IGNORED

Food Poisoning in Hospitality today?

Norn Iron

6 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Not possible to be ill from food poisoning within a hour. 
It will be a bug, loads of them about. 

It may well be a bug, but I can assure you it is possible to suffer from food poisoning.

I have had the unfortunate experience on more than one occasion of witnessing this personally, usually due to eating ‘dodgy’ seafood, especially shellfish and particularly oysters; the latter, of course, generally being eaten raw.

Fortunately, I have only suffered one such incident, due to eating a steak tartare, which I discovered subsequently had been left on display in the presentation cabinet of the restaurant - including the egg yolk!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It may well be a bug, but I can assure you it is possible to suffer from food poisoning.

I have had the unfortunate experience on more than one occasion of witnessing this personally, usually due to eating ‘dodgy’ seafood, especially shellfish and particularly oysters; the latter, of course, generally being eaten raw.

Fortunately, I have only suffered one such incident, due to eating a steak tartare, which I discovered subsequently had been left on display in the presentation cabinet of the restaurant - including the egg yolk!

When did they start offering Steak Tartare on the menu at The Lamb ???

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

I wanted to give you a laughing icon as the last sentence made I laugh. However, I thought a like icon would be better because of the info. Sadly, I can only give one..... but I can't be bothered to make  decision!

I have put the laugh emoji on your post so you can use the "like," one on Mine now. :)

43 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

‘MREHIS’ Would be a great user name, how do you pronounce it?

M Re hiss :)

35 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Not possible to be ill from food poisoning within a hour. 
It will be a bug, loads of them about. 

Yes it is, I just told you. :)

1 minute ago, TomF said:

I got food poisoning about a year ago at a local pub that offers great views across to wales - I didn’t assume straight away that it was food poisoning as a crohns sufferer that it could have been that.  After 3-4 days of it I had to go to docs and after a stool sample it was confirmed by the GP - at which point by law they had to contact environmental health. It’s only at that point did I figure it all out (another person in party fell I’ll same time) but it was a full 24+ hours before started being ill 

Royal, Windmill or Ship?

24 hours sounds more like campylobacter. A very different bug, could have been introduced before it even reached the venue.

Edited by Port Said Red

Just now, TomF said:

Well it’s not the closed one.  It was exactly that, but two of us only ate there and hadn’t been in company either before or after.   Defo avoided the venue since 

Thanks it would be good to know as a local myself. The closed one was still open this time last year, only reason I asked. It's due to reopen soon as a Chef and Brewer isn't it?

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Royal, Windmill or Ship?

24 hours sounds more like campylobacter. A very different bug, could have been introduced before it even reached the venue.

Campylobacter is not pleasant, had it once and environment health, as Tom alluded to, were informed - best diet I ever had to lose weight quickly! Also, didn’t eat at either The Ship (good old Vic!) the Royal or the Hole in One!

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Food Poisoning in Hospitality today?
2 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

My mate, his daughter ( our goddaughter) and son treated themselves to the Hospitality package today (Swansea FA Cup). Approaching half time and his teenage daughter knew she was going to throw-up and not because of the football on offer.

She made it to the gangway before vomiting. The steward called for a cleaner which was the right and proper response.

Currently only the young son is ok. The family have suggested that the only item of food he didn't eat were the sausages.

The evidence suggests the illnesses are food related especially within the time frame of eating.

If anyone else has a tummy bug/been sick as a result of today's visit to Ashton Gate's food outlets, please write to the club. 

Undercooked pork is very dangerous it could be a couple of things but it sounds like it could be trichinosis.  That can be very serious it's worth getting checked by a GP it's caused by a parasite. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Undercooked pork is very dangerous it could be a couple of things but it sounds like it could be trichinosis.  That can be very serious it's worth getting checked by a GP it's caused by a parasite. 

Marriott Swindon - Pork Ribs is the only time I’ve had what I believe was food poisoning.  When you don’t know whether to sit or kneel, it’s not very pleasant.

12 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Trichinosis won't show for at least a day, sometimes as much as a week, which can make it difficult to trace the source. I think it's unlikely here.

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Bloody Nigel Pearson. I told you he wasn’t grilling them sausages properly    

Food poisoning sickness etc in an hour Possible, but not likely, and I don’t care who you talk too! 

Last time I will say it "Staph" can cause symptoms as quick as 30 minutes, and is the most common form of food poisoning in the UK. 

But to emphasise my earlier point, it could come from other customers as easily as the employees. Someone in front of you at the buffet picking up items then putting them back, shared nibble plates for example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

At the risk of sounding like I am pulling rank, I have an Advanced Food Hygiene qualification and could use the letters Member of Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (MREHIS) after my name, if I could be bothered. :) 

I could use RFS Cert. Arb. although quite how tree surgery is relevant is up for debate, bit extreme as a curative.

Do any of your other readers have superfluous qualifications entitling them to add letters after their name?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, PortSaidRed MREHIS said:

Last time I will say it "Staph" can cause symptoms as quick as 30 minutes, and is the most common form of food poisoning in the UK. 

A 30 second check on our friend Google confirms exactly what you state.

I must say, though, that I was surprised to read that ‘Staph’ is the most common form of food poisoning, as I was always under the impression that ‘most’ cases of food poisoning manifest themselves after 24 hours or so.

I assume that is because other types of food poisoning are due to inherent problems within the food itself, whereas ‘Staph’ is frequently due to poor personal hygiene.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PortSaidRed MREHIS said:

But to emphasise my earlier point, it could come from other customers as easily as the employees. Someone in front of you at the buffet picking up items then putting them back, shared nibble plates for example.

Last time I say it. Possible but not likely.