IGNORED

Craig Pawson

BilboBaggins05

3 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

If you’re referring to their player not leaving the field when being treated by the trainer - that’s because a Yellow card was shown for the tackle and under those situations the player doesn’t have to leave the field.  Them’s the rules!

Ah, OK, thanks. I didn't realise that. @1960maaan - here's our answer!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Two incidents summed up how Referees go about their days work when Reffing us.

The one above, where the injured player doesn't have to leave the pitch and the one where their player gets booked and gets a free kick.

I'd love to see the assessors report and the refs reply, another letter incoming :preacher:

I’ve just got home (live in S Devon) and watched the highlights on BBC - the Semenyo one looks a stonewall pen - their player takes Semenyo out and definitively doesn’t get any of the ball and Pawson was well placed to see that. I really think Prem refs have got so used to using VAR they are not good enough to ref without it!

Either bring VAR into the Championship or don’t give us Prem refs!

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

If you’re referring to their player not leaving the field when being treated by the trainer - that’s because a Yellow card was shown for the tackle and under those situations the player doesn’t have to leave the field.  Them’s the rules!

There was a chart doing the rounds about 6 months ago that showed the number of minutes played per penalty for about 8 leagues across Europe - is that the one? We were far and away the highest. But I don't think that's been updated since - I had a look a week or two ago and could only find the data from way back then.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, italian dave said:

There was a chart doing the rounds about 6 months ago that showed the number of minutes played per penalty for about 8 leagues across Europe - is that the one? We were far and away the highest. But I don't think that's been updated since - I had a look a week or two ago and could only find the data from way back then.

We were 600th out of 600 in waiting the longest for a penalty and that was round about March, it was about the same time as Oxford were awarded four penalties in one game at Gillingham!!!!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, harrys said:

We were 600th out of 600 in waiting the longest for a penalty and that was round about March, it was about the same time as Oxford were awarded four penalties in one game at Gillingham!!!!

I think this was the one I saw - looks at

a) penalties per minute played and

b) penalties per "big chance" - not sure how that's defined, but presumably it tries to factor in how many times you create attacking chances generally, which seems fair.

Any which way, we are top/bottom by a mile. It's a year out of date though. A year in which we haven't had a penalty though!

https://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2021/wp364/en/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched these highlights , Semenyo & Atkinson look easy Pens to give and the only way I can explain the other one?
The Ref saw a foul by us , played advantage then called it back to book the defender .....

But the Ref doesn't wave play on, he never points as though to give a free kick . Just books the defender and gives him the kick.

Pathetic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64165605

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just watched these highlights , Semenyo & Atkinson look easy Pens to give and the only way I can explain the other one?
The Ref saw a foul by us , played advantage then called it back to book the defender .....

But the Ref doesn't wave play on, he never points as though to give a free kick . Just books the defender and gives him the kick.

Pathetic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64165605

Exactly. So should be 3 pens. 

Nigel Pearson was left to sarcastically question whether there had been a rule change after Bristol City were denied a number of penalties in their FA Cup draw with Swansea.

He said: "We had a go in both halves. Two penalty decisions... no idea why they weren't given in the first half. Let's not waste energy on them.

"Every set-play or every time something goes into their box, they are actually allowed to grab our players and pull them to the ground. I wasn't aware there was a rule change, to be honest with you but there seems to be a rule change that we weren't aware of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I didn't know that, but I didn't think a foul was given let alone a card, as the ball was cleared and both teams played on. So I was wrong in my assumption, and the Ref was just plain wrong . ?

Naismith was booked, therefore Piroe didn’t need to leave the field of play.

50 minutes ago, kit said:

I thought that was the rule but I rarely, if ever, see a player not having to leave the pitch after an opposition player is cautioned and they've received treatment. 

I think most refs have forgotten it.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Genuinely starting to wonder if all PGMOL-affiliated officials have a longstanding bet going on and whoever finally caves in and gives us a penalty has to pay every other referees' mortgages and/or rent for a year...

Waiting for the betting value of "penalty given to Bristol City" to further increase: when it will guarantee a great amount of money, one of them will give us a penalty - probably an invented one, like a a handball after a corner - and the referees involved will pay - and gain - a lot of money (obviously asking a close person to bet for them). Risky, but if cheating players can do it...why not?

