IGNORED

Food Poisoning in Hospitality today?

Norn Iron

My mate, his daughter ( our goddaughter) and son treated themselves to the Hospitality package today (Swansea FA Cup). Approaching half time and his teenage daughter knew she was going to throw-up and not because of the football on offer.

She made it to the gangway before vomiting. The steward called for a cleaner which was the right and proper response.

Currently only the young son is ok. The family have suggested that the only item of food he didn't eat were the sausages.

The evidence suggests the illnesses are food related especially within the time frame of eating.

If anyone else has a tummy bug/been sick as a result of today's visit to Ashton Gate's food outlets, please write to the club. 

Food poisoning doesn't usually take effect for several hours, if not a day or so - so someone being sick at half time, after a pre-match sausage is unlikely to be as a result of food poisoning.

It's far more likely that the household had contracted some sort of bug or virus - which they are probably now responsible for passing on to others - although, of course, they wouldn't have know it if they were feeling fine before the game. 

Edited by Bar BS3
  • Like 13

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Food poisoning doesn't usually take effect for several hours, if not a day or so - so someone being sick at half time, after a pre-match sausage is unlikely to be as a result of food poisoning.

It's far more likely that the household had contracted some sort of bug or virus - which they are probably now responsible for passing on to others - although, of course, they wouldn't have know it if they were feeling fine before the game. 

Depends on type of food , it can be within an hour.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

My wife used to be a staff nurse. If she says you can be ill within an hour of eating, then I believe my wife!

• Like 2

Yes, of course it could be - but it would be more unlikely than likely for food poisoning to kick in as quickly as that.

Especially with the early kick off time meaning food has less time to sit around after preparation. 

It would be extremely negligent if food hygiene safe practise hadn't been adhered to at an outlet such as Ashton gate - of course not impossible - but unlikely. 

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

My thoughts also

1 minute ago, Norn Iron said:

My wife used to be a staff nurse. If she says you can be ill within an hour of eating, then I believe my wife!

Her prognosis is probably more accurate than mine, although I am qualified to Management level 2 

• Like 1

Sorry, my quoting replies have gone to pot since I got a new phone! Keeps jumping all over the place and not letting me type what I want.

Management level 2 in SFBB food preparation.

I'm not saying that it's not FP, but it would be a very quick reaction if it was. It's far more usual for it to take several hours, if not a couple of days. 

Edited by Bar BS3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Sorry, my quoting replies have gone to pot since I got a new phone! Keeps jumping all over the place and not letting me type what I want.

Management level 2 in SFBB food preparation.

I'm not saying that it's not FP, but it would be a very quick reaction if it was. It's far more usual for it to take several hours, if not a couple of days. 

You've got quoting issues on your phone?  Check out what I typed into the search engine at the top of my screenshot. Amazingly, Dr Google knew what I meant!

• Haha 9

It's less about the food, more about the type of infection. staphylococcus aureus can produce symptoms with 30 minutes, given the right conditions. It is usually caused by poor sanitary procedures by the staff or other customers, i.e. washing hands and moving between work stations. It's more likely to have been caused by something that wasn't cooked, salads, sandwiches, buffet type food. 

At the risk of sounding like I am pulling rank, I have an Advanced Food Hygiene qualification and could use the letters Member of Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (MREHIS) after my name, if I could be bothered. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It's less about the food, more about the type of infection. staphylococcus aureus can produce symptoms with 30 minutes, given the right conditions. It is usually caused by poor sanitary procedures by the staff or other customers, i.e. washing hands and moving between work stations. It's more likely to have been caused by something that wasn't cooked, salads, sandwiches, buffet type food. 

At the risk of sounding like I am pulling rank, I have an Advanced Food Hygiene qualification and could use the letters Member of Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (MREHIS) after my name, if I could be bothered. :) 

I wanted to give you a laughing icon as the last sentence made I laugh. However, I thought a like icon would be better because of the info. Sadly, I can only give one..... but I can't be bothered to make  decision!

• Haha 3

Is there any real need to post this on a forum without 100% certainty of the cause , even then why not just report it to the club. It just seems like another stick to try and beat the club with whilst things are not the best on the pitch . With the power of social media before you know it there will be 50 people in hospital on deaths door after having a meal in hospitality as Ashton gate or some sort of scaremongering. In my opinion not a great post . Personally have done many corporate days at the gate over the last 25-30 years and have always thoroughly enjoyed the occasion the experience the food to varying degrees and Paul cheesley . What comes after the meal on the pitch well that has been a bit 50 / 50 and that’s being polite .

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, redkev said:

Is there any real need to post this on a forum without 100% certainty of the cause , even then why not just report it to the club. It just seems like another stick to try and beat the club with whilst things are not the best on the pitch . With the power of social media before you know it there will be 50 people in hospital on deaths door after having a meal in hospitality as Ashton gate or some sort of scaremongering. In my opinion not a great post . Personally have done many corporate days at the gate over the last 25-30 years and have always thoroughly enjoyed the occasion the experience the food to varying degrees and Paul cheesley . What comes after the meal on the pitch well that has been a bit 50 / 50 and that’s being polite .

It's not BCFC bashing at all and there was certainly no intention of scaremongering.

It was posted just in case others have reacted badly to a meal today and were wondering why. It was a buffet meal with food brought in uncovered apparently. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Emma WN said:

This is quite an allegation and I'm assuming unsubstantiated by a visit to a Dr, hospital or another medical practice. This should be taken up with the club direct and not via social media. 

Emma served them the dodgy sausages. 

• Haha 11

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

‘MREHIS’ Would be a great user name, how do you pronounce it?

11 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

It's not BCFC bashing at all and there was certainly no intention of scaremongering.

It was posted just in case others have reacted badly to a meal today and were wondering why. It was a buffet meal with food brought in uncovered apparently. 

I do take your point iron , but there you go UNCOVERED APPARENTLY 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Emma WN said:

This is quite an allegation and I'm assuming unsubstantiated by a visit to a Dr, hospital or another medical practice. This should be taken up with the club direct and not via social media. 

I totally agree hence my post saying this .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

My mate, his daughter ( our goddaughter) and son treated themselves to the Hospitality package today (Swansea FA Cup). Approaching half time and his teenage daughter knew she was going to throw-up and not because of the football on offer.

She made it to the gangway before vomiting. The steward called for a cleaner which was the right and proper response.

Currently only the young son is ok. The family have suggested that the only item of food he didn't eat were the sausages.

The evidence suggests the illnesses are food related especially within the time frame of eating.

If anyone else has a tummy bug/been sick as a result of today's visit to Ashton Gate's food outlets, please write to the club. 

Not possible to be ill from food poisoning within a hour. 
It will be a bug, loads of them about. 

14 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

I think it’s more about how you have worded the title 

it can be seen as slanderous 

may pay you to ask mods to remove