IGNORED

Oldham and Scunthrorpe

Super

Both in the bottom 4 in the National League, What has happened to both of these clubs? I remember Scunthorpe in the Championship and Oldham being in the PL and in a FA Cup Semi Final. Just shows how you should take nothing for granted.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

This is what Steve Lansdown is keeping us from. Be careful what you wish for. We are so lucky. Etc, etc

I know that's sarcastic but it's true; outside of the premiership with its TV riches then if you don't have a wealthy owner pumping the money in each year then you will fall out of the leagues.

Look at Stockport County who bottomed in the Conference North, Notts County striggling to climb out of the Conference or Torquay falling out of it the wrong way.

I remember when Notts County were in the top division but without the big pockets owner when you start to fall then you keep falling. 

Steve and Jon's decision making regarding the running of the football team is questionable and frequently questioned on here but clubs without the luxury of such wealthy owners fall out of the league regularly.

I would say very much be careful what you wish for with a change of owner.  I wonder what Spencer Trethewy is up to these days.

For our younger readers and those who haven't followed his "career":

He started by "rescuing" Aldershot aged just 19 with £200k that he didn't actually have amd has followed this up with some serious prison time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_Trethewy

• Like 3

I work in Oldham so pretty close to a fair few of their fans.  My best mate at work goes to every game and has done for about 20 years, home and away. They were in league one for over a decade and he always said if they went down they would just keep going down. Years and years of under investment, awful owners, scattergun purchases and clueless manager after clueless manager.  David Unsworth is a new low apparently.  People say that Lee Johnson has never ‘achieved anything’.  What he achieved at Oldham was superb.  They got bought out last year by a local businessman who talked a good game but then appointed his mate Unsworth to royally mess things up on the pitch 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I know that's sarcastic but it's true; outside of the premiership with its TV riches then if you don't have a wealthy owner pumping the money in each year then you will fall out of the leagues.

Look at Stockport County who bottomed in the Conference North, Notts County striggling to climb out of the Conference or Torquay falling out of it the wrong way.

I remember when Notts County were in the top division but without the big pockets owner when you start to fall then you keep falling. 

Steve and Jon's decision making regarding the running of the football team is questionable and frequently questioned on here but clubs without the luxury of such wealthy owners fall out of the league regularly.

I would say very much be careful what you wish for with a change of owner.  I wonder what Spencer Trethewy is up to these days.

He started by "rescuing" Aldershot aged just 19 with £200k that he didn't actually have amd has followed this up with some serious prison time.

Bizarrely that Wikipedia appears accurate (thought that being named as Farnborough manager since 2011 would be due to not updating the site) - checked Farnboroughs site and he is indeed still the boss there. Hope that answers your question!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Stockport, Torquay, Notts Co. And Aldershot. At least we're doing better than Stockport and Torquay?

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Well three points above the relegation zone in January. Hopefully it is still a work in progress for SL.

2 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

This is what Steve Lansdown is keeping us from. Be careful what you wish for. We are so lucky. Etc, etc

Exactly.

It isn’t binary, is it?

The owner who got Huddersfield to the Prem on a bottom six budget, Brighton & Brentford’s owners, Preston & Millwall punching well above their weight without cheating FFP too, what about them?

The “be grateful for Steve Lansdown” brigade surely aren’t seriously comparing us with clubs like Crawley, Stockport, Aldershot etc that are nowhere near us in terms of potential & size?

The reality is we do have some things to be grateful for, the stadium & training facilities are light years better & he has bailed us out financially (though you could also argue some of the mess was made by people he employed) but loads of owners have done a much better job & his record on managerial appointments is pretty horrific.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The “be grateful for Steve Lansdown” brigade surely aren’t seriously comparing us with clubs like Crawley, Stockport, Aldershot etc that are nowhere near us in terms of potential & size?

Notts County are a decent sized club. Oldham, Trannies likewise.

Still, don't let facts get in the way of your prejudice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Super said:

Both in the bottom 4 in the National League, What has happened to both of these clubs? I remember Scunthorpe in the Championship and Oldham being in the PL and in a FA Cup Semi Final. Just shows how you should take nothing for granted.

Doesn’t feel like too long ago that Scunthorpe came up with us from League one in 2007 - madness.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

I'm from around Scunny.. Their owner has been a disgrace the past few years 

Very interesting stuff about this guy from Kieran Maguire on the Price of Football podcast today.

And for a cautionary tale closer to home he talks about West Brom whose owner is even worse than I realised!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

You don't think Nottingham is a big place?!?!?!

Yes, like Bristol (but not as big), Forest probably have two thirds of the support living there.

I can remember County regularly having gates of around 5000 in the 70s & 80s.

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Nat Lge North; https://www.skysports.com/football/competitions/vanarama-national-league-north/table

Eight former League teams. Some of that eight are phoenix teams who've risen from the wreck of the original team.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Loïs said:

Scunthorpe can rot in hell for what they subjected the football world to at the dump end of last season ?

I know what you mean. They don't have a lot of sympathy from me either.

I doubt they are very popular in Northampton either.

Edited by AppyDAZE

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I can remember County regularly having gates of around 5000 in the 70s & 80s.

In the 1st Division! 

Notts Co's average attendances in their 3 year stint at the top:

80/81: 11,600  (the same season, we were relegated from D2 and drew 9,700).

81/82: 10,000

82/83: 9,000.

Then they got back to the top in 91 with Warnock, and drew an average of: 10,900. Let's call that 11,000! The same season, we had an average of 13,495 (let's call that 13,500) for finishing 9th a division lower.

I always remember when we went there in '84 in the cup, they were First Division, the crowd was 11,000, 4000 of which were in the away end, and it was their biggest crowd of that season at that point.

It is bizarre to me how so many people compare us to minnows and not clubs with generally speaking equivalent means (number of seats, average attendances, season ticket holders). Notts County are small. We are middling. 

• Flames 1

22 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Notts County are a decent sized club. Oldham, Trannies likewise.

Still, don't let facts get in the way of your prejudice.

******* prejudice ????. It’s the guy’s OPINION not prejudice (rampant attendanceism presumably?) backed up by these clubs having lower attendances than us on a like for like basis for donkeys years. Perhaps you could introduce facts and explain which seasons the attendance was higher at the away game than the home game whenever we have played these clubs……then we can all apologise to you for disgraceful prejudice……

On 05/01/2023 at 12:26, Bristol Oil Services said:

Too true. Look what happened to Rushden after Max Griggs and his cash were no longer on the scene and in Scotland Gretna went the same way.