It's the more realistic explanation. If there is another one, surely it's not "oh well, they are poor" or "ah we are so unlucky" anymore.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Naismith was booked, therefore Piroe didn’t need to leave the field of play

I just realised Was getting mixed up with the Naismith foul (definite booking) and the one the Ref stopped the game for the Swansea player having a knock to the back. Another baffling decision IMO, I thought we had the ball and he stopped play to give their keeper the ball.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I just realised Was getting mixed up with the Naismith foul (definite booking) and the one the Ref stopped the game for the Swansea player having a knock to the back. Another baffling decision IMO, I thought we had the ball and he stopped play to give their keeper the ball.

I commented on this at the time (so did my wife about my language directed at the TV), we had the ball looking to start another attack, ref stopped play for non serious or head injury, player got up and walked off with physio ready to come back on, ref gives drop ball to keeper.

27 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Nigel Pearson was left to sarcastically question whether there had been a rule change after Bristol City were denied a number of penalties in their FA Cup draw with Swansea.

He said: "We had a go in both halves. Two penalty decisions... no idea why they weren't given in the first half. Let's not waste energy on them.

"Every set-play or every time something goes into their box, they are actually allowed to grab our players and pull them to the ground. I wasn't aware there was a rule change, to be honest with you but there seems to be a rule change that we weren't aware of.

I appreciate Pearson sort of has to take this line, but I'd love to see us get really aggressive on the whole penalty thing.

I'm f****** sick of it. It's farcical and it's costing us points (or in this case, cup progression).

I'm at the point now where I'd support the club/players in kicking up as much fuss as possible.

• Let's instruct the media team to post a stonewaller we haven't been awarded on twitter every day and tag the the EFL in it.
  • Let's have the players warm up in T shirts that read "428 days since our last competitive penalty".
  • Let's even delay the start of our next game by 10 minutes in a protest where our players refuse to enter the pitch.

It's absolutely unacceptable and not something to be quiet and stoic about. At best, it's incomprehensibly imbalanced incompetence from officials. At worst, it's suspicious and calls into question the integrity of the entire league.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I appreciate Pearson sort of has to take this line, but I'd love to see us get really aggressive on the whole penalty thing.

I'm f****** sick of it. It's farcical and it's costing us points (or in this case, cup progression).

I'm at the point now where I'd support the club/players in kicking up as much fuss as possible.

• Let's instruct the media team to post a stonewaller we haven't been awarded on twitter every day and tag the the EFL in it.
  • Let's have the players warm up in T shirts that read "428 days since our last competitive penalty".
  • Let's even delay the start of our next game by 10 minutes in a protest where our players refuse to enter the pitch.

It's absolutely unacceptable and not something to be quiet and stoic about. At best, it's incomprehensibly imbalanced incompetence from officials. At worst, it's suspicious and calls into question the integrity of the entire league.

We should be doing this anyway, even more so on the pitch. If we get an appeal when the ball is dead players should flood the ref, put him under pressure, intimidate him. What ref has the bottle to book 7/8/9 players in one go? It doesn’t happen.

We are too nice, we know refs are weak and will favour those who scare them. More Roy Keane 90s Man Utd please.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That was indeed baffling….I was sat in the wheelchair area right behind the practice net, and gave the ref pelters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vidal said:

We should be doing this anyway, even more so on the pitch. If we get an appeal when the ball is dead players should flood the ref, put him under pressure, intimidate him. What ref has the bottle to book 7/8/9 players in one go? It doesn’t happen.

We are too nice, we know refs are weak and will favour those who scare them. More Roy Keane 90s Man Utd please.

This is a problem that needs addressing. Swansea made a number of fouls in the first half today, not one City player asking/pestering the ref to take some action. Swansea were then starting to kick the ball away, yet again no City player taking action.

Naismith made a foul later into the first half, and you could see the difference…

16 minutes ago, Vidal said:

Crowd need to play their part too. Really be proactive, holler- yell- there were little smatterings of anger after the first 2 penalty shouts were turned down but this regressed and dissipated sharply.

Some of this is a bit intangible but it's a team effort. Get right into the officials, noise- anger. Righteous anger at our current raw deal.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1