IGNORED

Today`s games

Lanterne Rouge

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

You’re missing my point. All these players sold at “immense profit” and Ashton still left us right in the shit. Why do you think that is? The maths is obvious, he was running a club spending way beyond its means. Basic. To answer your question I would suggest it will take another season and a half to get back in a sensible financial footing that negates Ashton’s time here and enables us to compete at the level in a manner we can afford. Pretty much when Nige’s contract runs out.

So- if we get on a firm financial footing in the immediate future as a result of the sale of current players who were developed or signed under the MA years- does that still mean that there's another 18 months of whatever bad that happens is down to MA ( or LJ for some)? Time to move on.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

So there you have it MRR, Numero Uno suggests another 18 months.

See above. Let it be, Dave.

16 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

And for some, if we start winning it will be despite NP and if we’re losing/relegated, it will be because of him.

Yep- I guess that will be the case for some. If we start winning consistently and look like we can seriously challenge towards the play offs then that's entirely 100% down to NP with the reverse also being true.

4 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So- if we get on a firm financial footing in the immediate future as a result of the sale of current players who were developed or signed under the MA years- does that still mean that there's another 18 months of whatever bad that happens is down to MA ( or LJ for some)? Time to move on.

See above. Let it be, Dave.

Yep- I guess that will be the case for some. If we start winning consistently and look like we can seriously challenge towards the play offs then that's entirely 100% down to NP with the reverse also being true.

I can’t let it be!

You want a fixed point, black and white.  The best you’re gonna get to a fixed point / black and white ‘date’ in reality is 3 years after he left.  That’s the cycle of contracts ending that he arranged and hamstrung us.  That’s why the likes of @Numero Unois suggesting summer 2024.  I am of a similar opinion as to how that point is worked out.  All I’m suggesting is that over-performance by the club (it’s not just a Nige-thing) can drag that timescale back to the left.  But it’s not as easy to that.

If we were to get relegated you could argue that it will take longer to recover.  How long did other “regimes” take to recover from previous ones?  Some didn’t, e.g. O’Driscoll never recovered from previous regimes.  But he made it a bit easier for those who followed him, didn’t he?  It’s not a simple answer, hence why we answered now we did.

You just can’t say “if we get on a firm financial footing…”, because if we sell but can’t utilise it (e.g. for FFP reason) we may be financially better off, but have a weaker squad as a result.  Is that recovery?  FFP runs in 3 year cycles (4 because of covid) so you could argue it runs longer that we suggest.

Are you saying you think the Ashton “legacy” is no more and that we’ve had plenty of time to get over his period of time here?  If so, then I can’t agree.  You want to move on.  We still thnk it’s having a considerable impact. But as you asked for a time when we are, a few of us have given you are view.  Up to you if you agree.  But you asked.  We answered.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I can’t let it be!

You want a fixed point, black and white.  The best you’re gonna get to a fixed point / black and white ‘date’ in reality is 3 years after he left.  That’s the cycle of contracts ending that he arranged and hamstrung us.  That’s why the likes of @Numero Unois suggesting summer 2024.  I am of a similar opinion as to how that point is worked out.  All I’m suggesting is that over-performance by the club (it’s not just a Nige-thing) can drag that timescale back to the left.  But it’s not as easy to that.

If we were to get relegated you could argue that it will take longer to recover.  How long did other “regimes” take to recover from previous ones?  Some didn’t, e.g. O’Driscoll never recovered from previous regimes.  But he made it a bit easier for those who followed him, didn’t he?  It’s not a simple answer, hence why we answered now we did.

You just can’t say “if we get on a firm financial footing…”, because if we sell but can’t utilise it (e.g. for FFP reason) we may be financially better off, but have a weaker squad as a result.  Is that recovery?  FFP runs in 3 year cycles (4 because of covid) so you could argue it runs longer that we suggest.

Are you saying you think the Ashton “legacy” is no more and that we’ve had plenty of time to get over his period of time here?  If so, then I can’t agree.  You want to move on.  We still thnk it’s having a considerable impact. But as you asked for a time when we are, a few of us have given you are view.  Up to you if you agree.  But you asked.  We answered.

I'm tired- let it be.

15 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

would you rather Ipswich came up?

Yep for sure. Cracking club with a great history and they always bring a good following here. I don’t care about Mark Ashton.

9 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Why would they hate us? 

They are so geographically isolated that we are pretty much the nearest club to them that’s of a reasonable size, so they try to stir up a rivalry with us. When they went up in 2004 and we didn’t, they mocked us joyously and relentlessly for years, until we went back above them… at which point they went all quiet and we haven’t heard a peep from them since. I’d rather keep it that way.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

They are so geographically isolated that we are pretty much the nearest club to them that’s of a reasonable size, so they try to stir up a rivalry with us. When they went up in 2004 and we didn’t, they mocked us joyously and relentlessly for years, until we went back above them… at which point they went all quiet and we haven’t heard a peep from them since. I’d rather keep it that way.

Plymouth was always a rivalry for me, always a game with a certain edge - but like you say, since we’ve gone back above them, it’s now non-existent.

Its almost like they went…..POP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I'm tired- let it be.

You initiated the debate and have been desperate for people to spell out to you when MA gets forgotten and doesn’t get any blame any more - you then receive some well thought out, in depth answers and your response is ‘let it be’? 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lenred said:

You initiated the debate and have been desperate for people to spell out to you when MA gets forgotten and doesn’t get any blame any more - you then receive some well thought out, in depth answers and your response is ‘let it be’? 

Maybe he's Paul McCartney...?!

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

Sometimes a debate runs its course with no definitive answer at which point it's best to let it be. I've made the comments I wanted to but if you feel you have more tor new material to add then I'm very happy to read it.

4 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Sometimes a debate runs its course with no definitive answer at which point it's best to let it be. I've made the comments I wanted to but if you feel you have more tor new material to add then I'm very happy to read it.

That wasn’t my point though. My point is that you don’t like the answer provided and instead of engaging in a further discussion, or even, god forbid,  acknowledging that there are merits in the responses you were so keen to illicit, you’ve just gone ‘let it be’ which to me comes across as someone who doesn’t like what they’ve heard as they know it’s right.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Plymouth was always a rivalry for me, always a game with a certain edge - but like you say, since we’ve gone back above them, it’s now non-existent.

Its almost like they went…..POP

Exactly. Some of us have long memories! I don’t know what some idiot is confused about. If they go back above us we’ll never hear the end of it. 

Edited by Wanderingred

12 hours ago, lenred said:

That wasn’t my point though. My point is that you don’t like the answer provided and instead of engaging in a further discussion, or even, god forbid,  acknowledging that there are merits in the responses you were so keen to illicit, you’ve just gone ‘let it be’ which to me comes across as someone who doesn’t like what they’ve heard as they know it’s right.  

Yep- maybe.