original post (and this one), thought he had a great game. Whilst James didn’t play as well as Scott, was good to see him have a word/arm round shoulder when Alex did misplace a pass. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Saying it doesn’t matter what a footballer does off the ball is like saying it doesn’t matter what a tennis player does after they’ve hit the ball, very odd. Totally agree with your original post (and this one), thought he had a great game. Whilst James didn’t play as well as Scott, was good to see him have a word/arm round shoulder when Alex did misplace a pass. 

Roscoe Tanner about to serve - hold my beer ???

Biggest shock here is that we are still surprised that we have a number of “fans” that know very little about football. I know thats the case in a lot of clubs but we seem to have more than our share.

A topic for another day maybe, but we talk alot about the “culture” of our football club not being right, well there is an argument to say that about our fanbase too, and how fickle we can be. I wonder how wanted footballers feel at our club and if that disconnect stops us progressing.

Circa 2000 I sat in the Dolman and listened to - “Tony Thorpe is so lazy - apart from scoring he does nothing”.

Always stayed with me that! 

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

3 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Biggest shock here is that we are still surprised that we have a number of “fans” that know very little about football. I know thats the case in a lot of clubs but we seem to have more than our share.

A topic for another day maybe, but we talk alot about the “culture” of our football club not being right, well there is an argument to say that about our fanbase too, and how fickle we can be. I wonder how wanted footballers feel at our club and if that disconnect stops us progressing.

Circa 2000 I sat in the Dolman and listened to - “Tony Thorpe is so lazy - apart from scoring he does nothing”.

Reminds me of the similar cricket one which Nasser Hussain used to quote about a selector (Gatting?) talking about Graham Thorpe, except he was talking about runs!

• Like 1

I think some criticism was deserved, but even though he has experienced a lot in his fairly short career, he is still learning , those misplaced passes will not be repeated hopefully.
He did some brilliant things in the first half, but whether it was fatigue or just carelessness he did nearly put us in trouble a couple of times. 
He is growing and learning all the time and IMO, will be far better than Brownhill, or at least he has that potential. 
Some of the problem might as we tire, players don't find space and offer the pass as readily. I thought James looked tired too, which wouldn't help. At times he looks like the biggest kid in school, running around the younger/smaller kids with ease.
He is some talent, but at 19 we shouldn't expect him to run & Boss every game and be the finished article just yet.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

41 minutes ago, Vidal said:

I don’t really see the comparison tbh, other than that are both centre midfielders and of a similar build. Brownhill is far more dynamic than Scott, both on and off the ball. 

Scott - aged 19

Brownhill - 27

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomThumb84 said:

Another classic was the wise men on these very pages saying Bobby Reid wasn't good enough for Div1 let alone the championship,?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I think some criticism was deserved, but even though he has experienced a lot in his fairly short career, he is still learning , those misplaced passes will not be repeated hopefully.
He did some brilliant things in the first half, but whether it was fatigue or just carelessness he did nearly put us in trouble a couple of times. 
He is growing and learning all the time and IMO, will be far better than Brownhill, or at least he has that potential. 
Some of the problem might as we tire, players don't find space and offer the pass as readily. I thought James looked tired too, which wouldn't help. At times he looks like the biggest kid in school, running around the younger/smaller kids with ease.
He is some talent, but at 19 we shouldn't expect him to run & Boss every game and be the finished article just yet.

Hes class and when hes gone we will realise james or scott no contest 

I’m not sure many are really critising him, it’s just he started so well last year and he seemed to make more impact on games.

I’m sure someone may correct me with stats on assists / goals but this season, despite being involved, he has not been able to translate his ability with the ball into goals or draw fouls that create good chances.

Perhaps we rely on him too much and perhaps he’s being told to be more disciplined but I think he might be over thinking things - no surprise given his age but we need him to fire - quickly!

9 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

I remember being in the Williams stand when Gary Johnson was managing us. We were playing West Brom and LJ scored. We won the game 1-0. 
A bloke a couple of seats in front of me swore, turned and said to his mate ‘**** - that means he’ll be in the side next week….’

unbelievable Jeff.